IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

I always wished the CX40 would have evolved a bit to include paddle functionality. Think of it... base of the stick wired to a pot and with the flip of a switch, now you're playing paddle games. Seems a bit trivial, but unhooking your joystick to play a paddle game, let alone storing the paddles and dealing with the cables, always turned me off. If the two were sensibly combined, I bet more people would be playing paddle games. Course for two to four player compatibility, then you break out (pun intended) the original dual paddles. :)

• Like 1

I always wished the CX40 would have evolved a bit to include paddle functionality. Think of it... base of the stick wired to a pot and with the flip of a switch, now you're playing paddle games. Seems a bit trivial, but unhooking your joystick to play a paddle game, let alone storing the paddles and dealing with the cables, always turned me off. If the two were sensibly combined, I bet more people would be playing paddle games.

Like the Gemini's?

coleco_gemini.jpg

• Like 1

I always wished the CX40 would have evolved a bit to include paddle functionality. Think of it... base of the stick wired to a pot and with the flip of a switch, now you're playing paddle games. Seems a bit trivial, but unhooking your joystick to play a paddle game, let alone storing the paddles and dealing with the cables, always turned me off. If the two were sensibly combined, I bet more people would be playing paddle games. Course for two to four player compatibility, then you break out (pun intended) the original dual paddles. :)

The issue is more one of nostalgia than it being practical:

videoarcadeii01.jpg

That original Atari 2600 joysticks are iconic. That's what these products represent, nostalgia.

• Like 3

I always wished the CX40 would have evolved a bit to include paddle functionality. Think of it... base of the stick wired to a pot and with the flip of a switch, now you're playing paddle games. Seems a bit trivial, but unhooking your joystick to play a paddle game, let alone storing the paddles and dealing with the cables, always turned me off. If the two were sensiblly combined, I bet more people would be playing paddle games. Course for two to four player compatibility, then you break out (pun intended) the original dual paddles. :)

Here is a side view of a Sears Video Arcade II controller. They seemed to combine joystick and paddle into one seamlessly. I am not sure how well they worked, but the concept is there.

Sears_video_arcade_2_controller.jpg

Edited by Hwlngmad
  • Like 1

Because nobody* likes paddle games?

*I know, I know, YOU like paddle games, I think SOME paddle games are okay (yay Kaboom!) but they're so limited and weird and there aren't that many of them

That doesn't explain the joysticks. Although I suppose if people are buying the new one every year, the wireless joysticks won't have time to croak.

I've never liked side fire buttons. Intellivision, Colecovision, 7800, etc. The way someone, at least me, has to hold the controller to use side buttons is literally a pain.

I generally agree, but I actually think the ergonomics of the ColecoVision controller are quite good once a good ball top is added to the joystick nub. Its base design is definitely cramp-inducing.

I suppose we do need to cut some slack to the early controllers. The science of ergonomics was in its infancy at best and there really were no "rules" to follow in creating a good controller. Even what we think of as arcade joysticks weren't terribly common in the arcade until the 80s.

Even the original Atari 2600 controller had its issues, although that was certainly among the best of the early designs. I'd say we really didn't have truly great controllers until the Sega Genesis and Super NES, and even then not every system thereafter necessarily nailed the controller design. Although I think the current big three have it down to a science now, we still see stumbles with first party controllers from "secondary" sources, like the one for the Nvidia Shield TV, or - and I'm sure some will debate me on this - the Steam Controller. Without the massive R&D and investment from someone like a Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, it just goes to show how incredibly difficult it can be to make a decent controller, even today.

• Like 2

I really liked my Epyx joystick for the NES except the start and select buttons. http://www.atariage.com/temp/images/al/forsale/hardware/epyx_500xj_2.jpg

The 500xj is my favorite all-time vintage handheld joystick. I actually use the SMS model on my Atari-style systems because my original ones are more worn out.

• Like 2

The 500xj is my favorite all-time vintage handheld joystick. I actually use the SMS model on my Atari-style systems because my original ones are more worn out.

This is my favorite joystick for use when playing 2600 H.E.R.O. / Jawbreaker. :thumbsup:

post-21941-0-49190500-1510780188.jpg

• Like 1

I will have to dig mine out of storage. I already have an NES to USB adapter, so I could use it with Stella. I was looking into making an adapter for it to have it work on the Atari 2600, but it is not just a simple matter of matching up the wires. I probably have enough EE knowledge to get it to work with a simple circuit, but I would probably just buy one on Ebay if I really wanted one for the 2600. I would probably get the SMS version. I suppose another option would be to just run two cords from the joystick I have and then I could wire it up directly to the switches inside the joystick.

