IGNORED

Best game ports on Atari 8-bit

ACML

Hands down : Space Harrier...

But that's on a tech POV, there are other incredible ports that are not pushing the boundaries but are almost exact copies of the arcade and those need love too...

Can you list the Asteroids 2012 as a port as its using the actual arcade roms?

its darn clever and the closest Asteroids ever though..

I suppose it is after thinking about it...

All I know is people have done some incredible software for our Atari, games as close to the arcade as feasible, brilliant work by all...

How about a reverse port, Spelunker to the Arcades :)

And by the man himself...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

There are the obvious ones....

Pac Man

Your post is called the BEST ports... In that light 'Pac Man' is for me not the obvious one when it comes to best ports. To be honest... I find a very poor port.

The Pac Man Arcade port though is excellent yes.

Wasnt "Into the Eagles nest" cartridge version programmed by a Dutch person ?

Yes Kees Beekhuizen. He also coded the atari version of Dizzy Dice IIRC.

I don't know exactly when something is a port or not... but personally I enjoyed Phaeron's port of Midnight Magic (2600 version), Stampede and Sea Quest a lot. Fabulous ports.

• Like 1

Your post is called the BEST ports... In that light 'Pac Man' is for me not the obvious one when it comes to best ports. To be honest... I find a very poor port.

The Pac Man Arcade port though is excellent yes.

Yes, I agree that the Pac Man Arcade version (circa 2012) is far superior, but in 1982, I enjoyed the cartridge version of Pac Man very much and it was extremely playable. Atari for obvious reasons morphed the play field from Portrait to Landscape to fit the 4:3 TV format. It plays smooth, has descent sound, not bad in 1982. When new versions pop up like the 2012 Arcade version and the Asteroids 2012 version, you realize these machines were always capable of a better port, but at the time I thought it was pretty good (Pac Man, not Atari Asteroids). Asteroids on the 8-bit Atari had the potential to be the next big killer app like Star Raiders if they had done it right. Image how many Atari 400 and 800s would have sold if you saw Star Raiders, 2012 Asteroids and 2012 Pac Man Arcade in 1981?

Edited by ACML
  • Like 2

Seeing Star Raiders and Pac-man on the 800 back then made my jaw drop and ignited a burning desire to get a 400/800 computer. I dream't often about getting one and eventually was lucky enough to get a 400 as a present from my parents. I hardly touched my 2600 after that. At that time, I thought the Atari port of Pac-man was simply awesome.

edit: I even included an easter egg in the 400/800 cart of Pac-man Arcade paying homage to the original. :)

• Like 4

Seeing Star Raiders and Pac-man on the 800 back then made my jaw drop and ignited a burning desire to get a 400/800 computer. I dream't often about getting one and eventually was lucky enough to get a 400 as a present from my parents. I hardly touched my 2600 after that. At that time, I thought the Atari port of Pac-man was simply awesome.

edit: I even included an easter egg in the 400/800 cart of Pac-man Arcade paying homage to the original. :)

I thought the Atari 8-bit port of Pac-Man was pretty awesome as well. Especially when you consider what was available at the time for home users. It was far from perfect but better than any other version that wasn't in the arcades. A lot of people now days don't realize this was as good as it got back then short of going to an arcade. What with MAME and other emulators now it's easy to overlook.

And then there was Ms. Pac-Man, even better. Donkey Kong and Joust were pretty good. And let's not forget Atari Invaders by Joe Hellesen which I think was a damn good port of Space Invaders.

So my favorites from back then....

Atari Invaders

Donkey Kong

Joust

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Defender