Photo

Great Games? - Small Developers

11 replies to this topic

#1 ZillaRUSH OFFLINE  

ZillaRUSH

Chopper Commander

• 200 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:54 PM

Finally got a hold of a Harmony Cart and added an Edladdin Super 78 Controller...awesome!!   Was flipping thru some developers....played Home Vision - Base Attack.   Great game!!!  Any other unknown great games out there from small developers?  Thanks!

#2 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 2,968 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 PM

I enjoy Sorcerer, but that's just me.

#3 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 PM

So Far I've been having a lot of fun with almost all of the homebrew games I found on AtariAge. Follow this link 

http://atariage.com/...p?SystemID=2600

Once you are there, scroll down to the search area.

For "Rarity"- select Homebrew, then check the box for "Has ROM" and click search. This will give you a list of homebrew games that have downloadable roms. ;)

There are tons more out there, but it takes some searching. I have used Youtube and Google with great success. Also, you will run into a few really nice games that you can't get the roms for, but if you contact the developer and ask them about getting a copy of the rom, most will either give you a copy or sell you one for a reasonable price. I suggest you offer to pay them, even if they give you the rom for free. The developers put a ton of time and effort into making the games and it's only right that we offer them something in return. :thumbsup:

In your title, you mention "small developers" (Edit: I realized you may have meant games released back in the day by actual companies, if so, I'm sorry for rambling on about homebrews and homebrew developers.)  :dunce: . The thing to remember is that almost all of the people making games for the 2600 are just regular people. They aren't part of a company and they aren't getting paid for the time they spend working on games for us to enjoy. Most make the games on their own or with help from a few other people on the forums. Even those who end up putting their games on Cartridges aren't making anything. They might make a few dollars for each sale, but that's nothing when you think about how many hours they spend creating the game, some spend year perfecting a game before they officially call it "done".. I didn't come here to preach, but somehow it turned into that. :P

My point is, these guys work hard to make these games and they deserve something in return, be it money or just a sincere Thank you.. So, when you download a rom, that a developer was kind enough to provide for you, take the time to send him a message and tell him how much you appreciate him working on the game and offer him a few dollars, it's the least we can do considering we wouldn't have any new games if it weren't for the people who make them for us. :-D

Edited by RamrodHare, Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:20 PM.

#4 G-type OFFLINE  

G-type

Chopper Commander

• 184 posts

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22 AM

I think Base Attack is a PAL game

Missile Control is another cool PAL game... nice twist on Missile Command

I'm also fond of Room of Doom from CommaVid

for homebrew, check out Omicron

#5 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Up! Down! Up! Down!

• 8,540 posts
  • Chu! Chu! Chu!

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:45 AM

I feel like every classic developer was a small developer back in olden days!

#6 Lucky Man OFFLINE  

Lucky Man

Dragonstomper

• 781 posts
  • Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 AM

I also like Suntek - Motocross. You can get the NTSC conversion here: http: http://atariage.com/...ions/?p=1174822

And if you haven't already tried it, check out HES - My Golf. It's a surprisingly sophisticated golf game for the 2600. The conversion is here: http://atariage.com/...conversions.php

#7 Nathan Strum ONLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,176 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:44 AM

I enjoy Sorcerer, but that's just me.

Literally. It's just you. ;)

#8 ZillaRUSH OFFLINE  

ZillaRUSH

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 PM

Thanks...Sorcerer - ok, Missile Control - very cool!, Room of Doom - solid, Motocross - solid...would enjoy hearing more!

#9 ZillaRUSH OFFLINE  

ZillaRUSH

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:57 PM

Just played Guardian...decent...Astrosmash'ish. Megaforce...not bad.  Octopus...simple, but diff, Planet Patrol - decent

Edited by ZillaRUSH, Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:17 PM.

#10 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,365 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 AM

Missile Control - very cool!

If you like the original version, then maybe you like my Trak-Ball hack even more. :)

#11 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,124 posts

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 AM

Demolition Herby (better version of Amidar)

Eggomania (nice Kaboom clone)

Bumper Bash (pinball using the paddles)

#12 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,648 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:50 AM

There's a recent(ish) thread about underrated games that will effectively satisfy your purpose.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users