IGNORED

Help me remember the name of this handheld!

Ok, so this would have been the late-90s, maybe 2000. (I know this because I was out of college for a few years and heading towards divorce at the time, heh.) This handheld was advertised on TV - even had the corny little 'TV!' sticker on the box - and looked sort of like a white/gray Genesis controller with a little flip-up screen. It was very Tiger-like, only much better and actually playable, and had a variety of rudimentary games like Tetris, Breakout, Pong, Indy 500, etc. Even in the era of SNES, Playstation, N64, etc. I still found myself having fun with this little bastard! It even played various public domain jingles at certain times!

It also had a calculator, lol.

??

I don't remember the name (it was something 2000 I think) but I do remember the INFURIATING commercial on television with the voice over shouting "never buy those expensive game cartridges again!," complete with a clip of a housewife throwing Street Fighter II in the garbage. How DARE you disrespect the classics that way!

Edit: Probably something like this. http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mVzC9u6877PHGnEUgfTXE-A.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a variant of that. Mines translucent blue and the screen is actually on the bottom calf, the flip up bit is just a screen protector. Its as near as I can tell functionally the exact same console. Like breakout and the racers, but otherwise its just a 'meh' device. Despite having the exact screen as the dedicated tetris handheld, iirc it doesn't actually have Tetris on it.

Yessss, that's it! lol Thank you!

Here's the ad! Scream in agony as the hand throws away a perfectly good Super NES cartridge, only to replace it with this LCD disaster!

Now I've GOT to get one in it's original packaging so I can FINALLY toss away all of these tedious and boring NES/SNES carts! Super Metroid, Tyson's, and Castlevania 3? You are the FIRST to go now that I'll be once again own the mighty 'Pro 2000'! :lol:

(Why did I think that the name began with an 'ex', as in Excelsior, Executive, etc. ? Weird.)

Call NOW!

Damn, I had something exactly like this. The form factor was a little different, and it didn't have the keyboard. But other than that, very similar to that "Pro 200". Plus, it had a backlight (oooooh). I actually ended up playing it a lot, but that was before I got into handheld gaming with a GBA SP in the early 2000's.

Lines have to be drawn in the sand somewhere, this is definitely would be a contender. I've played quite a few one to two style handheld LCD games over the decades, but nothing looks from what I've experienced to be as rotten as that. I remember that TV spot well and thought it was a disgusting joke even by that era. I mean in 90s you had the Gameboy which destroyed it, and even ignoring that, any common Nintendo, Tiger, Radio Shack, etc LCD game&watch or wrist watch style game had far more personality than this turd. If it didn't say it was a game on the front at least you could try and pass it as a calculator in class to goof off, but even fails at trying to pass for that.

• Like 1

I had to make numerous long, cross-country plane trips between 1990 and 2000, and I remember that my Mother bought me one of those to use on the plane. :) She meant well, of course, but I think I only played it for a few hours, at best. I still have it in a box somewhere. These were all over the thrift shops a few years later.

There was a crude, Galaxian-like game that was actually fun, but the rest of the variations were nothing special.

For the best of both worlds, there is the Power Player Famiclone:

power_player.jpg

Who could forget this thing? Actually, we all should.

I remember talking about this on a forum online at that time. Someone said something like, "That's a great idea. And why don'we all go live in dumbass land where people play nothing but bullshit?" and it went on like that.