IGNORED

65C816 XL/XE OS and High Speed SIO

slx

The documentation for the 65C816 XL/XE OS shows a high-speed bit in the CIO table but I don't get whether it can be set up to support high-speed SIO like the Hiassoft patch, MyBios, etc., to allow faster booting and disk access with a SIO2SD when using regular DOS, LOAD, SAVE, etc. commands.

Any ideas?

I can't see any mention in that document.

Disk booting doesn't use CIO so wouldn't be relevant. I'm not even sure there's any Doses around that support changing SIO speed by way of CIO bitsettings. The problem with such an implementation is that modifications would be needed at the application level. Generally existing SIO speedups are implemented at the OS or Dos level which means anything higher up the chain doesn't need to be modified.

You could get yourself an U1MB and use the PBI-based HSIO driver (which implements Hias' code) with the 65C816 OS (or any other un-patched OS). Works a treat.

That machine has an Antonia 4MB so U1MB is not an option I am afraid.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I can't see any mention in that document.

Disk booting doesn't use CIO so wouldn't be relevant. I'm not even sure there's any Doses around that support changing SIO speed by way of CIO bitsettings. The problem with such an implementation is that modifications would be needed at the application level. Generally existing SIO speedups are implemented at the OS or Dos level which means anything higher up the chain doesn't need to be modified.

I re-read that and found that I had glanced through the doc too fast. Of course it's not CIO but status bit 16 in the @: pseudo-device that shows fast SIO access.

This is set automatically for US Doubler and Indus drives so I will try if changing the setting to Turbo in the boot menu will do improved speed on a SIO2SD.