IGNORED

STAC images

ijor

Not making fun but that is an odd request, an xex of a tape loader?

There's lots of images out there of of that game?

IMHO, not at all. As I wrote in a previous post, this version of International Karate is an special one adapted by Ijor back then. Instead of having 1 scenario as the official tape version widely distributed, this one has 4 scenarios. All of them contained in one single tape loading stage. I haven't seen that version on the net.

Regards!

I'm just trying to extract the IK XEX from the CAS. It seems that it is not actually a XEX, but a RLE-compressed file that it is decompressed on the fly into memory.

If it matters, I'm doing this just for fun. BTW, this is the first time that I had to analyze code that it is using some "illegal" 6502 opcodes.

But isn't there a disk version that has them?

Whatever the answer all I can suggest is that if you are loading Via Altirra that you press F1 to speed the emulated load time up...

Either that or hope ijor does you an xex :)

Yes, there is a disk version, but this is an special version that Ijor made specifically for tape users. Furthermore, an xex version is easier to convert it into a cartridge, for example.

I was able to load the cas successfully in Altirra in warp Speedtest, but the point is to have an xex version to use on cartridges in real hardware or emulator as well.

Best regards and thank you!

I'm just trying to extract the IK XEX from the CAS. It seems that it is not actually a XEX, but a RLE-compressed file that it is decompressed on the fly into memory.

If it matters, I'm doing this just for fun. BTW, this is the first time that I had to analyze code that it is using some "illegal" 6502 opcodes.

Thank you, Victor! That would be useful!

Regards.

If you prefer I can send you or post the "master" disk. Yes, of course, it is decompressed on the fly, that was the whole point. The illegal opcodes are just for the protection. Note that the recorded loader might not match exactly the sources 100% because it might be a different version. Unfortunately I didn't use to save sources for all the versions at that time, but as I recall there weren't so many and they weren't so different.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement a program that would read a master disk and would create XEX files automatically. But I am too lazy to do that right now, sorry :)

If you prefer I can send you or post the "master" disk. Yes, of course, it is decompressed on the fly, that was the whole point. The illegal opcodes are just for the protection. Note that the recorded loader might not match exactly the sources 100% because it might be a different version. Unfortunately I didn't use to save sources for all the versions at that time, but as I recall there weren't so many and they weren't so different.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement a program that would read a master disk and would create XEX files automatically. But I am too lazy to do that right now, sorry :)

That could be great. ¡Gracias!

That could be great. ¡Gracias!

It would be great to post the Master disk? Or it would be great to create an automatic converter? May be I didn't express myself correctly. What I intended to say is that it shouldn't be too difficult to implement, but currently I have no plans and/or no time.

Posting the Master Disk ... I recovered almost all my STAC masters, more than 20 disks. That's about 50 sides. I will share all of them. The only reasons I didn't already is because a couple of disks are damaged and I still hope to be able to recover them in another drive. Also a couple are still with the disk copy protection, and I want to remove the protection before.

StacMaster-22f.zip

• Like 4

Posting the Master Disk ... I recovered almost all my STAC masters, more than 20 disks. That's about 50 sides. I will share all of them. The only reasons I didn't already is because a couple of disks are damaged and I still hope to be able to recover them in another drive. Also a couple are still with the disk copy protection, and I want to remove the protection before.

Thank you! That 's useful. I'll take a look into it. Regards!

• 3 weeks later...