I'm very like Mario Bros XE and love new design. Thank you darryl1970 for your efforts!

Unfortunately there is one bug... When you start new stage, "POW" platform is not increasing. If you totally waste it, it will not restart anymore.

It would be great to fix it and fully enjoy this game icon_smile.gif

The POW doesn't reset until completing a coin bonus level. We didn't change any of those rules. They have always been the same as the arcade original! :)

Thanks and Enjoy!

So there must be some bug. Please check my short gameplay and at the end you will see that the POW doesn't reset at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUpoyabcb6U

The instructions:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-mario-bros_6046.html

​Say you have to make it to round 8 for the first new POW switch:

attachicon.gifpow.png

Nice catches. I never noticed that was screwed up before. I can't fault them too much, since it's the best home version I know of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to create this ( my 800xl is having issues)

Here is the video :D

Thanks for the coverage. I left a comment. It was fun to watch.

Check out the first post on this thread. All four screens are present in both Donkey Kong games.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267300-my-8-bit-computer-5200-hacks/?p=3797543

It just takes a little longer to get to those screens! ;)

I added the screen order on the Youtube post.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you very much for making, sharing and continuing to update and improve these amazing A8, 5200 and 7800 hacks darryl1970! :thumbsup:

You've improved greatly upon the original A8/5200/7800 versions and have added so much to the gameplay experience by doing so! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Your versions of Donkey Kong create new A8 experiences. Your DK Jr., Popeye and Mario Bros. versions all add a great deal as well. So much has been added by way of new life to these older games that the expression added replay value does not begin to describe what you have achieved here as these versions are like having altogether new games. :grin:

I never cared much for Popeye until I started playing your version A8 arcade version (I'd play occasionally on 5200 but never thought much of it): what you've added really enhances the game. Now I wanna win Olive's love and beat Brutus: "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a cheeseburger today!" ;)

All of your hacks here add wonderful arcade details: thank you very much for taking the time to hack, enhance, and continue to update and share your work.

You have taken gems of varying rarity and quality and made them into precious A8 experiences. Thank you very much darryl1970!

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Please note: I believe that some of darryl1970's games here have been updated here since being included in the http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247123-atari-rom-hacks-atarimax-cart-image/ thread.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

XEX version -- I do not have an XEX version. Maybe somebody can help with that conversion.

DK Jr Arcade has arcade floors and screen graphics. Enhanced has updated graphics, similar to the C-64 Dk Jr game. The floors look like logs, and there is shading on the stumps.

Mario Bros XE Arcade cart. Would be nice to have a XEX file of this for the 130XE! Anyone?

Edited by tjlazer

Can someone patch the RMT version of Donkey Kong for use on the Ultimate Cartridge? The logs keep getting stuck from DK which makes it very easy ;)

are you saying the RMT version has a bad glitch causing the logs to get stopped or stuck? that sound serious and something that needs a correction. I wouldn't want this propagating further in the wild. All for improvements, stuck logs isn't something I'd want associated with the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to have the release date of each "final" versions of the games?

Regards,

- Y -

Sorry, I don't know. I guess you could search Darryl's posts and see when he made them available.

I think I only posted the hack to allow the RMT version to run from the Utlimate Cart (it runs OK from other loaders).

• 3 weeks later...

There's a bonus hack for the 7800 Mario Bros. I found the 7800 graphics tedious to hack. The characters were drawn too small and flat, and the game itself plays horribly. That version has the least number of animation frames, so the animation is poor regardless. It is my "Lipstick on a Pig" release.

Mario Bros 7800:

attachicon.gif0000.png attachicon.gif0001.png attachicon.gif0003.png attachicon.gif0005.png attachicon.gif0006.png

Atari 7800 version - attachicon.gifMariobros_7800_Arcade.a78

Is there a .BIN version of this "Mario Bros 7800" hack anywhere so that I could try it out on real hardware via CC2? Thanks.

• 7 months later...

You know.  When I first tried these a couple years back I was like... Meh.. but then recently I was trying to track down the "Donkey Kong Arcade" with enhanced sounds ( RMT ) mentioned in another thread and decided to give this another go.  I'd have to say I'm quite pleased.

I do have one question.  I grabbed an "Donkey Kong Arcade" executable from another thread (kjmann thread?) and I also grabbed the one from here named "DK_A8_RMT.xex" and I'm trying to figure out which one would be considered the most recent version.

Does anyone know?