IGNORED

Sega to release every single game for free on iOS and Android

http://www.inquisitr.com/4311949/sega-forever-coming-to-ios-android-for-free/source/su/?utm_source=su&utm_campaign=KTK&utm_medium=gbp

Good news to all SEGA fans and retro gamers. Every SEGA game ever made is coming to iOS and Android, and it’s free-to-play. SEGA has just announced SEGA Forever, which will offer games released for every console era—Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Dreamcast and more—via smartphone or tablet.

SEGA Forever will launch this week on iOS and Android for free. Some of the titles that are expected to be released are Mega Drive games Altered Beast, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, Phantasy Star II, and Sonic The Hedgehog. According to Metro UK, these games will be playable offline and has modern features such as cloud saves, online leaderboards, and Bluetooth controller support.

SEGA plans to release a new game every two weeks, until eventually incorporating titles from every SEGA console from the SG-1000 through to the Dreamcast. Behind the SEGA Forever concept is Chief Marketing Officer Mike Evans who shares that he also has plans of including previous unreleased games in the West such as Dreamcast game Segagaga, and Girl’s Garden, the first game from Yuji Naka.

More at the link

Hello Phantasy Star O(ff)nline! Liked to play it on my DC. Some of the game may prove a bit challenging to play without a decent controller though. Also I wonder how would Sega implement SMS 3D games on a non 3D smartphones? Most of the 3D games didn't have 2D mode. And the light gun? Probably touch screen but that'd be like shooting at point blank range.

Despite this ad being the other way round, generally Sega were too aggressive in their Saturn advertising vs the genuinely quite well made Sony adverts like the iconic Formula 1 game advert, which ultimately hampered their market penetration. Not having the 3D Sonic and Ecco games finished didn't help either. Either aggressive or leave you with a sense of puzzlement 'and your point is?' kind of situation. I owned both at the time well before PS2/Dreamcast wars came along so I noticed it without bias as I liked both consoles I had bought equally and purchased games for both at the same time.

This aggression was fine against the SNES vs Megadrive but Sony was already a cool brand (as an older teen you would know this from electronic goods purchased/experienced from this high quality brand) and the Playstation had no technical hurdles compared to Saturn in the 3D department.

Dreamcast was fine if a little early to the internet gaming world due to most of it using 56k modems at best for internet access, but crucially did not have DVD playback built in. SEGA could never have known that the world was desperate to buy into DVD movie playback devices due to how horrible commercially sold VHS copies of movies were on even £1000+ VCRs. Sony got REALLY lucky with the PS2 as many just ended up being the only commercially viable choice in the early years as consumers who wanted second generation 3D consoles ALSO wanted a new DVD player as well to watch movies on.

However before you scream that's unfair, and it is, it is no different in life for animals all over the world. Your health declines and then bad luck finishes you off (leg injury that summer, tiger by the water hole is closest to you).

Edited by oky2000

Well this would be interesting but for any solid moving game quality release (RPGs shouldn't matter) the emulator is a broken mess. The FPS is all over the board more than a paint shaker. It'll be 60, then 30, then 45, or whatever it wants and all over the place so the games just shake and roll jacking up any shot of playing things well let alone just smoothly.

They're free entirely, if you consider ads in your face free -- or you pay $2 and they go away, at least that's how I had it explained to me.

If they can make the stuff not suck and run smooth I'd be game for a couple titles probably, ad free no less, if it was something I'd come back to with some regularity like Columns among others.

Touch Arcade's RPG writer has thoughts, calls it a "disaster."

This from the comments is particularly harsh

If GoGame (SEGA mobile division in charge of this mess) can't get even put together a decent Genesis emulator, I have no confidence in their ability to get SuperScaler emulation or anything more powerful than a Genesis working properly.

Yeah you had your head in your anus if you wanted a Saturn. :) No offense to the Sega fans, but considering how much of a disaster that system was in the US market outside of mostly their own offerings due to ported games commonly being both late and inferior, you just were better off with a PS One and the N64 which is a shame.

Yeah you had your head in your anus if you wanted a Saturn. :) No offense to the Sega fans, but considering how much of a disaster that system was in the US market outside of mostly their own offerings due to ported games commonly being both late and inferior, you just were better off with a PS One and the N64 which is a shame.

No, smart folks had a Saturn and action reply cart.

• Like 2

lol.. I had a Saturn, a Playstation, and an N64 (purchased in that order, upon launch) all living in harmony in front of the same TV and I friggin loved the Saturn all the way. And it's true.. if you had a Saturn you figured out a way to play imports on it.

• Like 1

Speaking as a huge SEGA mark, I don't really see this as good news. It's not like the games are being ported by anyone like our friends at M2 or anything. I guess the Sonic port is good, as it's the Christian Whitehead build, but nothing else sounds good. I'd also remind you that they claim they'll port Saturn games, but they have lost source code for some of the more coveted ones.

And Tanooki, I guess 16 year old me probably did have his head firmly up his own ass, but I still love my Saturn to this day, twenty two years later. :)

I should make it clear since I have the Nintendo avatar, I'm a former (used) Saturn owner too. Back when I was at Midway for a full two years in 01-02, shortly after starting there a former Sega employee joined up, and on our current team. He pissed at them for their lame layoff policies of the time wanted to dump all his junk so I scooped his Saturn along with a few games too for chickenfeed basically. Didn't want another Genesis, Nomad, or the 32X and SCD so those went elsewhere in house. ;) I did like the Saturn, but for all the games i had a good 1/3 to about 1/2 were JP imports and I ran that 32M+ Pro Action Replay so I could safely keep game saves happy but also with that 4M had some wicked times with my favorite VS game of the era SF vs XMEN which I got addicted to a year earlier in college in the rec room. :D

I still believe Nocturne in the Moonlight spanks SotN, don't care if it didn't do transparencies. Was better to start with character select, and mainly due to the larger castle with a full area added plus add-on zones to existing spaces.

lol.. I had a Saturn, a Playstation, and an N64 (purchased in that order, upon launch) all living in harmony in front of the same TV and I friggin loved the Saturn all the way. And it's true.. if you had a Saturn you figured out a way to play imports on it.

Same here! That was a great system in its day.