IGNORED

Refurbished systems?

Video

Someone broke in and stole a bunch of stuff. I want to get a new 360 and wondered if anyone had experience with refurbs.

Im more likely to buy a new one, but I like the idea of an older model because you still have alternative means of hooking it up instead of just HDMI like the e series is locked down to. Yeah I got a flat screen but I prefer my HD CRT for looks.

If it was like 100$ for the refurbished ones I'd go for that, but it seems they aren't much less than a new one. Anybody got experience? Can I trust a refurbished one or should I just get a new one?

They also got me ps2 and Wii. More pissed about the games and years worth of saves as the consoles are easy to come by. The collection of need for speed and spyro will be harder to replace and psx memory cards. For Wii they only got new super Mario bros, and Xbox was just minecraft. They also got my game.com lol, poor bastards, now I gotta find duke nukem and resident evil again.

Could have been worse if they got in my room where most my stuff is. But my room is an apocalyptic mess and I pitty anybody who opens that door. I imagine it would look like the ark of the covenant scene from Indiana Jones if someone did that.

Typically depending who does the refurb it's as good as new, such as if it came from the manufacturer. I can't speak for non-Nintendo, but they basically brute force test every single part and if anything is off they replace the module or if it's attached the entire board, drive, etc. The worst you end up from them is a scuffed up console body exterior and that's it. And you'll get a normal as new 1yr warranty on all parts/labor.

Yeah I need to check GameStop too. I just would like an older system cause hookup is more versatile. If I was to get an e series I'd likely buy new since the price is so close from what I've seen so far, unless the refurbished one had a big HDD or something. My last system was only 256, I'd like a 512 GB.

GameCube was a well built system. Mine still works fine, but the latch jammed so I have to weigh the lid down to use it. Then, Nintendo does tend make good hardware.

Edited by Video

With refurbished systems, it's always about who does the refurbishment. If they're refurbished by the original manufacturer or a noted reseller, you're probably ok, since in those cases there will still be some kind of limited warranty (important, just in case you get a lemon). For some though, "Refurbished" simply means "we wiped it down and put a can of air through it."

That said, I'd totally avoid any first-generation XBOX 360. The X-clamp on the heat sink is basically a design flaw and given time, it will fail (I went through two of them and repaired it myself before it failed the last time). I've never had any issues with the slim model (which you can still use a standard AV cable with).

• Like 1

GameStop "Refurbished" = crap in a box.

Factory "Refurbished" = good as new, usually.

Also, don't buy a 360 prior to the Slim models. The first four to five years the platform was available was when the Red Ring fiasco was common. Later models don't have these issues, at least not to the same level that earlier models do. The Slim (mid-2010) still has outputs for component and composite, along with HDMI. This is probably the way you want to go if you really have to have analog connections.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

I agree with other posts about gamestop.

I have refurbished 360s myself and they've all lasted a long time but the problem will come back eventually, if just a reflow was done. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for a working pre slim model Xbox 360. And I wouldn't get one from Gamestop for sure the work they do to them is total crap. I've opened one up before that was missing pieces and way(and I mean WAY) too much thermal compound was used. They don't know what they are doing at all, trust me. Look for one that has "warranty seal intact" that way you know it hasn't been messed with, actually search with that phrase in ebay when looking for one.

Another thing I always tell people(people will disagree with me but I don't care) is to always lay them horizontally, never stand them vertically. The Xbox 360 has two intakes for air, one on each side, and one exhaust on the back. If you stand it up vertically you cover one of them, and then you cover the other one on the top with a hard drive, which limits airflow. Also it is better for the processors if there isn't any weird stress being put on them with weight of heatsink pulling on them when they are getting hot and mounted vertically.

Blow all the dust out of it you can before using. If it does mess up and I'm still around here I could fix it for fair price.

EDIT:

Quote by Austin...

The Slim (mid-2010) still has outputs for component and composite, along with HDMI. This is probably the way you want to go if you really have to have analog connections.

