Classic Computers Spotted in Movies!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,950 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:20 AM

So I finally got around to watching John Wick 2 this weekend.  Pretty good movie.

And what did i see in it. you ask?  A Classic Commodore 64 computer.  

It got me wondering what other movies or music videos have people seen classic computers make an appearance in?

I know there is a music video with a TI-99/4A in it, but I have not found it yet.  I remember seeing it last year.

Here is the one from John Wick 2:

C5EED6MWMAAnZi4.jpg

#2 landgraf OFFLINE  

landgraf

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:52 AM

I spotted a C64 (or was it a VIC-20? Always hard to tell apart) in G.O.R.A., where it is used to upload martial art skills from datassette right into the protagonist's brain. :D

• jhd likes this

#3 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Quadrunner

• 5,025 posts

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:33 PM

Unless the light is bad, you should have little trouble to tell apart the cream coloured VIC-20 and the dust grey C64. Most VIC's have brown function keys, though the last ones had grey keys. Most C64's have grey function keys, though the earliest ones had brown keys. The one in John Wick definitely is a VIC-20.

Also try sites like Starring the Computer for at least partial lists.

#4 landgraf OFFLINE  

landgraf

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Sun Jul 9, 2017 11:18 AM

Thanks for the link. G.O.R.A is listed there, but the lighting is different on every shot, on the first the looks like a VIC colour-wise, on the last it could as well be a C64.

#5 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,263 posts

Posted Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:27 PM

The tandy color computer shows up in Revenge of the nerds. Funny that they removed the label on the computer identifying it as such. Maybe didn't have Tandy's permission to showcase the computer so they remove it? Just a guess.

#6 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,633 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 PM

That is most likely what had happened. I have seen labels/tags of devices over the years in movies removed because either they did not have permission or they did not want the scene associated with a particular product. Here is a great website that archives computers in movies:

http://www.starringthecomputer.com/

#7 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Quadrunner

• 5,025 posts

Posted Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 AM

Or perhaps the device was called something else in the movie, or was meant to be a fantasy product except instead of manufacturing a brand new mockup, they used an existing item with labels masked away. I doubt film producers seek permission to display every product that appears in the movie, unless they want the manufacturer to sponsor them and make it an active product placement. It would also be unfair to manufacturers whose products generally are so nondescript that you'd have to look closely to determine who made it.

#8 am1933 OFFLINE  

am1933

Stargunner

• 1,036 posts

Posted Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:04 AM

Tandy CoCo shows up in "This is Spinal Tap"

BBC Micro can be seen in "Electric Dreams"

Atari 800XL can be seen in "D.A.R.Y.L"

Atari 800 and Atari 5200 can be seen in "Cloak and Dagger"

Memotech MTX512 can be seen in "Weird Science"

There are a load of them, these are just some of the ones I remember off of the top of my head.

#9 atarianer2003 OFFLINE  

atarianer2003

Moonsweeper

• 294 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 PM

Spotted Atari computers: 

"Married … with Children", episode "Old College Try": Bud has an Atari ST in his dorm

"Bullyparade – Der Film" (Germany): Löffler has two Atari ST computers on a shelf in his garage

"Ein Fall für TKKG – Drachenauge" (Germany): The kids are looking up a poet in a database with a 1040 ST

"Police Academy 4" - In the background in the warehouse is a box of a 520 ST

"Terminator 2" - The Portfolio scenes should be widely known ;-)

http://atarimuseum.de/tv.htm 

#10 CRTGAMER OFFLINE  

CRTGAMER

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 PM

So I finally got around to watching John Wick 2 this weekend.  Pretty good movie.

And what did i see in it. you ask?  A Classic Commodore 64 computer.  

It got me wondering what other movies or music videos have people seen classic computers make an appearance in?

I know there is a music video with a TI-99/4A in it, but I have not found it yet.  I remember seeing it last year.

Here is the one from John Wick 2:

As pointed out already, that is a Vic20. Makes me wonder why a more common inexpensive regular PC keyboard was not used? Perhaps the Vic20 thickness and white color stood out better?

Thanks for pointing that out, I just got the DVD from the library to watch this week.

#11 RobertB OFFLINE  

RobertB

Dragonstomper

• 572 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:49 PM

Yes, I saw that Commodore in John Wick 2, also.  In other recent movies, a C64C with PET-style datasette sitting on top was in the Charlize Theron pic, "Atomic Blonde".  Since the movie is supposed to be in 1989, she is in this "hacker/passport-making" lair, and the place is strewn with computers.  The C64C with datasette wasn't doing anything, and neither were the classic Mac's.  However, there was an Atari ST with something scrolling on the display monitor.

Then there is the newly-premiered, "Remembering Leonard Nimoy".  In this very personal look into the family life of actor/director/writer Nimoy, in one scene it shows him inserting a floppy disk into a brown 1541 with a brown C64 in front of him.  It went by so fast that I couldn't recognize the monitor.

Writing from Portland, Oregon,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Writing from Portland, Oregon,

Robert

#12 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Quadrunner

• 5,025 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 PM

I must admit I misread that twice as "a C64C with PET-style datasette sitting on top of Charlize Theron" and wondered what kind of movie this is.

#13 RobertB OFFLINE  

RobertB

Dragonstomper

• 572 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:18 AM

I must admit I misread that twice as "a C64C with PET-style datasette sitting on top of Charlize Theron"...

Boing!  That would have been some kind of movie.  :)

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users