Photo

Refurbishing steering wheel controller with new electronics?

62 replies to this topic

#51 phattyboombatty OFFLINE  

phattyboombatty

Stargunner

• 1,104 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 9:29 PM

Nice! This is a major breakthrough for the ColecoVision, as there are quite a few steering and paddle-type games out there!

Thanks for using your creative energy to support the ColecoVision!

I would love to see a PCB produced.

#52 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 859 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:20 PM

Nice! This is a major breakthrough for the ColecoVision, as there are quite a few steering and paddle-type games out there!

I would like to try sticking one in a full sized racing wheel. I've decided that's probably a more practical approach than seriously modding out an EM2, hopefully. Not really sure what the inside of a Logitech racing wheel looks like.

#53 chart45 ONLINE  

chart45

Dragonstomper

• 748 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 6:51 AM

i made one with eagle i'm waiting for it... i dont put to much hope on the first rev since i'm not to good with this kind of stuff.. if it work i will share like i did with the parker brother pcb

#54 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 10:10 AM

Would a multiturn encoder, like those used in modern AV equipment coupled with an arduino to feed the CV with the correct translated signal be a solution?

#55 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,435 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:47 PM

I just want to say that we're working on a controller that would replace the Steering Wheel 
We do have a working prototype and we'll soon show it here on AA

#56 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 859 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:02 PM

I just want to say that we're working on a controller that would replace the Steering Wheel 
We do have a working prototype and we'll soon show it here on AA

Very interesting. Thanks for the announcement. Can you tell us the wheel diameter?

#57 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,435 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:32 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the announcement. Can you tell us the wheel diameter?

It's just a prototype right now

We're working on this with Chart45 

#58 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 859 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 6:28 PM

It's just a prototype right now
We're working on this with Chart45 

I kind of have a prototype as well, LOL. I just added a longer column and a 12 inch toy steering wheel and tilted it forward a bit. It looks quite hideous though and has the original electronics and the larger wheel and column make it a little unstable due to the lightweight base. I took it apart because the added weight on the original screw hole for the wheel would probably hew out the threads. Certainly wouldnt post any pictures of my Frankensteins monster. But the larger steering wheel is nice to use for more realistic interaction since the size of the original makes only single-hand, two-finger operation reasonable.

#59 SiLic0ne t0aD OFFLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,161 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 9:45 PM

That's great news, looking forward to seeing the new steering wheel. :)

#60 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 859 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:17 PM

So I decided to put a little more work in dressing up my modified expansion module 2, so I could show what ive been doing. So, here are a couple pictures. It is really just what you would call a proof of concept. Its functional but im still concerned about the weight on the screw holding the wheel column up. I do find it more fun with the bigger wheel, though. This was made in my apartment with about $50 worth of stuff ordered and stuff around the house. Id probably want to be able to have the ability to make threaded plastic pipe, plastic washers and fitted shims and tools to epoxy plastic pieces together to make it more structurally sound, but dont have a shop to do it in. Unfortunately, could not find a lightweight plastic wheel this size in black, although I could paint it...

Ultimately, it looks like the base screw is in there pretty solid. However, a couple small, well placed screws on the sides of the rotating base would remove the stress concern. I also plan to make the back support smaller and add a heavy duty suction cup, so the end result would be the same tilt, smaller profile and less slidey.

Attached Thumbnails

• wheel1.png
  • wheel 2.png

#61 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,701 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:25 PM

Are you sure those pictures weren't taken in Australia? :P

#62 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 859 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:56 PM

Are you sure those pictures weren't taken in Australia? :P

You caught me too quick. My phone always does that and then I have to fix them.

#63 nolram OFFLINE  

nolram

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 AM

Will you guys be making the schematics public?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users