IGNORED

Wifi modem! Telnet from any computer with a serial port

Vorticon

Did you ever resolve the issue with transferring files?

I know both Insane Multitasker and myself have had virtually no time to work tracing the issue.

I probably will not have any time for at least 2 more months as I am not living in my house thanks to the hurricane. So until my repairs are finished my TI dedication beyond here on AtariAge is on hold.

I really think it is going to have to be a firmware update to resolve the issue because in previous version of 'tcpser' I experienced the same exact issue. But when Chris Osborne released a newer version of tcpser it resolve the issue. We do know what he fixed in his code, but mapping that to the firmware has been hard for me to diagnose.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I connected a Vonets WiFi device (shown below) up to my TI back in 2015, and it works fine... except when I change my routers PW, then I have to disconnect it and hook it up to my PC to reset the password. Would I gain anything in daily operation if I upgraded with a new gadget?

gallery_35324_1027_26764.jpg

I'm going for a similar setup. Lantronic -> wifi access point.

• Like 1

I went ahead and picked one up to have "just in case".

That´s my strategy :)

It's nice and small and all, but I've decided to pass for three reasons.

1) It's probably not compatible with Stuarts Browser, while the UDS-10 I have currently works with it and TIMXT.

2) I'm going to see what develops on the TIPI front, so I'll continue to use what I know is compatible with everything.

3) I have too much JUNK cluttering up the den, and need to start downsizing in the next year or two.

• Like 1

yes that´s right Omega, TIPI will be the best device, next to the FinalGrom99 and the UberGrom imho

I can´t await TIPI, but I will not be an early hardcore user here. Early buyer, yes of course :) Too many other things on the roadmap.

As this "WiFi Modem RS232" here is a bit like "universal" for old computers, this is another reason for me to must-have-it.

And of course, it was not available for the last year or two (or so) ?

This was the trigger :waving: thanks again to Greg, and good luck that I saw his post just in time

The question is how many modems they have built, and they are going to build, and who is going to build them, at all......

I will also play around a little bit with the ibm5155er and my old 286er. hope that´s fun

• Like 2

The WiModem232 will work with any computer that has a standard RS-232 port. It won't matter what software you use with it. Serial is serial. The WiModem232 emulates a Hayes modem, so if you could plug a Hayes modem into your computer and use it, then you can use this device! Some computers might require a gender changer or special cable - but the same would be true if using a real dial-up modem as well.

The WiModem232 is not the same modem that this thread is about. I have had the WiModem for the C64/128 for nearly 2 years and people asked me to make a universal (RS-232) version, so I did and just now released it for the first time. The WiModem232 offers many advantages over the WiFi232 modem that this thread is about, such as: it's FCC/CE approved, ALL of the RS-232 lines (Rx/Tx/RTS/CTS/DTR/DSR/DCD/RI) are supported so you can run a BBS with it, there is 3MB of on board storage that will be used for emulating a micro hard drive, there is a OLED screen option, it uses all surface mount components for small size and low power requirements, and more!

This will be a normally stocked item at CBMSTUFF.COM, along with my other products. There won't be a problem getting them.

Edited by JimDrew
  • Like 4

The WiModem232 will work with any computer that has a standard RS-232 port. It won't matter what software you use with it. Serial is serial. The WiModem232 emulates a Hayes modem, so if you could plug a Hayes modem into your computer and use it, then you can use this device! Some computers might require a gender changer or special cable - but the same would be true if using a real dial-up modem as well.

The WiModem232 is not the same modem that this thread is about. I have had the WiModem for the C64/128 for nearly 2 years and people asked me to make a universal (RS-232) version, so I did and just now released it for the first time. The WiModem232 offers many advantages over the WiFi232 modem that this thread is about, such as: it's FCC/CE approved, ALL of the RS-232 lines (Rx/Tx/RTS/CTS/DTR/DSR/DCD/RI) are supported so you can run a BBS with it, there is 3MB of on board storage that will be used for emulating a micro hard drive, there is a OLED screen option, it uses all surface mount components for small size and low power requirements, and more!

This will be a normally stocked item at CBMSTUFF.COM, along with my other products. There won't be a problem getting them.

Looks like a nice device ;) Does it use Telnet, like the UDS devices and TcpSer, or some other method to connect to something like a BBS? (One of the problems that we have experienced with wifi232 and earlier iterations of modem emulation software is with 8-bit transfers and the connection mode negotiations.) Thanks for sharing this here!

