Ready...Player One - anyone read it?

58 replies to this topic

#51 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,498 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:20 AM

That looks neat ... but I also feel a profound sadness even just from that short clip, the knowledge that something I like a lot just isn't very good for me. I can't imagine a more powerful anti-game PSA than RP1. Haven't felt such pathos from a pop film since Wall-E.

299f51d.jpg

#52 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,498 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 PM

A little Debbie Downer, but good points: http://www.avclub.co...y-player-259303

#53 IMBerzerk OFFLINE  

IMBerzerk

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 PM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion...as you and I are. But I totally disagree with this article.

It's a fun book, with a fun storyline meant to touch on an era of our lives long gone. That's it. Trying to find the perfection and deeper storyline, justifying details or picking apart a completely ficticous story just makes this author sound like a jackass.

Just enjoy the book, laugh at it and allow it to take you back to a time we all remember before everything was so damn serious and needed to be fact checked.

Jeeze...

#54 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,969 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 AM

I haven't read the book, but reviews I've read say that apart from just references to nostalgic properties, the story has very little going for it.

Essentially, they seem to suggest that the excitement over the book is purely from the "geek-chic-culture" where just recognizing something from your childhood is apparently "cool" and a badge of honour, and it becomes a "game" to try to figure out all references (sort of what MST3K became in its last several seasons), with little else content.

If that's the case then... Meh.

Can someone tell me if there is more to the book than this? Because the trailer to the movie seems to embrace that particular feature exclusively as well.

dZ.

#55 First Spear OFFLINE  

First Spear

Stargunner

• 1,126 posts

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 AM

I read the book a few years ago, and remember it as very, very good. There were not just clips of nostalgia, but a complexity to how the nostalgic bits are interwoven.

I am prepared to be disappointed by the movie, precisely because the book was so deep and detailed. I think the concept would work much better if it was a high-budget Netflix series, where there is a chance to develop background and weave 80's tech nostalgia in properly to make the story move. I don't think the book can be fit into ~2 hours without it being much more than a super CGI extravaganza like that Adam Sandler movie from a year or 2 ago.

#56 tep392 OFFLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,833 posts

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 AM

I liked the plot and think it would have been great story even without the 80's references, though they did add some fun for those of us who grew up in that era.  The whole 80's obsession was really an integral part of the story.

#57 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,969 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the book out. I am not holding my breath for the movie...

#58 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,498 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sun Sep 3, 2017 8:22 AM

"Member berries"

http://www.avclub.co...rrie-1798730608

#59 GenetixJ OFFLINE  

GenetixJ

Moonsweeper

• 375 posts
  • 8-bit pharmacy

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 1:35 PM

I loved this book. I knew it would be cheesy, but it was fairly entertaining. I found myself trying to figure out the puzzles as I read the book.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users