IGNORED

Are there Any Old Fashion Dial Up BBS's Left?

DavidMil

I'm not talking about connecting over the internet (as I found after looking through about 10 pages of search results here) . I'm talking about picking

up the phone and dialing a 10 digit number, hearing the modem respond, and putting the hand set into the coupler type BBS. If there are any, can

someone post a couple of the phone numbers? I'm trying to show my great granddaughter what it was like in the 'dark ages'. When I tried to explain

it to her she asked me why didn't I just use my smart phone...

Thanks,

DavidMil

• Like 1

Mine is still up since 83.. The web site is www.thekeep.net and the modem no is 503 646 2407

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

So if I dialed 1-503-646-2407 through a land line with a dial up modem, what would happen? Would I need a web browser? I didn't get my first PC until 1997 btw.

Your questions make me wonder if you understand what a modem terminal connection is.

You use a terminal program on your end and communicate using a modem to establish a serial connection to the BBS. The BBS will answer the call, negotiate the modem connection speed and then send text to your terminal sw that you interact with.

Firefox is a web browser that needs a tcp/ip connection to operate. Modems can be used for a tcp/ip connection also but it is an either/or situation.

My BBS does not provide a modem tcp/ip connection it is a text based terminal connection as they were before the internet became available. It is also accessible via the internet with your browser.

Greg

• Like 4

Mine is still up since 83.. The web site is www.thekeep.net and the modem no is 503 646 2407

Since long distance charges are basically I thing of the past, I was tempted to call it...

until I realized RS-232 ports are also a thing of the past on todays's PCs and I can't hook up my modem :/

The keep was one of the bbs's I tried when I got my sx212 modem last month but I had problems with random characters being generated. Probably due to my majicjack connection.

Did you ever take a look at SimNet? Basically you dial in, and it acts as a gateway to certain telnet BBS's. You'll never know the difference.

http://www.uuhec.net/simnet/

I haven't seen their BBS list, but Dark Force is on there. I haven't signed up my BBS since I was planning to set up a landline here (I can still get one) and was going to set up kind of a "private" version of this for just some of the BBS's I can regularly (and figured it would be a jerk move to be on SimNet and using their resources while at the same time not sharing mine).

But that's at least one Atari board you can call for now.

The keep was one of the bbs's I tried when I got my sx212 modem last month but I had problems with random characters being generated. Probably due to my majicjack connection.

Magic jack is only good for voice. Modem the best I could get was 300 baud with many errors. That's the random characters you see.

I have no personal experience with it but my brother uses Ooma VOIP service with a FAX machine. His internet service is 15mbps cable broadband.

The following link indicates Ooma can also be used for outbound modem connections if the correct prefix is entered, I don't know what would be required for inbound connections.

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12555

• Like 1