Blog Post about TAZ, 16-color @ Med Res ANSI terminal emulator

BBS terminal modem ANSI 520ST dialup

7 replies to this topic

#1 blakespot OFFLINE  

blakespot

Chopper Commander

• 126 posts

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:16 PM

I have gotten heavy into telnet BBSs and became rather impressed by the ST terminal program, TAZ, that allows 16 color ANSI emulation at medium res (2-bit color, of course) by way of color interlacing. Kind of like Megaroids and Quantum Paint, in approach. Anyway, I wrote about it a little and have a video showing the effect.

For those interested.

http://www.bytecella...n-the-atari-st/

bp

#2 Tillek OFFLINE  

Tillek

Dragonstomper

• 609 posts

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:15 PM

AnsiTerm works fairly well too.  That's what I used back in the day (still use it to call my BBS).  The flickers sometimes give me headaches.

#3 Tillek OFFLINE  

Tillek

Dragonstomper

• 609 posts

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 PM

Great blog post... Though I have to say I'm a little disappointed that a blog post about calling BBS's in ANSI on the ST didn't feature a screenshot of at least one of the ST BBS's (both have some decent ANSI going on).

But still, enjoyable reading.

#4 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,206 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:26 AM

Just got a chance to read this. Interesting STuff.   :)

#5 Tillek OFFLINE  

Tillek

Dragonstomper

• 609 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 AM

Ah! I see what you did there!

#6 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,206 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:32 PM

:)

BTW, I agree, would liked to have seen some screenshots when the OP was logged in to a BBS.

I can't remember, what did you tell me you used to make your ANSI screens? I use an ST program

called Fansi that works pretty good.

Thanks.

#7 Tillek OFFLINE  

Tillek

Dragonstomper

• 609 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 PM

I used Fansi too. In fact Im almost positive I registered it but I cant seem to find it :( Might have been on the drive that crashed 20 some years ago.

More recently I've been using Pablodraw since I dont want to take the BBS down for screen work and it doesn't seem to want to run on the TT. Hopefully I can get the furniture rearranged and then I can get another st set up.... but thats a big undertaking.

#8 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 523 posts
  • Still Atarian

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 PM

I have gotten heavy into telnet BBSs and became rather impressed by the ST terminal program, TAZ, that allows 16 color ANSI emulation at medium res (2-bit color, of course) by way of color interlacing. Kind of like Megaroids and Quantum Paint, in approach. Anyway, I wrote about it a little and have a video showing the effect.

Why did I not heard about this program years ago in my BBS'ing days??  I tried ANSITerm but felt it was too slow (graphically) compared to using ANSI/VT-100 emulation.  So stuck with STalker and put up with just 4 colors, but at least I changed them to have a neon look.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BBS, terminal, modem, ANSI, 520ST, dialup

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users