IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

I don't believe the Look Inside is activated until closer to the release date. I'm probably not allowed to share anything, but here's the Asteroids entry (four pages) from an early version of the book anyway:

38254649881_16181512fe_b.jpg24383595378_e88aee5c6a_b.jpg

Sweet! You just happened to pick my favorite game (arcade/home console).:)

I don't believe the Look Inside is activated until closer to the release date. I'm probably not allowed to share anything, but here's the Asteroids entry (four pages) from an early version of the book anyway:

That look pretty awesome. Hopefully it will attract enough interest for more editions with more games. My favorite up to this point has been the Classic Home Video Games series by Weiss. Although, it is more enclyclopedia-like with less pictures and details.

Thanks for the peek inside. This has got to be the first Atari-focused "strategy guide" from a big publisher in this millennium.

Thanks, but I do want to stress this is more manual than anything else. Strategy and the other stuff is just a small part of the book.

• Like 1

The SD has a deluxe version, but the regular FB8 apparently has one too. I could have sworn that Sam's has this version, but I am not sure. If this is real, it would be pretty cool to have.

$_58.JPG

I believe you can get a one day pass, here is a link to the PDF. You pay 10% extra.

https://help.samsclub.com/ci/fattach/get/211498/0/filename/Guest_Membership_Pass_2017.pdf

Just ordered one. Down to $13.74 at the moment.

The book? Cool -- looks like us "early adopters" will get that price, too.

• Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how(restrictions apply)

The book? Cool -- looks like us "early adopters" will get that price, too.

As an author, I'm really pleased at the price being so low right out of the gate. I've never had a book come out at less than $20, and maybe not even less than $25 or $30, that I can recall, let alone sub-$15. It must relate to the production volume of this book versus my past books (probably hundreds of thousands versus thousands), even though all of the past books have been with similarly large publishers. Too bad I get no royalties on this sucker and my name is not listed prominently (all credits are in the back of the book!). :-D

• Like 1

I saw the standard definition Atari Flashback 7 and 8 at Target yesterday, plus both portables and some random Atari-branded crap including a stand-alone joystick with 10 games. There was a price card for the Atari 8 Gold (for $20 more than the standard, as expected) but no unit.

It's fun to see this stuff out on display for the holidays.

• Like 1

As an author, I'm really pleased at the price being so low right out of the gate. I've never had a book come out at less than $20, and maybe not even less than $25 or $30, that I can recall, let alone sub-$15. It must relate to the production volume of this book versus my past books (probably hundreds of thousands versus thousands), even though all of the past books have been with similarly large publishers. Too bad I get no royalties on this sucker and my name is not listed prominently (all credits are in the back of the book!). :-D

I had to get a copy at the $13.74 price. Also noticed another book and picked Bill's Vintage Games as well 51egK0Prx1L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by TF14
  • Like 1

Interesting that it includes an HD cable. I wonder if any of the other HD Flashbacks include one? Also the box looks like the regular Gold version, but I'm glad to see a version with paddles!

• Like 1

Huh - that's interesting, the vintage games book has a Kindle version (for $31) and the option to rent it for two weeks for $13. Odd

Believe me, I've come to expect "odd" from every publisher. They all work differently and serve different markets, so there's very little consistency. One day I'll likely explore self publishing something and I'm sure that will have its own set of "odd."

• Like 1

Interesting that it includes an HD cable. I wonder if any of the other HD Flashbacks include one? Also the box looks like the regular Gold version, but I'm glad to see a version with paddles!

They all come with HDMI cables. That was one thing that I definitely fought for early on (more of a one-time exchange than a fight, but you get the point).

• Like 3

They all come with HDMI cables. That was one thing that I definitely fought for early on (more of a one-time exchange than a fight, but you get the point).

That was a fight worth fighting. These are going to be holiday gifts, and there's nothing worse than not having a $5 part you need when you want to play but all the stores are closed.

I noticed a bunch of reviews of the Sega Genesis Flashback bitching about the presence of a screw keeping the battery door closed. Have they never bought a toy before? This has been a fact of life for a very long time.

• Like 1

I noticed a bunch of reviews of the Sega Genesis Flashback bitching about the presence of a screw keeping the battery door closed. Have they never bought a toy before? This has been a fact of life for a very long time.

Yes, this is an understandable beef since it's not a commonly known regulation. That's why AtGames wants to move to rechargeable controllers, so they can do away with the screw issue. Personally, I prefer sticking batteries in my controllers (a la the Xbox One), but I know I'm in the minority there. I just really hate having to manage charging on so many things.

• Like 4

Toys R Us has the newest ( I believe) FB Portable for $37.49.

https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=126158146&_br_psugg_q=atari%20flashback

I bought mine a few days ago in store, didn't realize it was on sale, was charged $49.99, went back & got my $13 refund after showing them their own website. :)

I like it, it's a neat device. But yes indeed, the 2.8" screen is small for 47 year old eyes. :P

• Like 2