Photo

New Atari 800

15 replies to this topic

#1 Skeeter OFFLINE  

Skeeter

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:42 PM

Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have poked around the forums before but never registered until recently. I will admit that the news of the Ataribox piqued my interest and pushed me towards signing up.

That said, a little background. I am 62 years old. Was 24 back in 1979 when I got my first Atari computer, a 400. Before that I had an Atari 2600. When the 400 came out I was interested in the better games of course but also wanted to do a little more than game. Moved on from the 400 to a 800 and a 520ST. Sold them all when I got married in 1990. Now I’m about to become the proud owner of what I hope is a pristine condition 800. I can’t wait to get it and get going again.

It's coming with an AtariMax 8 mbit cart pre-loaded with some games and I'll probably be ordering the programmer's kit in the near future as well. I've been playing around with Altirra on the emulation side for a while now and it's been great. But I have always wanted to get the real hardware back and within the next week or so I should. Of all the Atari's I had back in the day the 800 is the one I miss the most. Excited to say she's coming home soon.

Looking forward to contributing when I can and learning and re-learning from the community here. Thanks for having me.

#2 Firedawg OFFLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• 396 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:08 PM

Welcome aboard Skeeter. Glad to have you. Enjoy one of the best Atari forums around as you already know this.

#3 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,376 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:14 PM

Welcome aboard! Like many of us, the 2600 was my Atari "gateway drug" too - your experience mirrors mine. Got a 400 after that in 1982, then an 800 in '83, and a 1040ST in 1986. I don't have those originals anymore, but I've made up for it and then some in the last 15 years or so. :) 

#4 Skeeter OFFLINE  

Skeeter

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm trying to remember exactly when I got the 800 back in the day but I'm drawing a blank. I do know I got the 400 as soon as they went on sale and although I loved the machine I couldn't wait to get a 800 because it had a real keyboard. I do know it wasn't long after and I ended up keeping them and using them both all through the 80's.

That was a long time ago and like I said, I'm excited to be getting an 800 back. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once she arrives. ;-)

#5 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,570 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:28 PM

Welcome aboard and most important have fun..

#6 RodLightning OFFLINE  

RodLightning

Dragonstomper

• 632 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:41 PM

Welcome back to the world of Atari.  I agree that the 800 is probably the best example of Atari 8 bits, although I have a particular attraction to XL models as my first Atari computer at age 13 was a 600XL!  I doubt any other computer of the era has a level of user support and camaraderie found on AtariAge forums.  :thumbsup:

#7 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,675 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:42 PM

Yes. AtariAge support is so good it expands out to cover other 8-bit machines too!

#8 kiwilove OFFLINE  

kiwilove

Dragonstomper

• 720 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 PM

I'm of the same era - and I would like to get an Atari 800 again - but it's getting someone to ship one out to me - at an affordable cost that is the problem.  I don't want a one day (or one week)  delivery that will cost the same as the computer itself - but do it the old slow economical way.

It doesn't have to be in near new condition - just functional.  And I would only run it a few times each year - just to keep it working.

Harvey

#9 Skeeter OFFLINE  

Skeeter

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:56 PM

It arrived today. So it's not new but I think it looks pretty good. I've tested out a few things and I'm pretty darn happy with everything. It feels good to have an A8 back. :-D

P7VwSj0.jpg

#10 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,497 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

That's one fine looking 800.  Sure doesn't look like it was used much!

#11 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,844 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:09 PM

Definitely kept out of the sun, color looks new, unlike my 800 which practically looks like bromide brown :P :)

-Thom

#12 Skeeter OFFLINE  

Skeeter

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:07 PM

I took a few other pics and it doesn't quite look as good for some reason, looks more yellowish. Probably the lighting and and I don't have a very good camera. But really, the thing is a beauty and I'm quite happy with the purchase. I've been without since 1990 and kicking myself for selling, this one's not going anywhere. Heck, I can see getting another XL or XE now, heh.

#13 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Dragonstomper

• 787 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 PM

Like most of you, I had gotten a 2600 when I was young.  Still remember when my mother brought it home.  She won it in a contest at Godfather's Pizza.  It came with  Space Invaders, and we played the hell out of it.

