IGNORED

Atari 2600 light sixer powers on intermittently

Moose1900

Stumped on this one. Powers on fine sometimes, next time I turn it on it getso full static as if it has no power, still have a clean 5 volts out of regulator. Seems to be really random. Cleaned power switch replaced regulator and chiclet capacitor. Getting a clean 5 volts out. Cleaned channel switch. Checked voltage to main processor, getting a good slope when power on. All three chips have been replaced. When it does power on it stays on and works fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Look for cracked solder joints too. Also when it comes on with static, and you have full clean power from regulator like you say also check the power at the chips themselves, TIA and CPU, you can find the schematic on this site to see which pin it is supposed to be for the chips. Could be bad solder joint somewhere that needs reflowing.

Getting 5v to all the chips when i flip the switch and have nothing but static on the screen, i am even gettinng a wave sign coming off the tia.

Retouched all of the solder joints on both boards, not sure where to go from here. Do you think it could be a bad rf modulator?

You connected to a modern flat panel TV with a digital tuner by chance? I have three small 19" TVs I use for tournaments and such, and to get classic systems working on them through RF, I have to connect the Atari...turn it on, and then do a channel search on the Analog Antenna option on the TVs. Doing this, they are able to "see" the atari signal and tune into it to display it. If I don't do this, then it is very hit and miss on if I get a picture or not.

Do you at least see the screen change when you turn on the power? You know a flicker or something to indicate that the signal is changing in some way and the system is powering on?