SimCity

33 replies to this topic

#26 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,928 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:50 PM

$80 is affordable (for current PEB owners) but for wider spread use it requires a PEB. I'm thinking a SAMS like side cart maybe?

EDIT: I rarely use my PEB console but if I did get a SAMS and there was software available for it, I'd use it more.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:52 PM.

#27 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,141 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 AM

Ah, that IS a good point... I got my PEB back in 1987, and I keep forgetting while there are millions of TI consoles, there's actually a LOT less PEB's out there. (I seem to recall a figure of around 100,000 manufactured, can anyone confirm that?)

I'll use and enjoy my hardware as long as I'm able to, but there's always emulation as well.

#28 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,580 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 AM

What's the reason for this?  The TI port of GCC supports C++, although I have no idea what standards version.

I thought there were problems with the C++ build.

*edit*
Plus I think it might be difficult to deal with all the pointers related to objects.  
Inheritance works really well... unless you try to inherit code from a different memory page.

Edited by JamesD, Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:34 AM.

#29 chue ONLINE  

chue

Chopper Commander

• 134 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:37 AM

I thought there were problems with the C++ build.

It works for me (running Linux).  At least some simple "hello world" type stuff.

Also from here (http://atariage.com/...e-ti/?p=2028632):

Released 2017-02-19

Added tail call optimization

Confirmed C++ support

#30 Gip-Gip OFFLINE  

Gip-Gip

Chopper Commander

• 205 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 PM

If I didn't have 3 or so projects going on at the same time I'd take a shot at it. It wouldn't be so bad if you could supply a bit of memory with the game, but then it get really expensive/impractical

I'm willing to bet many (new) owners don't have more than the original 16K of VDP RAM, so I don't see a problem developing for a SAMS type system. Especially if there's no other way to do it.

• RXB likes this

#31 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

River Patroller

• 4,705 posts

Posted Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 AM

Would it have to be a SimCity port, or would it be just as fun with a SimCity inspired game, tailored to the TI abilities and limitations? Call it a demake if you like, but with smaller data sets to handle, and graphics you can decide yourself how they should work, it might go from impressive port 25 years too late, to unique must-have game.

#32 am1933 OFFLINE  

am1933

Stargunner

• 1,036 posts

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 AM

Would it be possible in a stock machine with the 32K expansion. A fully playable version was made for the BBC Micro model B......which has a mere 32K RAM (though the various graphics modes eat up the RAM like nobody's business).

https://www.youtube....h?v=N7U44V9CiHg

#33 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,366 posts

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 PM

... I keep forgetting while there are millions of TI consoles, there's actually a LOT less PEB's out there. (I seem to recall a figure of around 100,000 manufactured, can anyone confirm that?)

I dunno about the actual count, but I imagine someone like Ksarul knowsa the answer.  With the size of the TI community these days, there are more than enough P-Boxes to go around.  With Matt's 32K, Nano-PEB's, and possibly the TIPI unit in the future, many people may opt to go those routes foregoing the PEB altogether. Serious TI'ers will still go with the P-Box if they have the space and are willing to fork out a few extra bucks.

#34 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,928 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:53 PM

I've got a SAMS on my wishlist. So many things happening right now and not just in the TI community. Been real busy with my Amiga lately and now I'm about to pull my Atari 2600 out of storage and do the composite video mod to it, then connect it to a TV again and leave it connected. Right between my PS3 and XBox 360. Also awaiting my Retro Pi to get here that will share the same TV with the other 3. Funtimes over here. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users