IGNORED

Atari 8-bit ports to 5200 in the works

peteym5

I think there is a 5200 Basic, but not sure how to obtain it. But I have been recently exploring other options of making games other than using all machine/assembly language. One is Mad Pascal which compiles down to assembly, then you need to use an assembler to make the final binary. The other recent option is to use this "Fast Basic" that gives you the option to use integers as variables along with floating point, and strings. It may be possible to assemble a Pascal program with 5200 equates, but not sure if anyone has made one yet.

"Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" is a freeware/demoware game I made for the 8-bit a few years ago so people get a taste of what I am developing.

"Secretum Labyrinth The Legend" is a 64K ROM cartridge that uses the 64K of RAM on the 8-bit, that is has a much larger dungeon to explore, and many more things to do.

When it came time to port some games to the 5200, I decided, why not also attempt to port the Secretum Labyrinth engine over also. I started with porting using the database from "Kings Gold" so I have some test data to compare it to. But later in the process I decided to come up make something new I can add to this series of games. I had all this stuff I was experimenting with for optimization, improving the graphics, game play, and fitting more into a smaller space. So I applied that to this 5200 cartridge.

I have been looking to add other RPG (Role Playing Game) and Adventure like elements into this. So this will have some things we had not yet seen in the prior Secretum Labyrinth games.

• Like 4

"Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" is a freeware/demoware game I made for the 8-bit a few years ago so people get a taste of what I am developing.

"Secretum Labyrinth The Legend" is a 64K ROM cartridge that uses the 64K of RAM on the 8-bit, that is has a much larger dungeon to explore, and many more things to do.

When it came time to port some games to the 5200, I decided, why not also attempt to port the Secretum Labyrinth engine over also. I started with porting using the database from "Kings Gold" so I have some test data to compare it to. But later in the process I decided to come up make something new I can add to this series of games. I had all this stuff I was experimenting with for optimization, improving the graphics, game play, and fitting more into a smaller space. So I applied that to this 5200 cartridge.

I have been looking to add other RPG (Role Playing Game) and Adventure like elements into this. So this will have some things we had not yet seen in the prior Secretum Labyrinth games.

Hi I mentioned you and your games in our latest episode. I will try to add this new info :)

Here are some previews of some games we got working so far. They may not be release for a for more months because we need to make sure the game is running properly before going into any mass production. It will be cartridge only available from AtariSales.COM

Delta Space Arena

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/3442-video-61s-5200-delta-space-arena-game-play/

Putt 18 Miniature Golf

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/3440-video-61s-putt-18-gameplay-and-protype-board-for-atari-5200/

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about "Great American Cross-Country Race" being ported to the 5200, but KJMANN12 pitched Enduro at me as part of a multi-cart on the 8-bit a few years back. I immediately replied, wasn't there something similar on the 8-bit done already. He wanted me to do Venture, Chopper Command, Laser Blast, and Enduro. Video 61 jumped in and suggested we do them as individual game cartridges for starters and consider the multi-cartridge later.

I really want to do something special with the Secretum Labyrinth series on the 5200 with this Xenogenesis game. I know Adventure II has been done, but no one else has stepped up and offered anything within that category. I am adding a few more similar RPG elements like Stamina where your character starts getting fatigue and slows down when swinging the sword too long. Something the improves with advancement of skill level and adds some challenge to the games. Thinking about trading item for item to get past a certain point in the game. But some feed back on what people like to see inside a game would help.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some updates were needed for my games to work better on the 5200. Some did not have the interrupt disabled for the top fire button and its vector address pointed to an address that would cause the 5200 to crash. I had to disable them or point the vector to an RTI instruction. Delta Space Arena and Megaoids I added the ability to use the top firebutton for thrust instead of pushing up on the 5200 joystick, not easy to use on the 5200 joysticks that have self-centering issues. Artisan21, Kamakazi20012, and Video61 are all doing a great job at beta testing these games before we release them on cartridge for real 5200 hardware.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hey how about an update on when these bad boys will be available as my PayPal account awaits their eventual release date on the 5200.

We are waiting for some boards for us to be make with some components soldered onto them, and ship them to Video61. I currently cannot state a time frame.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Video 61 has the cartridge boards in, but they were sent without any schematics. They are populated minus the EPROM and no bank switching logic chip. There are pin holes for both 28 pin and 32 pin EPROMs. We are going to use them for games that are 32K and under with no bank switching. These are made by Bryan. We did not receive any schematics. If anybody has any information on these boards, please post something or send me a PM.

Edited by peteym5

Hello Video 61 has the cartridge boards in, but they were sent without any schematics. They are populated minus the EPROM and no bank switching logic chip. There are pin holes for both 28 pin and 32 pin EPROMs. We are going to use them for games that are 32K and under with no bank switching. These are made by Bryan. We did not receive any schematics. If anybody has any information on these boards, please post something or send me a PM.

Your best bet is to PM Bryan directly if you need help with his boards. I still have my PM to him from when I built Pac-man Arcade using his boards. He was very helpful.

For a 32k cart you need a 74HCT00 in the 14 pin location labeled "No", Normal. You can use a 64k or 32k EPROM in the 28pin Lg/No position. Put 0.1uf caps in C2 and C3.