IGNORED

fixing Doom for the 32x

​what is a good development tool for the sega 32x/genesis? (preferably visual) the reason being, I want to fix the 32X version and release the updated version. my aim is 4 fold:

​1. include the BFG

2. include the spider-demon and cyberdemon

​3. take advantage of the 32X's improved sound and video capabilities to bring it up to play station or near play station standards,

removing pixilation and improving the video quality.

4. try (and I mean try) to include the nuts wad. it may be futile but damn it at least I tried.

any ideas? I also might start work on jagdoom and try to add sound, but that's for another time

Edited by 2600problems
  • Like 1

I highly doubt you could modify the game without the actual source code, or reverse engineering it. You would probably be better off just making a new port of the game off of the PC or Jag source. Regardless, Chilly Willy on sega-16 seems to be the dude for 32X stuff so try talking to him, he might be able to point you in the direction of some good tools or tips.

​what is a good development tool for the sega 32x/genesis? (preferably visual) the reason being, I want to fix the 32X version and release the updated version.

lol, what is visual? code is code

3. take advantage of the 32X's improved sound and video capabilities to bring it up to play station or near play station standards,

removing pixilation and improving the video quality.

hm the best I recall is about half a Saturn and most of the time the saturn was the lacking platform in 3d, so you want to take half of lacking and make it better than?

seriously, the pc version hardly runs at a decent rate on hardly anything less than a 486 and even the PS1 version is a pretty darn good effort

Pretty much all of those things can be attempted with Saxman's WAD Converter I believe. I think you can use also use DeHacked patches as well to extend some functionality.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/649/

There may be a few more editing utilities, but that was the big one I remember. Hacking the existing engine, presumably as far as it can go may be a good starting point before you commit to re-implementing everything. :)

There's been quite a number of impressive conversions to 32X DOOM this way.

http://www.romhacking.net/community/1065/<- Saxman's Romhacking.net page has a good number of resources. Including hacking notes.

Edited by Jinroh

You'll need a WAD editing program like WADManager.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Choosing_a_WAD_editor

My advice would be to run from the command line:
WAD32X.EXE doom32x.bin doom32X.wad

To generate a base WAD (make a backup) and then go to town with WADManager or whatever you choose.

Read up on the Editing Tutorials and goto town. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Editing_tutorials

Edited by Jinroh

What are you trying to do exactly?

Converting the DOOM32X binary to a .bat isn't the solution I would think. ^_^;

I'd think you'd wanna make a bat that references an external program that passes in the 32X ROM as a parameter.

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

I'm very confused by what your objective is here. You're trying to improve the 32X version of Doom by porting Brutal Doom to the Atari 800? :?

would it be possible for the 32X to run nuts? the wad

Possibly, if you reduce the monster count from around 10,500 to about, oh, 30.

C'mon, man.

currently attempting to port brutal doom. wish me luck

Walk before you run. Or do regular Doom first, which ain't gonna happen in any playable way, shape, or form on an Atari 800 anyway (except maybe in Roguelike form).