IGNORED

Value of incomplete / untested systems

I have been keeping an eye open for 2nd generation consoles and I keep coming across adverts for machines that are either untested, 'just needs such and such fixing', or parts missing, such as power pack (and hence probably untested). Other than their possible value for spare components, or sometimes the carts that come with them, are they really worth gambling more than say $20 on? Some people are asking $100+, plus shipping. I'm new to this and until recently didn't realise there was so much interest in old games, so any comments on the state of the market would be appreciated.

As with a lot of other things, the answer is "it depends". It's impossible to give a general answer; it depends on the specific product and the actual amount being asked. Obviously, some sellers are delusional with the amount of money they think they can get for some common thing that's outright broken. But a rare item, even if "untested" or missing parts, can still be worth some money.

If you post some examples, we can probably tell you if they seem reasonable or not.

• Like 1

depends on the system, 20 ish dollars for a dirty untested 2600 4 or 6 switcher is a not safe but more likely to be an ok bet, most of the ones I get have just dirty switches, but I have had some with dead cpu's or something

something like a colecovision may be a more dangerous bet since they tend to have ram problems, but its pretty rare you find even a beat to hell one for 20$

• Like 1

also depends on the seller, untested and they have 8 other similar consoles tested it is a bit or a red flag, someone has lots of consoles or such but an odd bird isn't tested, well not such a big deal

also I don't have the av cable with someone that rarely deals in games, probably fine, I don't have the av cable form someone selling lots of games, red flag

• Like 1

The Real danger with any of these is how the seller ships it.

Sometimes you buy "for parts", "broken", or "untested" and Then they just dump everything in a box.

Here a GAME TECH video (the one of the guys that sells the NES HDMI kit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VONqIW3wJ84

This happens ALL the time

So when its gets to you, you have box of smashed plastic.

I've had to tell sellers to bubble wrap.

They don't understand that just because I bought something that's broken, that I DO care if it gets more broken during shipping.

I've just had it happen (again) six 2600 jrs - NO wrap or even newspaper - from India. Guess what happened.icon_tears.gif

Otherwise, if your willing to repair something, buying a "lot" of broken whatever is a great to get something for cheap.

2600 are pretty easy repair, so they are a good place to start too.

Here are my rules for "broken"

Atari 2600: Less than $20 with shipping (prefer 10 or 15)

Coleco: $20-30 no PSU seems average (broken/untested)

NES: crap chute - I don't' think a working front loader is is worth more $20, but you can't find garbage ones for that low.

Genesis: any mode 2 is not worth more $20(maybe a V4)

In general I think this, If its broken, as-is, for parts etc. I want to pay 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a tested working unit WITH psu.

Anyone have thoughts on Broken/ repairable pricing?

I'm new to this and until recently didn't realize there was so much interest in old games, so any comments on the state of the market would be appreciated.

A lot of the "interest" is people trying to make quick buck - Some jerks think every old video game is a piece of shiny gold - sometimes it is just iron pyrite.icon_woozy.gif

• Like 1

I took a chance on an untested, as-is lot recently. Atari 2600 systems, as we all know, are tanks and rarely fail. Came with 30-ish games. Listing claimed it was missing wires that's why it was untested. Turns out all it needed was a switch box or coax adapter.

Only problem I had was what H454 was saying. Guy sent the lot to me dumped into a box... Literally dumped. No organization. No wrap. No tissue. Not even a piece of paper. Everything was floating around. Thankfully the only damage I found was a snapped controller mast.

All told if I worked it out to be $1/game then it was $10 for the Atari system and controllers. Everything worked though the 2600 needed some tear down and cleanup on the switches to get them functioning correctly again.

• Like 1

If you post some examples, we can probably tell you if they seem reasonable or not.

OK, here is one. I offered $60CDN and never got a response. Not sure if that means it was already sold or the seller expected more:

"Atari 2600 in box with several controllers/game pads, trak-ball attachment and roughly 60 games. System isnt getting power I believe the power jack solder broke off inside. Just needs to be taken apart and resoldered. Open to offers"

OK, here is one. I offered $60CDN and never got a response. Not sure if that means it was already sold or the seller expected more:

"Atari 2600 in box with several controllers/game pads, trak-ball attachment and roughly 60 games. System isnt getting power I believe the power jack solder broke off inside. Just needs to be taken apart and resoldered. Open to offers"

I don't think that was an unreasonable opening offer but I can also understand the seller not wanting to take it. Depending on the games, figure about $1 (USD) each if they're loose. The system being boxed adds a bit of value, although it also being broken definitely subtracts. If it's really as simple as he thinks to fix it, then I think the auction would be a good deal at $60 US. But it's a crapshoot.

If he took $60CDN, which is about $37 US, I'd consider yourself very lucky. Worst case you could probably resell the games alone in one lot for more than that.

Was this eBay?

For some reason "or best offer" makes some sellers all high and mighty. I've had to message sellers on why no response / counter offer.

"I don't deal with low ballers". At least twice I've had to explain that its NOT highest offer and if then just responded with almost ANY kind

of a discount, most people would accept the counter offer. Sometimes a guy just wants to feel like they got a deal.icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't be afraid to message these people, just be cool even if they are a dick and you still sometimes get ahead.icon_winking.gif