IGNORED

Atari Joystick Alternative

Skeeter

Wasn't sure where to put this but since it's for an A8 here goes. I'd like to get a new joystick for my 800. I'm old school and love those one button Atari joysticks that have been around forever, well since the 2600 anyway. Can anyone recommend one of the alternatives like say this one?

Or would I be better off trying to refurbish an old one? Thanks.

Since you've linked to a CX-40 type joystick, I really like the Best Electronics CX-40 upgraded joystick. It's $28.95 or $32.95 depending on whether you want the redesigned boot as well. I know there are two different camps where Brad from Best is concerned. However, I've had no problems with him and he delivers what he says he will. He's not the cheapest price. He wasn't the cheapest back in the day when Atari was popular either.

His website does look like it's stuck in a time warp from 1994. You also have a 1994-type of mail order experience. Don't expect to receive immediate tracking information so you can track your package to your door. With that said, I've had good experiences with him and if I ever need more Atari hardware, he'll be the person I call.

His homepage is messed up (I think he's linking to a page counter that's down or something similar) so here's a link directly to the joystick page:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

I've found the best method is simply to call him ((408) 278-1070). His telephone hours are 1:30 - 5:00 PST. It's weird, but he's a one-man show now.

Bob C

• Like 1

Well, I am fond of the CX-40 design as well, but since I was recently (about a year ago) introduced to the vintage Suncom TAC-2, well that's all she wrote. Previously my favorite had been a similarly-vintage WICO Command Control leaf-switch stick, but after playing with the microswitch-based TAC-2, I prefer it greatly. Wish I'd had one as a kid. It does have two buttons, but they're wired identically - it's to allow people to play left-handed or right-handed as they choose. They're getting pricey unfortunately, at least on eBay, but bargains can be had in second-hand stores and thrift shops if you're persistent.

• Like 1

Brad does have the BEST joysticks. I recommend him. Call him up and order. You will not be disappointed with his upgraded, gold contact CX-40s. They have great tactile feel and responsiveness is the best. I have all the JSs ever made for the Atari. His is, by far, the best. Love Best Electronics for all things Atari. And he guarantees ALL his parts. I have used him for almost 30 years.

• Like 2

Thanks all.

Being I'm back with an A8 since a long time ago I was unaware of BEST. Heck, I wasn't aware there were any places left that carried Atari goodies. But I've been hearing good things about BEST and that CX-40 sounds right up my alley. I'll definitely give him a call soon.

I can remember a friend who had a Wico back in the day and it was a nice stick. But I have a weird way of holding the stick with my right thumb on the top of the stick and left thumb on the button. The Wico was too big for that. Sounds crazy I know but it's what I was used to and how I remember playing these games. And that CX-40 from BEST sounds perfect!

Edited by Skeeter

I have one just like the Retro-Bit CX40 you linked except it's by "Retro-Link". I'm not sure if it's the same company or not but even the packing is very similar. Aside from the logo it looks exactly the same. I found the metal membrane type of switches inside way too noisy for my taste. At least that's what I think they are called. A metal plate that pops loudly when you press buttons. I used it for about 5 minutes before it got annoying. Maybe it gets less noisy after some use I don't know.

Edited by whisperer_in_darkness

TAC-2s are great for all games that need very quick repetitive joystick movements or changes in direction (like my favorite Shamus) because the throw of the stick is very short. I am pretty sure, however, that they don't use microswitches but that the stick itself is one pole and contacts different contacts depending where you push it, so there the stick itself is the switch.

The TAC-2 buttons IMHO are not really good for shooting spree games, so whenever you need to fire in rapid succession, you probably want to use a different stick or get yourself an auto fire gadget.

I find the short throw and "hard stop" of the TAC-2 less comfortable when playing games where you have to run around a lot and keep the joystick pushed one side all the time, as there is no "give" at the end. I find leaf or even microswitch joysticks whose microswitches seem to have a little "springiness" like Competition Pros easier for such games.

I can't comment on the Best joysticks and the only reason I bought a TAC-2, Wico and Competition Pro in the 80s was that I didn't like the Atari CX-40s sponginess (and plastic parts inside breaking).

If you want to got the TAC-2 route, there are also smaller versions called Zip Stik and Starfighter.

Thanks for the input all. Well since I'm partial to those original Atari joysticks I called and ordered one of those upgraded gold plated CX-40's from Best. I also tossed in one of the enhanced CV cables for good measure.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Yep. Brad sells the BEST CX-40s around. Glad you like yours. You made a wise choice. With all the Brad bashing out there, thankfully there are those of us that appreciate his unending dedication to our passion. That, my friends, is a rare attribute in today's world. Rock on Brad!