I didn't realize that and in that case I strongly agree to get the slim instead if it has the outputs you need.

Edited by SignGuy81

I've never thought of it this way before but you have showed me an advantage I guess to digital games as apposed to physical. They can steal your console but you still have your games if you go digital.

If I were you I would get a good guard dog for when you aren't home. I like Chows myself because they are what I grew up with. At the moment though all I have is a cat.

Once upon a time I got a stupid urge to buy an Xbox One. I went to the store and their demo unit was broke. Made me wonder if they had issues so I waited. A few days later I came across a great sounding deal on a refurbed XB One. It arrived looking great and packed like from factory. It started up fine but every game I tried to run would freeze after a few minutes of play. The seller took it back and refunded me but, it wasted a lot of my time and not in a good way. That kind of put me off the whole XBox thing.

Once upon a time I got a stupid urge to buy an Xbox One. I went to the store and their demo unit was broke. Made me wonder if they had issues so I waited. A few days later I came across a great sounding deal on a refurbed XB One. It arrived looking great and packed like from factory. It started up fine but every game I tried to run would freeze after a few minutes of play. The seller took it back and refunded me but, it wasted a lot of my time and not in a good way. That kind of put me off the whole XBox thing.

More than likely APU was getting hot due to poor job with thermal paste if it was refurbed or possibly ram not sure. I don't think I would have let that put me off of a particular console really that type of thing can happen with Xbox or PS, and you really don't know what you are getting if you get a unit that has been refurbished unless it was done at the factory. Was this one factory refurbished? Either way Xbox is great. I love my 360 and Xbox One, but Sony is good too just depends which has the games you want.

Was this one factory refurbished? Either way Xbox is great. I love my 360 and Xbox One, but Sony is good too just depends which has the games you want.

Not sure if it was factory or not. The repack was excellent. Everything looked new except it had a refurbished sticker on it. Really wanted it to work. I can see how it got past the refurb though since they would have had to play it a while before it crashed.

Like they say, it depends on who does the refurb. I saw a refurbisher job posted the other day for like $9 per hour. That kind of pay won't usually get the workers who will go the extra mile.

• Like 1

Like they say, it depends on who does the refurb. I saw a refurbisher job posted the other day for like $9 per hour. That kind of pay won't usually get the workers who will go the extra mile.

That and they are probably rushed on top of that, quantity over quality.

Sorry to hear your stuff got lifted, that never fails to make a crappy day.

Lots of good replies here already, but like others have said factory refurb is better than Gamestop/EB Games refurb (never, ever buy that crap). Get yourself a Slim Xbox 360 and you'll be pretty happy with it, first-gen 360's aren't very reliable.

Cool thanks guys. Yeah, by older I was thinking an s series rather than the original fat one. I'd like to borrow a fat one sometime to get my original profile and games, but I don't want to own it lol.

I'll look into a factory refurbish. Where do I get one? Xbox.com?

Cool thanks guys. Yeah, by older I was thinking an s series rather than the original fat one. I'd like to borrow a fat one sometime to get my original profile and games, but I don't want to own it lol.

I'll look into a factory refurbish. Where do I get one? Xbox.com?

You shouldn't need a fat xbox for that, all you need to do is sign in on whatever xbox 360 you get whether slim or fat, and then you can download your games. Are you saying you still have the hard drive for your fat 360 and it didn't get stolen? If so you can still use it on a slim model. You have to take it out of the housing and it will slide in and plug in on the 360 slim, and if you are afraid of loosing connection or anything you can get a shell for the hard drive also.

Here is a shell for it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-Caddy-Case-Shell-Cover-for-Xbox-360-Slim-250G-320G-500GB-/222267082077?hash=item33c026855d:g:7e8AAOSwOgdYyapU

Just ignore the 250/320/500GB because it is compatible with all of them. Just remove it from the 360 fat shell and put into the 360 slim shell and good to go.