fixing Doom for the 32x

46 replies to this topic

#26 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:34 PM

stephen, what is your problem with me exactly? and no i'm not 8 years old. i'm a 23 year old writer with some programming experience, namely HTML. i can whoop

your ass in halo, outrun you in madden or school you in Tetris plus I at view the ZX Spectrum as an undervalued computer with a great user base.. I have been gaming since I was in the womb. so some damned respect. it seems to be lacking in the world. I know the ins and outs of the Atari 2600:

. 6502 processor

. 4 colors onscreen at one time, more if bank switched

. no RAM for colors.

I would explain more but I don't want to bore you.

Commodore 64: 64K RAM, written entirely in rom, damn near impossible to corrupt. SID chips is superior to POKEY on Atari 800. compared to the spectrum, it

has more colors available, great music, BAISC V2.00 which while barebones, can be manipulated. the C64 is also the best out of all the 8 bits, minus the Atari 800.

so yeah, I may be a troll to you, but at least this "troll" has a better brain, a better outlook on life and more experience gaming then you will ever have.

for years, i have been trying to identify with people that are at least on my educational level. if this is what passes for community ten i'm in the wrong place. i'm

simply asking for help. if that's a crime, ban me. but Stephen, know this: you and me, we have no more in common then an ant and a human. so take your words

and shove them where the sun don't shine, cause I won't me so merciful next time. consider this a warning

now, shall we continue this pointless argument?

Edited by 2600problems, Yesterday, 5:46 PM.

#27 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,659 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:49 PM

and there it is, the invocation of HTML as a programming language. Any credibility has subsequently been revoked.

You should start over, considerably more humble.

-Thom

#28 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 3,537 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:53 PM

I know the ins and outs of the Atari 2600:

. 6502 processor

um

its a 6507, and while its almost the same, its not

#29 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:55 PM

...I question my presence on these forums. I sincerely do. is it any good I wonder? maybe not. oh well

#30 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,659 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:56 PM

Dude, it's pretty simple:

You're trying to pretend that you're an accomplished diver, without having even set foot in the shallow end of the pool.

We noticed. We're calling you out.

Simple as that.

-Thom

#31 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:02 PM

got it. i guess i went too far. i just don't like people like stephen making judgement calls like that. pisses me off

#32 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:08 PM

and i understand the use of HTML as a language. its honestly the only language i've been able to grasp. c++ is a bit arcane for me and there are no interpreters for Java. tried Perl but it didn't work out for me so HTML seemed a good starting point.

#33 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 10,413 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Yesterday, 6:16 PM

If you want to learn this stuff then I applaud that, but you need to focus on the basics and stop fixating on pie-in-the-sky projects. You can't pick up a violin and book yourself into Carnegie Hall the following week.

#34 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Moonsweeper

• 493 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:32 PM

I was first to reply and was trying to be supportive. 

Then I seen the post you made about not finding the doom ROM in the batch files and you wanted to know how to convert the ROM into a batch file. 

Just remember though there are no stupid questions here.  Just funny ones, very funny.

#35 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Moonsweeper

• 493 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:35 PM

and i understand the use of HTML as a language. its honestly the only language i've been able to grasp. c++ is a bit arcane for me and there are no interpreters for Java. tried Perl but it didn't work out for me so HTML seemed a good starting point.

I think you need to graduate from HTML and play around with PHP some too, it will be helpful for you.  Find a free web host that has PHP and mysql database available. 

#36 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

River Patroller

• 4,927 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:17 PM

Wait what I thought this was the 5200 forum. :?

Edited by walter_J64bit, Yesterday, 7:30 PM.

#37 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,159 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Yesterday, 7:24 PM

My problem with you is you come across like a mentally challenged 7 year old.  Don't threaten me in any way little boy.  I support myself and 4 other members of my family with my programming skills.  Yet I don't come across as anything but humble.  You waltz in here, can't figure out how the hell to use a POKE or PEEK command of Commodore BASIC, but then act like you are going to recode Doom for the 32X in a way not seen before.

Piss off little boy.  I've had these computers you read about on the internet since they were new, and I have supported a family as a professional in the IT world for longer than you have been using your parent's internet connection.

#38 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,159 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Yesterday, 7:37 PM

BTW - you little turd fuck.  Show me some of your professional code.  My shit supports nearly 200 billion dollar contracts with NASA.  I dare you to challenge me.

