IGNORED

New turbografx 16 problem

Well unfortunately this is my first time writing about this unit. I just recently acquired one untested and realize there was a problem with the AV out port. It's very disappointing because it looks like it is an otherwise well preserved machine. I spent a pretty penny on this does anyone know how to fix it?

post-44799-0-87898100-1498184871_thumb.jpg

post-44799-0-87776900-1498184892_thumb.jpg

You have a few options though they all involved spending more money. The original TG-16 in the US only offered RF output which is what appears to have broken off in your pic. The options you have would then be:

Find a cheap parts only unit (Not easy as even parts only units are about $50 + Shipping)

Get the optional Turbo Booster (This provides you with dedicated RCA outs for audio and composite video) - But these too aren't cheap

Look up on how to create your own connections from off the expansion port to allow you to connect via composite video and audio (Same as the turbo booster without the cost and might not look as pretty...)

Do some searching online, but there are several individuals that make their own Turbo Booster like attachments for the expansion in the back. Most of these are for pure RGB video output, but I believe a few are made that contain s-video and composite as well.

It is also possible to internally modify the turbo grafx so that you can add s-video, RGB, composite...to the console. However, if you aren't handy with a soldering iron, then it would be best to find someone to do this for you.

You have several solutions here :

- Replacing the RF port. It's normally a standard RCA socket, so finding a replacement shouldn't be too hard. Especially since this problem seems common on the TG16.

- AV-modding it. This remove the issue of dealing with RF.

- Wiring AV cables on the rear port. The rear port of the TG-16 output stereo audio, composite viddeo and RGB. No modding of your system, and it's quite just wiring cables to the right pins.

There are several solution, from just fitting cables o the pins to printing an "AV Booster" that will plug on the back.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:420327

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-Turbobooster-PC-Engine-AV-booster-replacement-CompStereoGOLD-RCACable-/171710278123

• Like 1

Here is a link to some PCB mount jack but you would need to desolder the one on the board and make sure the pin alignment is the same as these I am including the link for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Pcs-PCB-Panel-Mount-AV-Female-Jack-RCA-Socket-Connector-Black-/272671310703?epid=1638405346&hash=item3f7c7a036f:g:7E8AAOSwsXFZGI2J

http://www.cgquarterly.com/2010/04/26/building-a-turbografx-16-pc-engine-composite-av-cable/

I did this since the RF on mine isn't working. I have a printer, I went with the connector CatPix linked. I've also been thinking of drilling the rear cover and putting composite jacks on that then wiring it up.

post-47137-0-53983400-1498214689_thumb.jpg

post-47137-0-63485200-1498214703_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

And darker A/V? It's not anormal. Those signals are meant to be amplified. I mean, the "AV-Booster" name is not just a commercial gimmick, sound and video are amplified, or boosted, if you will. ;)

That is also very true. I also found this as an alternative.

20170209_162342_g9v3-dw.jpg?t=1486683363

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html

• Like 1

And darker A/V? It's not anormal. Those signals are meant to be amplified. I mean, the "AV-Booster" name is not just a commercial gimmick, sound and video are amplified, or boosted, if you will. ;)

I didn't realize it at the time as the sound was far more noticeable of a difference, but yup, also dimmer picture.

That booster Gull linked to looks cool but 90 bucks is 1/3 of your way to a region modded, recapped, S-vid Pc Engine duo. I get that lots of people did what I did...assumed they'd not want to play PC engine or the CD library, so just got a TG, and maybe just want to make that work...but IMO Turbografx is a case where going all out the first time is by far the best option.

• Like 2

You can make a simple A/V booster yourself if you have the basics for soldering. Either with transistors or with a complete amplifier chip.

And frankly, passing on the CD option is a mistake for the PC-Engine/Turbografx library.

Of course, if you really are interested in it, the best option is to go for a PC-engine+Briefcase+Cd-ROM² (about 200$ if you get those from the same seller in Japan) and get he PC-engine region modded for US Hu-card if you want them.

You can make a simple A/V booster yourself if you have the basics for soldering. Either with transistors or with a complete amplifier chip.

And frankly, passing on the CD option is a mistake for the PC-Engine/Turbografx library.

Of course, if you really are interested in it, the best option is to go for a PC-engine+Briefcase+Cd-ROM² (about 200$ if you get those from the same seller in Japan) and get he PC-engine region modded for US Hu-card if you want them.

Passing on either CD or PC-E compatibility is a mistake, and I'd say they're almost equal in egregiousness! PC-E library is awesome IMO, and cheaper than the US counterparts.

