IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

I don't want to post this in multiple places on AtariAge out of shear exhaustion and too many topics, but here's the deal on both units. A bad production run of the Sega HD got out to reviewers (including me). I'm trying to work with AtGames to get ahead of this, but I think the damage is already going to be done. AtGames is already working on the production fix, which may delay the target September release date.

The Atari HD review units are fine. It's not perfect, but performs the way you would expect.

As for my reviews, obviously I'm not going to bother reviewing the Sega HD unit until the actual fixed units are out there. There's no point. The review units are garbage and only hint at what it's supposed to be. It's an unfortunate mistake, but one that AtGames is working on fixing rather than putting that version out to the public.

I can't go into detail at this time, but I'm also working with Prima on a new Atari book (and possibly future books, like a Sega one) related to the Atari Flashback series and Atari in general. It has a super short production schedule (it's me as the lead author and four others to get it done in time), so it's really putting a crimp on my time. As such, my own review of the Atari HD unit may be delayed just a bit. More details to follow when Prima makes them public.

Well, I would say that's good news that the Sega units will be fixed. I was hoping that AtGames would have made more of an effort and it sounds like that still is a possibility. With the performance of the NES Classic, I don't think there was a whole lot of room to screw up. Hopefully, they can get the word out to the reviewers because the headlines have not exactly been good on the Sega unit.

Does anyone have a pre-order link for the Activision Atari unit?

Here's a million dollar question I want answered: why doesn't the Atari Flashback Gold edition have all the games built into it like the portable does (i.e. Pac Man 4k, Dig Dug, etc)? If At Games has paid for the rights to use them, why didn't they put them all on the HD consoles?!

Here's a million dollar question I want answered: why doesn't the Atari Flashback Gold edition have all the games built into it like the portable does (i.e. Pac Man 4k, Dig Dug, etc)? If At Games has paid for the rights to use them, why didn't they put them all on the HD consoles?!

Both the Sega and Atari portables have games the consoles do not and vice-versa. I don't personally like it either, but usage costs certainly have to be managed across all the SKUs and some SKUs need different games to make them better values than others, so the extra costs are justified, etc.

• Like 3

Both the Sega and Atari portables have games the consoles do not and vice-versa. I don't personally like it either, but usage costs certainly have to be managed across all the SKUs and some SKUs need different games to make them better values than others, so the extra costs are justified, etc.

Thanks Bill, the checks in the mail! ;)

What I'm really after is being able to have as many arcade classics on the HD system as possible! There are some really good homebrews out there that pick up the slack Atari left behind (ie Pac Man 4k, Scramble, Etc). This is why an SD cad slot is so desirable on the console. It's about getting those last few games on there AT Games couldn't afford to get. Almost forgot to mention Moon Patrol as well!

Thanks Bill, the checks in the mail! ;)

What I'm really after is being able to have as many arcade classics on the HD system as possible! There are some really good homebrews out there that pick up the slack Atari left behind (ie Pac Man 4k, Scramble, Etc). This is why an SD cad slot is so desirable on the console. It's about getting those last few games on there AT Games couldn't afford to get. Almost forgot to mention Moon Patrol as well!

Understood. Don't be surprised to see something like that for next year.

• Like 4

Thanks for the review. You mention several times that the controllers feel good and you didn't mention anything about lag, so I assume that lag is not an issue. :)

Lag with the Atari ones not an issue. A little more noticable with the Sega one, not bad. Also, I did not have a major issue with the Sega one and will be posting a review soon(10:00 PDT)

• Like 2

I suppose I'll order the Atari Activision 8 Gold from the first place to say they are including vintage-style wired paddle controllers.

I'm looking for the same...if you find a vendor that includes the paddles, please post.

• Like 1

Since I've been asked about the Activision HD pre-orders, I thought I would provide an update (or at least what I'm allowed to). Feel free to put this info in other threads if needed.

Official press releases and what-not regarding it should hit in late August. Pre-orders maybe a month later. I'm confirming if the wired paddles will be in all boxes or just at select retailers.

So, there you have it. You'll have to wait a bit longer for the Activision HD unit than you will the Atari HD unit. For most people here though, you probably do want to wait.

• Like 4

The SOUND is good on these new machines, but the controllers aren't. I'm glad they're trying to work it out.

The new controllers look to be from the same shells as their old IR Sega Genesis controllers. Not authentic, but not terrible either --- especially since you won't have to worry about keeping them pointed.

• Like 1

So I just watched John's video (nice job!) and it seems Pitfall is glitched. I see 2 Harrys overlayed on each other. Is this youtube or in fact a glitch? Attached 2 screen captures.

https://youtu.be/ZgY0WtTg4jw?t=10m40s

In addition to Harry putting on extra weight half the time, the pitch of every sound effect is too low. The QA department at atgames must be on strike again, as they seem to be for every console release.

You can paint a turd gold, but it is still a turd, not gold.

Edited by Great Hierophant

I don't care how many tries it takes to get it right, I'll buy one once I know the sound is good, but not before.

How many tries does AtGames get? You ask them to make a Sega Genesis, they give you a filled diaper. It's time to give the license to a more capable manufacturer, not some fly-by-night makers of schlock.