IGNORED

Cool 2600 games never released for 800/xl/xe

manterola

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I was taking with a friend about how much I liked chopper command at the time, and how is that was never released for Atari 800.

Same thing about Enduro. I really enjoyed playing it. Great American Race it a good substitute, but it would be great to see these games in the atari 800 platform.

Do you know other good 2600 games that were never released for Atari 800?

Just food for thought.

At least Night Driver and Time Pilot already exist as modern homebrews, if the OP's intention was to recommend games for developers to port.

And that Time Pilot port looks wonderful, too. I can't wait for the completed version. :)

2600 envy? Aside from some wonderful homebrews like Chetiry, Princess Rescue, and Strat-o-Gems Deluxe, the only vintage VCS game I wanted on the A8 was Winter Games.

At least Night Driver and Time Pilot already exist as modern homebrews, if the OP's intention was to recommend games for developers to port.

I'm working on a cross compiler to get Atari 2600 BASIC games running on the A8, ideally with no changes to the code.

It might be possible to build a translator along the same lines to translate 2600 ROM dissemblies.

• Like 5

Would have loved Phoenix on the 800, only knew it from the Arcade and loved it.

Was about to post Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back but a quick glance at Atarimania showed that it was cloned in 1983 (with no publisher listed). Never saw this BITD.

Yar's Revenge and Solaris come to mind as well.

Night Driver is one of my favorite 2600 games, but the 8-bit title still doesn't work on an NTSC Atari. Has anyone ever modified Night Driver for the 8-bit to work with an NTSC?

Edited by ACML

We have Yar's Strike.

Yeah, which was created by one of my best Atari friends Lennart (Thelen)... back in the day that we had an atari coding 'group' called Inspiration Soft. At this moment he is not so busy with Atari 8bit, but I'm sure one day he will be back... (At least I hope so).

• Like 3

I always find these threads useful. We are in the business of plugging holes in the Atari 8-bit library. I did my own port of something based on Omega Race called "Delta Space Arena" and a version of Laser Blast called "Laser Blast X".

I see Klax and Solar Fox listed here also.

Klax I looked at it and its graphics probably will not require intense ML speeds, so I suggested it inside the Mad Pascal Programming area.

Solar Fox may need to be under a different title because there was something going on between the original author and Nintendo having a game call "Star Fox"

I have to see this Empire Strikes Back game.

Edited by peteym5

Night Driver is one of my favorite 2600 games, but the 8-bit title still doesn't work on an NTSC Atari. Has anyone ever modified Night Driver for the 8-bit to work with an NTSC?

um no because it's completely impossible because out of cycle blah blah blah... we all know it isn't true but it is a convenient excuse :)

wasn't it rumored to be an ntsc fix or something though... to be honest it all goes by so fast...

Licencing issue(s) aside, considering the 2600 and Intellivision have a port, as well as a unreleased prototype for the ColecoVision, it would have been nice to see "Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man" under the 8-bit line...and the 5200 too, of course. ;)

Was about to post Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back but a quick glance at Atarimania showed that it was cloned in 1983 (with no publisher listed). Never saw this BITD.

I would still like to see it ported properly to the A8. The flight controls in the clone are too different from the 2600 version. This was one of my favorites on the 2600.

Sent from my Lenovo A536 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...