Hey Jim -

Working on a project to put the WiFi modem in a TI cartridge using at Atmega 1284P's serial pins and a terminal program on the Atmega that is accessing the 1284P's TTL serial pins. Do you have something that I can interface with 3.3V or 5V TTL serial that accomplishes the same thing? Someone else made a RS232 Wifi adapter with an ESP8266, but they weren't willing to separate out the ESP8266 and firmware from the rest of their RS232 hardware (even though you can remove it.) We thought about rolling our own with an ESP8266, but I can't even find a really good solid firmware for the thing with the Hayes command set that works really well.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The WiModems use telnet for the connection, and there is a setting you can do to make it handle the special telnet commands, required for connections to tty.sdf.org:23 and others that use telnet command sequencing. Regular BBS's don't require this.

Doesn't the TI-99/4A have a serial port? I only make dedicated devices for the C64/128/SX-64/Plus4 and now one that works with standard RS-232 (typical +12v/-12v). The WiModem for the C64 uses 5v signal levels, and has true level converters on the board to handle the 3.3v requirement of the RF module.

I had to write the firmware from scratch. I did this a few years ago before any code started popping up for a basic WiFi bridge.

Edited by JimDrew
  • Like 1

The ti does but it requires a expansion box and card or sidecar rs232 or now the ubergrom has a uart as well..

Your device should work great for those though the ti rs232 is the same pinout so a null modem of sorts is required for any modem.

I ordered one should be here soon and I'll give it a full test on both sidecar and expansion box rs232.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

The WiModems use telnet for the connection, and there is a setting you can do to make it handle the special telnet commands, required for connections to tty.sdf.org:23 and others that use telnet command sequencing. Regular BBS's don't require this.

Doesn't the TI-99/4A have a serial port? I only make dedicated devices for the C64/128/SX-64/Plus4 and now one that works with standard RS-232 (typical +12v/-12v). The WiModem for the C64 uses 5v signal levels, and has true level converters on the board to handle the 3.3v requirement of the RF module.

I had to write the firmware from scratch. I did this a few years ago before any code started popping up for a basic WiFi bridge.

We do have a RS232 (either sidecar or in an expansion system), but for folks with an unexpanded system with maybe just 32K extra, we'd like to be able to run the Wi-Fi terminal emulator out of the cartridge with our "UberGROM" cart and the Atmega 1284P. I've done a PoC where I've interfaced an ESP8266 with the UberGROM after regulating the whole cartridge board down to 3.3V; works fine. The 1284P and TI can work fine with the 3.3V signals on the cartridge port. We just need to figure out what sort of Wi-Fi modem hardware we want to build on the special UberGROM cart so that users can just plug this "Telecom" cartridge in and then start BBS'ing and transferring files over Wi-Fi.

Well, if you made the C64 user port (edge card fingers) wired correctly to your TI system, you could then just plug in my WiModem (C64 version). It's 5vdc so it would work. The WiModem232 requires RS-232 levels (+/-12vdc), so it won't work directly with the 1284P. The WiModem for the C64 has Rx/Tx/RTS/CTS/DCD lines. It's missing RI (Ring Indicator), but it seems that most programs just look for "RING" to appear and then answer (like for a BBS).

May I ask how the Telnet session is negotiated? The connection mode(s) seem to be the biggest hassle between devices and the various modems out there.

There are two TI-based BBSs currently running on UDS devices (one is in my signature). The Telnet connection mode is required for negotiation but otherwise, all 8-bit transfers work just fine. Your device certainly is sounding promising... :)

Well, I was able to log on to Heatwave and FUSION with no issues, however, I was not able to transfer files. That is very odd as I can upload/download files with dozens of other BBS's with zero issues. Can you explain what you mean by "the telnet connection mode is required for negotiation?" I am not a Telnet guru. I just learned a few months ago that some portals require Telnet escaping to even connect and added support for that to the original WiModem (C64/128 version) that's been out for a few years. The WiModem/WiModem232 share the same code with some minors differences between the two (like the WiModem232 supports the RI, DTR, and DSR lines, whereas the WiModem doesn't). I would like to figure out whatever is causing the download errors and correct it. Thanks! What is a "UDS device"? I don't know about the TI-99/4A computers. :)

edit - so it seems that the UDS-10 is an Ethernet to serial bridge. That really shouldn't matter. I am stumped why I can connect, but can not download. I have downloaded at 115200 with zero errors in various protocols with other BBS's and using the WiBridge software for the PC. I tried every protocol that Heatwave has and all resulted in errors after the first block (or 1K). This is exactly what should happen if you have Telnet escaping turned ON while trying to download, but it is turned off in my testing.

Edited by JimDrew
  • Like 1