IGNORED

Aquaventure Question & Request

hizzy

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone else finds the color scheme in Aquaventure to be off? Sometimes, I have a hard time seeing fish or the diver against the color of the water. Am I the only one with this problem? Is it my TV? Would it be hard for someone to change the colors of the sprites to make them more noticeable? This is a great game, but the color issue is a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks!

I noticed this post a few days ago and thought about offering to help, but I didn't have time right then. I thought someone else might beat me to it anyway. I can't make any promises, since I'm really new to hacking these games. I'll see how it looks on my TVs first and if it needs some color adjustments, I'll see if I can do it. :)

EDIT.

OK, I see what you mean. I'm not sure if I can do anything with the fish, but I think I can fix the diver. I'll give it a try.

Edited by RamrodHare

How about changing the color of the water? That might be easier.

I tried changing the diver (seemed simple enough), but I wasn't able to locate where the color was coming from. I know the value is "86" and I was going to change it to "00", so from dark blue, to black. (Or at least I think "00" is black.) :?

The water (Background) changes color from screen to screen, so I would probably have to do a little more work, if I could even find it.. I've asked for a bit of help in the hacking forum, so hopefully someone will fill me in on where the player color is located in the code, since I don't seem to have enough smarts to find it on my own. :P

Why couldn't it have been "Save Our Ship", instead of "Aquaventure". :_(

• Like 1

Other games and other old consoles. I just tried aquaventure on my harmony flash cart and the water was purple.

In my experience, the colors vary on each Atari and on each TV. What may be dark blue on my 2600, may be purple on my 7800. It might even be a different blue or purple on my 2600 Jr.

I've also had some insane color differences on my TVs, even TVs made by the same company. Some were so varied that no amount of adjustments made them look the same as on the other. it's just something you have to live with. I have ran into a few games that had what I would call bad color choices. If the player is dark blue, having a dark blue background doesn't make sense, but it happens. Ine homebrew I tried out recently, looked as if it was meant to be night time, but the player was also a dark color, as were walls. It made the game unplayable, since everything was just a dark screen with some barely visible walls, if your turned the brightness up all the way.. (I'm not mentioning the game, since I feel that should be discussed in the game's thread.)

In my experience, the colors vary on each Atari and on each TV. What may be dark blue on my 2600, may be purple on my 7800. It might even be a different blue or purple on my 2600 Jr.

I've also had some insane color differences on my TVs, even TVs made by the same company. Some were so varied that no amount of adjustments made them look the same as on the other. it's just something you have to live with. I have ran into a few games that had what I would call bad color choices. If the player is dark blue, having a dark blue background doesn't make sense, but it happens. Ine homebrew I tried out recently, looked as if it was meant to be night time, but the player was also a dark color, as were walls. It made the game unplayable, since everything was just a dark screen with some barely visible walls, if your turned the brightness up all the way.. (I'm not mentioning the game, since I feel that should be discussed in the game's thread.)

That's the problem with NTSC why it is something referred as Never Twice the Same Color.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else's Aquaventure look like this? My player is circled. Can you folks see him easily?

I barely see him. If you hadn't circled him, it would have took me a minute to find him. Mine doesn't look like that. Is this the hacked version, posted above? If not, give it a try. I think changing the diver to black is the best solution, but I'm not able to do it.