IGNORED

Can the boom sound from arcade game Astro Blaster be recreated on the 2600?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering using a slow sample for the low boom and the same sample speeded up for the higher boom in Bosconian/Draconian.

I would like like to know what everyone thinks.

A sample for closer to the arcade, or what the TIA can do (that we've heard so often)?

I have the first 8 sounds (which includes the end music), and an updated Sector Clear fanfare.

Listen for them in the next Draconian build this weekend or next weekend...

• Like 1

Last night, I started playing Spacechase by Apollo... They actually have a really nice explosion sound effect when you shoot the alien ships. They also have a really neat rolling planetscape below, but I digress...

I don't know how to recreate it with Batari Basic, but if anyone can figure it out... I would love to see the code posted. It would be a really kewl sound effect to add the library for some homebrew games.

Last night, I started playing Spacechase by Apollo... They actually have a really nice explosion sound effect when you shoot the alien ships. They also have a really neat rolling planetscape below, but I digress...

I don't know how to recreate it with Batari Basic, but if anyone can figure it out... I would love to see the code posted. It would be a really kewl sound effect to add the library for some homebrew games.

You can use Stella to watch a sound effect happening step-by-step. You can look at the numbers that are used, then copy them into Visual batari Basic's music and sound effects tool. After saving the original sound, you can play around with the sound and see if you can make something that is semi-original sounding even though it's based on a sound from another game.

When I'm able to use my computer sometime next week, I'll check out that sound you were talking about because I don't remember what it sounds like.

You could also use the percussion editor in TIATracker to quickly play around with sound effects. It allows you to set a new distortion, frequency and volume value each frame. It displays frequency and volume over time graphically and you can drag (change) values with the mouse.

Edited by Kylearan

That's funny - I had just recently figured out that explosion sound from Space Chase. To save others the trouble: it's 45 frames long, with the volume starting at max and decrementing every 3 frames. AUDC and AUDF alternate every other frame between AUDC=2, AUDF=7 and AUDC=3, AUDF=10

• Like 2