IGNORED

SNES Mini Confirmed

TPA5

I'm all for someone getting the final version out. I have one of the versions on a cart with I do believe a GSU2 proc. I can't wait to see any differences between the two.

I think the major difference between using the original GSU-1 (Super FX) and the GSU-2 (Super FX 2) is just a bump in the framerate and a more stable framerate overall. The game still runs just fine using either (at least the latest known prototype currently available to us), but if I play the cart in, say, my Retron 5, because the Retron 5 is actually emulating a Super FX 2 (as it really should be using), you can tell a very marked difference in the framerate, and the game performs much better.

When it really starts to bite you is when there's a fairly large number of objects on the screen. Drawing all those polygons (most especially if they're textured ones) absolutely bogs the thing down to a crawl at times using the GSU-1. The Retron 5, and I presume a cart with the GSU-2 as well, seems to not have those issues.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Only 21 games? And no Pilotwings, Super R-Type or Super Tennis. Maybe this unit can be hacked to add more games like the NES Mini. But yeah, not going out of my way to track one of these down. Fool me once... screw you Nintendo, no second chance this time. ;)

• Like 1

Only 21 games? And no Pilotwings, Super R-Type or Super Tennis. Maybe this unit can be hacked to add more games like the NES Mini. But yeah, not going out of my way to track one of these down. Fool me once... screw you Nintendo, no second chance this time. icon_wink.gif

On one hand, I'd be very surprised if Nintendo hadn't closed that loophole.

On the other hand, hardware/software hackers are an unflappable bunch so I imagine it won't be long before this thing is hacked.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so certain they'd close it. It would cost them a good bit more money to re-tool that existing system setup so that the port in the back can't be accessed as it was. This is built on the absolute cheap and the money this time would be going into the controller/body molding as the board/chipset was capable of N64 level stuff. Would they really want to redesign the board and input/outputs on it as well to stop a few people who hack? It's Nintendo though so maybe but it's also Nintendo and they're king at playing it cheap.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

We don't know what guts power this yet, so it remains to be seen if the interior is a match for the NES Classic Edition.

And all they have to do to close the loop-hole is to not have a few traces connected, right? Unless a fully connected USB connection is needed for the manufacturing process or for their service centers during the repair process, all it has to do at the consumer end is to be able to feed power to the device.

And while this sure could've benefited from 30 games, anyone that knows Nintendo and is familiar with the Virtual Console and their digital prices could've guessed that a Super Nintendo themed sequel would have fewer games after last year's model. Nintendo is real cautious with protecting the perception of value for their back catalog.

At least there's no filler here this year. The NES Classic Edition had no duds, but frankly several of the inclusions are merely solid games and that don't rank among the top of the system's library. You'd have to do quite a search to find someone that would name a few of those among their favorite NES games, but I think every SNES game included here has its proponents that will name it among the best games of all-time.

Edited by Atariboy

It's also on the Wii VC, was published by Nintendo, and would follow the NES Classic theme of including a few classic arcade games. So I was hoping to see it appear if this came to fruition.

I only count three games here that I'd personally count as a good match for an arcade stick. I wonder if any 3rd parties will try to market such a controller this year, especially after being somewhat burned by the NES Classic Edition (Both by the limited numbers and the device's picky compatibility with 3rd party controllers, including officially licensed products like Hori controllers).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I think they'll do it again, but in smaller numbers as they'll be more cautious not to over do it and then end up with dollar clearance inventory. Certain things though wouldn't matter, and then can cross over too due to the standardized Wii jack. If they made them right they should pop into any Wii, WiiU, NES CE and SNES CE along with any other third party after market junk including USB converters to the PC. There's ways, and money to make there, just have to be a bit more smart with the packaging and advertising so it doesn't look like an ALL IN type thing.

I'm almost shocked they didn't include some big-name arcade games like Space Invaders, which was pretty nice on the SNES.

They probably took note of the bitching that happened about Galaga being on the NES Mini. :P

As good as Space Invaders is, I'd hardly call it a definitive SNES title. Certainly not worth including at the expense of any of other the games on the list. (Although they can definitely do more than 21 games, here. C'mon, Nintendo.) Space Invaders just wasn't what that generation was about.

