IGNORED

Hardware and Software Limitations of the Atari Consoles and Computers

ZetTheLegendaryHero

First off, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I don't know of a better place to ask.

If you were to compare the hardware and software limitations of each of Atari's home consoles (2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, and Jaguar CD), computers (400, 800, 600, 800XL, ST, Mega ST, STe, Mega STe), and its handheld (Lynx), what would each one be capable when the hardware was pushed to its limits and what would most pieces of software that didn't push the hardware (but, at the same time, didn't make the console look weaker then it was) be capable of. Please note, I'm not actually looking for fun or usability (though it doesn't matter if the software is either one or both). Also note, I'm trying to limit the computers models a little and only want the consoles and handhelds that weren't dedicated consoles or portables. Finally, I'm excluding Atari's arcade machines for simplicity sake.'

Edit: I wanted to add that the only reason why I ask, is because I want to make some Atari style games, but I wanted them to feel accurate to if they were on an actual hardware. But, I didn't know which platform I wanted to use for a base (or even how to handle something with accurate styling and game play in mind).

Edit (again): Uh, how do I delete this post; my little cousin is visiting and used my computer without my permission...

Edited by ZetTheLegendaryHero

I wanted to add that the only reason why I ask, is because I want to make some Atari style games, but I wanted them to feel accurate to if they were on an actual hardware. But, I didn't know which platform I wanted to use for a base (or even how to handle something with accurate styling and game play in mind).

Why don't you go play some games yourself ... your question is like, "what car should I buy, I've only ridden bicycles." There are also approximately eighteen zillion youtube videos out there.

Why don't you go play some games yourself ... your question is like, "what car should I buy, I've only ridden bicycles." There are also approximately eighteen zillion youtube videos out there.

Did you read the second edit? I didn't make that post. My little cousin (she's 13, but I've always called her my little cousin [she's also I bit of a computer geek, but likes to ask stupid questions]) used my computer when I wasn't looking while I was logged in on this site.

You can't really delete a post. But you can edit the whole thing down to one word like "TestPost".

In any case, to answer your question, you just have to experience each console for yourself and decide what you want. There is no one right of wrong answer.

Accurate styling and gameplay.. In comparison to what? If you're looking to make remakes, then you should start with the arcade cabs. Use those as a reference. I personally wouldn't be interested in a remake of a "port to a home console".. I'd just emulate the home machine and play it there. Or get the home console and use that.

Did you read the second edit? I didn't make that post. My little cousin (she's 13, but I've always called her my little cousin [she's also I bit of a computer geek, but likes to ask stupid questions]) used my computer when I wasn't looking while I was logged in on this site.

No question is stupid.

If this was done in error, then case closed..

You can't really delete a post. But you can edit the whole thing down to one word like "TestPost".

In any case, to answer your question, you just have to experience each console for yourself and decide what you want. There is no one right of wrong answer.

Accurate styling and gameplay.. In comparison to what? If you're looking to make remakes, then you should start with the arcade cabs. Use those as a reference. I personally wouldn't be interested in a remake of a "port to a home console".. I'd just emulate the home machine and play it there. Or get the home console and use that.

According to her, she was talking about making an accurate Atari style game (one the simulates it) on a Windows PC.

Edit: You know, not sure if I can trust her on this...