IGNORED

Early TI 99 4 Games/Controller

swlovinist

Recently I scored a lot of TI 99 4 stuff(no computer though) with original controller, early release games and RF modulator. I just wanted to share a pic with you all. I did not know that the early release games had a gatefold box when they came out. The Gamevision game Hangman has its instructions as well.

post-7241-0-08388300-1498609731_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ah yes, the original pain sticks. Play TI Invaders with those for 20 minutes or so and you'll be wincing every time you need to move your gun--I really think those sticks were designed to force a time limit on gameplay. . .by incapacitating the player.

Good score on the two Gamevision games as well--the boxes are even harder to find than the games are, and if you look carefully at the silver insert, it is stamped with Gamevision as well.

What about the other games? I noticed that they are in gatefold boxes with pictures of the TI 99 4 inside. Are these difficult to find? How many games were released like this? Just curious about these and am happy to add them to the collection.

I did a list of the TI-99/4 manuals that are from that old style of cartridge manufactoring here, the latest additions are not yet photographed:

http://www.ti99.eu/?page_id=3611&lang=en

Such manuals only refer to the TI-99/4 keyboard shortcuts inside. They are missing the Solid State Command Module text in the black bar. PHm3041 Adventure arrived that late that it actually refers to the 99/4A keyboard shortcuts as well.

• Like 1

What about the other games? I noticed that they are in gatefold boxes with pictures of the TI 99 4 inside. Are these difficult to find? How many games were released like this? Just curious about these and am happy to add them to the collection.

I've acquired about 150 TI cartridge boxes over the past 2 years (including the giant Scholastic Spelling boxes - which included 22cm x 28cm workbooks). Now, about 30 of them are the later plastic colour-coded boxes, and a few are the Scott Foresman black boxes.

Of the remaining cardstock boxes only 2 are the gatefold style. I believe they were discontinued with the /4, so yes, they are pretty rare nowadays. Both of mine came with software manuals that only provided key commands for the /4 keyboard layouts (one (Terminal Emulator I) even came with the old /4 overlay)

Great score there swlovinist! I've been looking for a pair of those joysticks for awhile (not to use of course, I'm not that much of a masochist! - although they aren't bad for Pacman or other games where you don't need the button)

• Like 1