The same issue as existed before will still be there, which is the lack of desire to invest in emulating this chip. There were no other roadblocks ever holding it up.

Hopefully their work here will form the basis of their SNES emulator on the Switch, which will erase that hurdle. But don't look for them to appear on other Virtual Console platforms at such a late date.

Hopefully Stunt Race FX escapes the vaults when/if it happens.

Edited by Atariboy

Only 21 games? And no Pilotwings, Super R-Type or Super Tennis. Maybe this unit can be hacked to add more games like the NES Mini. But yeah, not going out of my way to track one of these down. Fool me once... screw you Nintendo, no second chance this time. ;)

Pilotwings, F-Zero...I thought those woulda been no-brainers. Too bad, but not a bad smattering of games. I would have totally preferred Final Fantasy 2 over 3...it's been ages, but remember us really enjoying the story line and characters from pt 2.

The whole 'screw you Nintendo' thing....the shitty thing about all of it is there's literally NO way to send a negative message to Nintendo over this. They're selling out whether we complain or not, and scalpers are going to win out...again. That sucks. There's all kinds of ways they could combat this, but maybe that's why Nintendo wasn't saying it was a limited edition (not publicly, anyway)...because then that would have guaranteed the scalpers ramp up their price from the get go.

The only thing Nintendo could to do make things right is to produce these in amounts that would discourage scalpers...but we know Nintendo won't do that. Who knows, though, maybe they would? Who would have honestly thought after the NES fiasco that they'd try again so soon with an SNES? Either more product, or price it so high that scalpers will have a harder time flipping them. Like a $220 Metallica concert ticket...tough as hell to scalp that at $400, for the same profit margin of a $70 dollar ticket that they'd easily get $200 for before.

So there's really no way outta this that makes people happy. As for me, I'll camp out like last time :D and hopefully snag one.

My only happiness is that these two systems will be IT for me...I couldn't care less about a mini 64, or GC. A mini Wii though, lol...that might be fun someday.

Well, it's mostly for casual folks who just want to hook up a thing to their modern TV and go. I get that, but why it causes so much frenzy amongst our kind is baffling. I mean, I own nearly all of those games, so this doesn't really hold much allure for me and I'd assume anyone who has a semi serious SNES collection is the same. It's collectible, I guess.

• Like 2

I was about to say... is the casual user going to sit and play Earthbound, Secret of Mana, etc? But looking at that selection, I guess they put something for everyone there. If you don't own those games or haven't bought them for the VC, I can see some value. Not everyone wants to mess around with original hardware, multi carts, and framemeisters either (well, I do much to my wife's chagrin....)

Pilotwings, F-Zero...I thought those woulda been no-brainers. Too bad, but not a bad smattering of games. I would have totally preferred Final Fantasy 2 over 3...it's been ages, but remember us really enjoying the story line and characters from pt 2.

*snip*

So there's really no way outta this that makes people happy. As for me, I'll camp out like last time :D and hopefully snag one.

My only happiness is that these two systems will be IT for me...I couldn't care less about a mini 64, or GC. A mini Wii though, lol...that might be fun someday.

I agree that Pilotwings is an odd one to leave out, but also that FF2 was the far better, even if shorter game but FF3 is no slouch and it'lll get attention. I bet my wife would camp out if I couldn't do it, but I'm not a camper for systems and games if I can get a preorder, otherwise I ride it out but damn you can't this time.

I don't think they'd do a GC and N64 is a stretch, but you already have a mini wii don't you?

• Like 2

What's the big deal about this, you can't play snes carts on it and it will cost almost as much (probably a lot more for most who really want this) as a Super Everdrive that will play most of the SNES library?

the super everdrive WILL NOT play over a 1/4 of the games on that list. those 1/4+ games totals to about $150 for loose carts only (and that's not including the unreleased Star Fox 2)

So you're getting your moneys worth well before you reach the 21 titles.