I did it all the wrong way when I got into it (bought a TG16, tried several aftermarket cords) and should have just bought my modded PCE Duo from the start. I love that freakin thing, it's easily my most played system nowadays. Very reliable guy Keith Courage on the Pcenginefx forums apparently does much better work than doujindance and some other sellers so far as mods. (I do like the briefcase setup Pix but I think the Duo is sexier).

If you'd have told me I'd be spending hours playing an F1 racing game, a couple years ago I'd have called you crazy. But F-1 Circus rules. ;-)

(I do like the briefcase setup Pix but I think the Duo is sexier).

If you'd have told me I'd be spending hours playing an F1 racing game, a couple years ago I'd have called you crazy. But F-1 Circus rules. ;-)

Taste and colors :D

The advantage is that the briefcase setup is the cheapest. 200$ at best, shipped from Japan, getting a gear replacement. Well for region mod, I haven't looked into the prices.

A Turbo from Japan is in the 300$ range (shipped) but you'll certainly need to recap it AND to replace the CD gear. The Duo RX is even more expensive, easily hitting the 400$ range without modification.

One other advantage with the briefcase is that you can start to acquire a PC-Engine and briefcase for about 60/70 $ (15$ for the white PC engine, between 20 and 30$ for a briefcase, and 30/35$ for shipping) this provide a cheap setup with A/V out, and an option to get a CD-ROM² for about 50/60$ + shipping.

Also, on the Briefcase, only the CD-ROM might suffer from bad caps, not the system or briefcase. So that's a costly operation out of the way, too. And even if the CD-ROM² need recapping, from what I recall, it's less caps, and even when your CD-ROM² is gettind fixed you cna still play card games.

But heh, again, it's a matter of choice. It's the path I followed and I was never dissapointed. I guess one "advantage" I have is that here the most massively imported system was PC-Engine consoles and games, not Turbografx-16, so I have no local supply of TG16 games to care about.

I can understand that someone wishing to have access to US TurboChips would want a region mod on the other hand ;)

Edited by CatPix

So, just cuz we're talking about it- who would you recommend getting a region-modded, recapped PC Engine from? I see a guy from Hong Kong on Ebay, but I don't know if that's the best route.

It kind of a pain to get on pcenginefx.com (you have to be approved, it can take a while) but in the marketplace forum there a guy Keith Courage sells modded systems. As I recall my recapped, laser-adjusted, region modded, S-video modded system cost exactly $330.

But heh, again, it's a matter of choice. It's the path I followed and I was never dissapointed. I guess one "advantage" I have is that here the most massively imported system was PC-Engine consoles and games, not Turbografx-16, so I have no local supply of TG16 games to care about.

I can understand that someone wishing to have access to US TurboChips would want a region mod on the other hand ;)

I needed both but I spend way more time playing my PCE library than my turbo library at this point. ;-)

I needed both but I spend way more time playing my PCE library than my turbo library at this point. ;-)

I am debating on the Everdrive card myself for my Turbo so I can experience the PC engine stuff without needing the mod from my understanding. I have fond memories of a friend having a PC Engine back in the day and it was awesome.

• Like 1

I ended up going with a JPN TurboDUO. I spent about $200 for it at the time. I then recapped it, fixed the volume pot on the side, and added S-video and separate RCAs out the back of it. I was going to go the region mod route since I have a few Turbo chips, but decided in the end for what the games cost...that I just went with a turbo everdrive and haven't really looked back. I do still pick up games both JPN and US turbo chips when I find them, but with the Turbo ED I feel I have a pretty decent setup. I would say with the trubo ED and other stuff I have about $300 invested into my TurboDuo at this point.

• Like 1

The Turbo Everdrive v2 is especially nice in that it can act as a Super System Card on a Briefcase or a TG-16CD console.

It also means that you don't need to remove it when you want to run CD games on a DUO or SuperCDROM console.

Just download and run the modified System Card image to let it do that without causing problems.

There's a patch for that on KRIKzz's forum ...

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.msg34306#msg34306

The Briefcase is the most iconic of the PC Engine systems ... but, as a 1st-generation CD-ROM drive, it is far less forgiving of CD-R discs than the later DUO/SuperCDROM/DUO-R/DUO-RX consoles.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't recommend running CD-Rs on any of the CD versions of the Turbo or PCE. It's been pretty well proven that the lasers go out far quicker when using CD-Rs on this system than retail discs.

I recommend getting the handful of Hucard games you really love, get an Everdrive for everything else, and use your money on CD based titles.