IGNORED

Ready...Player One - anyone read it?

I bought the book...recommended it to my mom, an avid reader, knowing it was such a good book from reviews that she would probably enjoy it anyway even if it isn't her normal cup of tea. She read it, thought it was awesome, and told me I should read it. Still haven't gotten around to it......LOL. Will soon though, this thread is motivating me.

RPO is a wonderful book. I loved the way it was both nostalgic and futuristic, albeit dystopian. It also had the essential ingredient of a main character with depth, and you can relate to him. I'd say that's what's wrong with Armada; the main character is less organic and more caricature. For whatever reason, I just didn't care about him. Will Ernest Cline turn out to be a one-hit wonder? And will Spielberg get his act together and deliver an involving and entertaining film, or will it be turgid mechanical cinema? I hope Spielberg sticks to the personal odyssey story, and doesn't get on his high horse and start lecturing us about global warming or other ills of society. Yes, it's a dystopian environment, but that's the backdrop for a lost boy to emerge from. You want to send a message, use Western Union, as they say. Except Western Union doesn't send messages anymore. What's the world coming to? No, it's escapism I require. Someone tell Spielberg to see Sullivan's Travels again before he puts RPO in the can. Just kidding; for better or worse, it is what it is. FWIW I loved A.I. Artificial Intelligence, but was disgusted with Indiana Jones and the King with the Crystal Balls. Actually, I feel sorry for Spielberg; my expectations are so high that it's impossible to meet them. Time will tell...

I'm going to ease my expectations on this movie. I was all details with a few oyher movies made from books I liked. But when I watched them and let the details slide,

I enjoyed the movie more. There is no way he'll be able to create what is in my mind, which is drawn from the mind of someone else... so why ruin it.

I think this will be a cool techno-retro movie that will become a cult classic. Many critics will hate it, hard-line "Need for Speed" lovers will not get it, and the general public which did not grow up in "our world" will simply walk away scratching their heads.

So this will probably be Spielberg's Blade Runner. Which I love.

So this will probably be Spielberg's Blade Runner. Which I love.

Have you seen a really good Spielberg film since Schindler's List? I don't think I have ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Spielberg_filmographyreminds me I should check out Bridge of Spies and Lincoln (and BFG is on Netflix right now), but he's not necessarily box office magic anymore.

Have you seen a really good Spielberg film since Schindler's List? I don't think I have ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Spielberg_filmographyreminds me I should check out Bridge of Spies and Lincoln (and BFG is on Netflix right now), but he's not necessarily box office magic anymore.

I was going to say, not since Close Encounters, and I prefer the original to the director's cut. But after looking at the list I liked Catch Me If You Can; didn't even know it was Spielberg directed.

I should have worded that different... this will be a cult classic... Spielberg's cult classic just like what became of Blade Runner, RHPC, Alens... etc.

Yes... I have...

War Horse

Lincoln

Bridge of Spies

Flags of Our Fathers

Letter from Iwo Jima

Are all fantastic movies. Well written and very well acted. For his sci-fi genre... all the Trasnformer movies and Poltergeist (original and remake)

If you look at that list you posted, there are a ton of great movies he made.. and some that really suck... BFG>>> WTF??

Edited by IMBerzerk