• Like 1

After finding out QVC got the Gold Deluxe back in stock I decided to pull the trigger on that one. If you want the HD version with paddles, it looks like the Gold is the only one that will have them. At $80 it's a good deal compared to $100 that At Games is selling them for. Plus I don't see anyone else stocking the Gold Deluxe (not even Sam's Club)!

http://www.qvc.com/Atari-Flashback-8-Gold-Deluxe-HD-Console-with-120-Games-and-Accessories.product.E231059.html

• Like 2

After finding out QVC got the Gold Deluxe back in stock I decided to pull the trigger on that one. If you want the HD version with paddles, it looks like the Gold is the only one that will have them. At $80 it's a good deal compared to $100 that At Games is selling them for. Plus I don't see anyone else stocking the Gold Deluxe (not even Sam's Club)!

http://www.qvc.com/Atari-Flashback-8-Gold-Deluxe-HD-Console-with-120-Games-and-Accessories.product.E231059.html

The Deluxe version of the regular FB8 or FB8 Gold is the way to go if possible (apart from the Activision edition). Honestly, it is the way it really should be packaged, especially if many "paddle" type games are included. Just my opinion, though.

• Like 3

The Deluxe version of the regular FB8 or FB8 Gold is the way to go if possible (apart from the Activision edition). Honestly, it is the way it really should be packaged, especially if many "paddle" type games are included. Just my opinion, though.

I'll give AT Games credit - even though they have so many variations of the FB8, they seem to be selling out each model (SD/HD/Activision/paddles). I think the only HD variation left is Activision version with paddles :)

Edited by TF14
  • Like 1

I will have to dig mine out of storage. I already have an NES to USB adapter, so I could use it with Stella. I was looking into making an adapter for it to have it work on the Atari 2600, but it is not just a simple matter of matching up the wires. I probably have enough EE knowledge to get it to work with a simple circuit, but I would probably just buy one on Ebay if I really wanted one for the 2600. I would probably get the SMS version. I suppose another option would be to just run two cords from the joystick I have and then I could wire it up directly to the switches inside the joystick.

Many options for USB adapters - One from the forums is http://2600-daptor.com

• Like 1

I'll give AT Games credit - even though they have so many variations of the FB8, they seem to be selling out each model (SD/HD/Activision/paddles). I think the only HD variation left is Activision version with paddles :)

If you look on At Games' site, an Activision Edition with paddles is the only version not listed. I'm thinking that's where they are drawing the line on variations. Hopefully next year is the year they include an SD card slot!

• Like 3

If you look on At Games' site, an Activision Edition with paddles is the only version not listed. I'm thinking that's where they are drawing the line on variations. Hopefully next year is the year they include an SD card slot!

I think the portable has an SD slot because they don't plan on reselling it year after year like the regular flashbacks, so maybe the final flashback will have it.

Just opened and hooked up the FB8AE. Hmmmm...instructions say flashback wireless controllers from previous flashbacks do not work on 8. Do not expect to use them as backups.

This was a concern because my main wireless out of the box had the blue light staying on 24/7. Not sure what that meant. Tried three sets of batteries, tried to open the cover of the joystick. Can not get the cover off even after unscrewing the three screws. After wrestling with it a while and shutting everything off (i.e, three surge protectors) I noticed the light went off. Turned everything on and it works just fine. Weird. Ending interference from the Xbox One or wrestling with it for 20 min trying to open it fixed it, at least for now.

I should add that while the blue light stays on, the controller does not work, so navigation was dead.

Yeah, the old wireless controllers were completely different, using line of sight infrared instead of radio freqs like the new ones. A broken controller would render the whole system unusable. :-(

The wired-only standard definition version with paddles included is just over fifty bucks at jet.com, and a bit less if you buy a bunch of them.

https://jet.com/product/Atari-Flashback-8-Deluxe-with-105-games-2-Wired-controllers-and-2-Wired-Paddles/32e7834a0f6245329b244d19a6a742c4

Yeah, the old wireless controllers were completely different, using line of sight infrared instead of radio freqs like the new ones. A broken controller would render the whole system unusable. :-(

Unless you use a new or old wired joystick. I would think those would let you navigate the main menu. Plus there are reset buttons on the flashback console itself. You just won't have access to the rewind feature.