modding an Intellivision...which one and who is currently doing services

8 replies to this topic

#1 swlovinist OFFLINE  

swlovinist

Stargunner

• 1,973 posts
  • I heart videogames!

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:36 AM

I am currently underway making a new classic game room for my early game consoles and computers.  I would like to have my Intellivision with my new setup.  It is one of a few consoles that I do not have mods done with.  I like the compact design of the INTV II, along with the fact that it can have replaceable controllers.  I have several models of the Intellivision(Sears, INTV III, Intellivsion II, original) and wanted some input on which one I should have video mod services done to.   I will be hooking this console up to a Sony Trinitron that has AV and Component hookups with an excellent picture.  Any input is most welcome, thanks!

#2 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,917 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 12:20 PM

I think the best video mod is RGB. I heard that composite mods isn't much better than RF. Just use a good quality rf cable with the sony trinitron. The Intellivision IIs and later have slightly different sound chips. Its subtle but some games' sounds are affected.

#3 IMBerzerk OFFLINE  

IMBerzerk

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sun Jul 9, 2017 10:20 AM

I did the composite mod on one of my units, not impressed. The colors were somewhat washed out and it lacked the clarity I was expecting.

I recently modded a Sears unit into a Retropie/Emulationstation game console. Best decision I could ever make. It correctly emulates 22 consoles and has room for more

I would look into doing the same for your room. Not sure if you have 22 consoles to plug in.. but that's a lot of cables and power chords you would avoid playing with.

#4 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,102 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Sun Jul 9, 2017 10:35 AM

Well I have to disagree with the above statements concerning Intelly AV mods. I've only done the composite mod and used the kit from the guy in Turkey. Took forever to get the mod board in but it is 100%+ better than the RF output is on any of my Intellivisions. I opted to mod my Sears model as it is the most ugly cosmetically with lots of scratches and such all over the it. So I didn't mind altering it. I did a video of the composite mod process and the results I got and I've been most pleased!

The only issue I've had and I don't know if it is my particular intellivision or something with the mod, but the brightness will change while playing a game. It is very much game specific. So say something with a lot of black as the background it isn't so bad. But then play something like Fathom or Atlantis and the brightness shifting is quite apparent. But I still much prefer it to the horrid snowy and static audio laden mess that all four of my Intellys give through RF.

The mod using the composite mod board is really quite easy and I even made a video of it on my YT channel going through the process.

#5 pimpmaul69 OFFLINE  

pimpmaul69

River Patroller

• 4,829 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Technician

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 AM

Well I have to disagree with the above statements concerning Intelly AV mods. I've only done the composite mod and used the kit from the guy in Turkey. Took forever to get the mod board in but it is 100%+ better than the RF output is on any of my Intellivisions. I opted to mod my Sears model as it is the most ugly cosmetically with lots of scratches and such all over the it. So I didn't mind altering it. I did a video of the composite mod process and the results I got and I've been most pleased!

The only issue I've had and I don't know if it is my particular intellivision or something with the mod, but the brightness will change while playing a game. It is very much game specific. So say something with a lot of black as the background it isn't so bad. But then play something like Fathom or Atlantis and the brightness shifting is quite apparent. But I still much prefer it to the horrid snowy and static audio laden mess that all four of my Intellys give through RF.

The mod using the composite mod board is really quite easy and I even made a video of it on my YT channel going through the process.

there are like 4 motherboards in the intellivisions. The ones used in the sears units are the absolute best ones for using the turkey mod. Great quality. Some boards are really terrible and a new rf box and rf cable is a better way to go. I cant remember but is the motherboard white? I think these boards were the only ones that couldnt be system changer modded without a lot of extra work due to a different design. Its been a while since i have done these so i forget exactly.

#6 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,102 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 PM

Well..I honestly can't tell you because I happen to know for a fact that my Sears unit didn't work when i first bought it many years ago. As a result the main board was replaced with one from a standard Mattel Intelly LOL. To me the boards looked alike as I recall back then and all I had to do was literally unplug the original controllers from the Intelly and plug the controller port cables into the main board from the Sears unit. In fact, they use the same bottom case. Only the tops were different molded. But my Sears Intelly has a standard main board in it. Again, with a CRT the mod looks awesome! On my flat panel LED it looks really good as well. No complaints at all and trust me, I'm very picky about the picture quality. I tried all the known video mods on my 7800 and never 100% like any of them for one reason or another. That was until Bryan's UAV came along.

#7 IMBerzerk OFFLINE  

IMBerzerk

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:38 PM

@pimpmaul69... if I recall correctly, you're right. The Sears unit had a white PCB. I have no idea what the differences are as like most, I had to swap stuff from one to another for it to work. But I remember it looked different when I opened them up, and I've repaired a few

BTW...I'm sticking to my guns on the Retropie option. As much as I am an Intellivision enthusiast, I have 8 working INTYs, I can't help but love the idea that I can do so much with my one Super Video Retrocade.

As CRTs are becoming fewer and harder to find, I saved two just for my Coleco, 2600, and Inty. But for over-all fun and a big hit on football/poker nights, I turn on my SVR hooked up to the 65" LED.

#8 Lord Helmet OFFLINE  

Lord Helmet

Don't forget your helmet!

• 9,985 posts

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:17 PM

I did the mod from the guy in Turkey on my Inty2. Turned out great. Picture is better than my similarly modded 2600 and Colecovision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 RT12 Productions OFFLINE  

RT12 Productions

Star Raider

• 53 posts
  • Researcher/Programmer

Posted Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 PM

Does anybody have instructions on how to do an HDMI mod on an INTELLIVISION console (any model)?!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users