#39 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:48 PM

stephen, i would caution you to back off. 1st warning

#40 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:52 PM

2 more chances to back off. i'm warning you Stephen, cross me and you will unleash hell

#41 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,659 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:48 PM

2600problems, I would suggest you leave.

cool off.

Now.

-Thom

#42 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 31,787 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Yesterday, 9:02 PM

Who wants to be banned from this topic?

8604-620.jpg

#43 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:25 PM

i will. see you guys later

#44 2600problems OFFLINE  

2600problems

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted Today, 12:01 AM

kay, now that i'm thoroughly cooled (my apologies, heat has been doing terrible things to my mood) can we get back to the post?

#45 TMR OFFLINE  

TMR

River Patroller

• 3,310 posts
  • Beeping the horn on the data bus

Posted Today, 4:34 AM

i can whoop your ass in halo, outrun you in madden or school you in Tetris plus I at view the ZX Spectrum as an undervalued computer with a great user base.. I have been gaming since I was in the womb. so some damned respect. it seems to be lacking in the world.

Respect is earnt and, when posting to a programming section that happens either by either demonstrating a knowledge of programming or being polite and showing a willingness to learn from others who can help. Being a writer or highly educated simply doesn't matter in this context, i've been a print-based games journo for nine years but that's one of the few times you'll see me even mention it in this part of the board because it wouldn't be relevant.

Not really, because learning HTML doesn't teach logic, program flow or much of anything else for that matter - it's a markup language. C++ is only arcane in the same sense that any programming language requires some research, time and practise to learn but there's nothing there to stop someone treating it like C and that can pretty much be handled as BASIC with an end-of-line punctuation fetish.

kay, now that i'm thoroughly cooled (my apologies, heat has been doing terrible things to my mood) can we get back to the post?

If you want people to help you then ask relevant questions; this entire thread is in the wrong part of the forum to begin with so nobody is obliged to give an answer, let alone a serious one. If we were to all discuss our favourite flavours of Monster Munch in your thread about 32X programming in the A8/5200 section of the forum there's precisely bugger all you can do about that since it's all off topic in some form... and for reference, mine is pickled onion, but i've developed a liking for the flamin' hot ones recently.

Look... if you want to learn programming that's great but your current approach simply won't work because jumping in at the deep end usually ends badly, especially if you haven't learnt how to swim beforehand. So pick just one platform rather than bunny hopping around half a dozen, choose just one language that's appropriate for what you wish to achieve, get a development environment running, begin with simple code based on examples or achievable goals and build up to larger, more complex projects over time. You will need to ask questions along the way, so pick the relevant part of the forum and always be polite because you're essentially relying on the kindness of strangers for answers.

i'll even give you a head start; you mentioned an interest in the demo scene over in the C64 section so, if you want to write demos for the Atari 8-bit (since that's where we are) or the C64 you'll need to learn 6502 assembly language to do it properly.

#46 Mclaneinc ONLINE  

Mclaneinc

River Patroller

• 4,775 posts

Posted Today, 6:29 AM

23 years old?

Really?

With a stinking attitude like that he's not going to get far in life..

"unleash hell".......Seriously, geezer.......Sure its not 12yrs old?

I'm all for any one trying anything but as Dirty Harry says "A mans gots-ta know his limitations"..........................

#47 sack-c0s OFFLINE  

sack-c0s

Stargunner

• 1,163 posts

Posted Today, 6:39 AM

I'm a 36 year old game programmer, who is paid day in, day out to port large, commercial games between platforms, and I'm going to spell it out to you in the clearest terms:

it. is. really. HARD.

Do I mean that you should give up and not do it? Hell no - anything worth doing is bloody difficult, because everyone does easy stuff all the time. You just need to adjust your expectations and acknowledge that jumping into the code of a full commercial game that you don't even have the source code (and the associated comments) for is just asking for a rough ride. I get the c/c++ code from the original developers and even then it's a hard-fought battle to get it to fully work as expected.

So how the hell can I even do it? Well the short, frank answer is 'I wrote a lot of crap games and code'. the long answer is 'I wrote a lot of crap code, followed by successively less crap code over a long period of time until I got to the point where I could do this'. For me 'A long period of time' means from my first barely-working light cycles clone in BASIC aged 6, through my teenage years, until today, so we're talking the best part of three decades where barely a day passed without me writing some kind of code or another.

Admittedly I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, so I wouldn't rule out that someone could get from a standing start to doing what I do* considerably* quicker, but I think it's going to take more than a week and a few forum posts.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users