In 1983/1984 we managed to get an 800XL and a 1050 drive.  I still have the 800XL, unfortunately the 1050 was sent off for repairs (after me as a  curious 9 year old took it apart, moved around the happy chip we had, then didn't put it back in with the pins in the right holes) and never got it back.  Company we sent it off to went out of business I think shortly after we sent it in for repairs.

But in the early 90s we went to the Deseret Industries (for those who don't know what that is, it's basically a place where people donate junk they no longer want, and it is owned by the LDS church and they will sell things back.)  There were TONS of Atari 8-bit stuff there.  I think I managed to get two 1050s, a Indus GT, 130XE, 800, 600XL, XEGS (with keyboard) and some power supplies.  8-bit gold mine.  I think I got all of them for  like 40 bucks.

I now have a second 130XE that I plan on stuffing with lotharek's goodness!

#14 Skeeter OFFLINE  

Skeeter

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 PM

Like most of you, I had gotten a 2600 when I was young.  Still remember when my mother brought it home.  She won it in a contest at Godfather's Pizza.  It came with  Space Invaders, and we played the hell out of it.

In 1983/1984 we managed to get an 800XL and a 1050 drive.  I still have the 800XL, unfortunately the 1050 was sent off for repairs (after me as a  curious 9 year old took it apart, moved around the happy chip we had, then didn't put it back in with the pins in the right holes) and never got it back.  Company we sent it off to went out of business I think shortly after we sent it in for repairs.

But in the early 90s we went to the Deseret Industries (for those who don't know what that is, it's basically a place where people donate junk they no longer want, and it is owned by the LDS church and they will sell things back.)  There were TONS of Atari 8-bit stuff there.  I think I managed to get two 1050s, a Indus GT, 130XE, 800, 600XL, XEGS (with keyboard) and some power supplies.  8-bit gold mine.  I think I got all of them for  like 40 bucks.

I now have a second 130XE that I plan on stuffing with lotharek's goodness!

Wow, you have a nice collection of goodies there. I'm seriously considering one of those lotharek sio2sd's. I got the ultimate sd cart and it's been great so far but I'd like to be able to run .atr as well.

I think I have the fever now, haha. Trying to decide whether I should try and get an XE now so I can run more programs/games or look for a decent ST.

#15 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,497 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 PM

Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have poked around the forums before but never registered until recently. I will admit that the news of the Ataribox piqued my interest and pushed me towards signing up.

That said, a little background. I am 62 years old. Was 24 back in 1979 when I got my first Atari computer, a 400. Before that I had an Atari 2600. When the 400 came out I was interested in the better games of course but also wanted to do a little more than game. Moved on from the 400 to a 800 and a 520ST. Sold them all when I got married in 1990. Now I’m about to become the proud owner of what I hope is a pristine condition 800. I can’t wait to get it and get going again.

It's coming with an AtariMax 8 mbit cart pre-loaded with some games and I'll probably be ordering the programmer's kit in the near future as well. I've been playing around with Altirra on the emulation side for a while now and it's been great. But I have always wanted to get the real hardware back and within the next week or so I should. Of all the Atari's I had back in the day the 800 is the one I miss the most. Excited to say she's coming home soon.

Looking forward to contributing when I can and learning and re-learning from the community here. Thanks for having me.

Never did say a proper hello!  Good to see another long time Atari user here.  My dad's 65, he got his 1st 2600 in 1977 (I was 2).  Bought me a 400 in 1982, and I've been collecting stuff for these machines ever since.  I asked him why he chose the Atari back when he did.  Told me it was basically a crap shoot random choice.  Sure glad it worked that way.  I've worked as a programmer professionally the past decade - wish I would have started way before but I wanted a trade like my dad so I tried welding, construction, factory work.

#16 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Dragonstomper

• 787 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 AM

Wow, you have a nice collection of goodies there. I'm seriously considering one of those lotharek sio2sd's. I got the ultimate sd cart and it's been great so far but I'd like to be able to run .atr as well.

I think I have the fever now, haha. Trying to decide whether I should try and get an XE now so I can run more programs/games or look for a decent ST.

I did the opposite, I ended up with a SIO2SD/PC thing at some point, then later on got the Ultimate Atari Cartridge that was recently done.  Great to have both!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users