Photo

TI/99 4A video question

16 replies to this topic

#1 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 9,941 posts

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:23 AM

I picked up a dirt cheap TI99 last weekend with the speech box and 3 carts. It had the power supply but no video. I tried my Sega video cable since it had the same pin out but it didn't seem to work (I later researched that the pin out is in fact different) What I got on the screen with every cart and even with no cart was a screen with black and white wavy horizontal lines. I will try to take a pic later

My question is whether this may be the cable or if it is a sign of a dead unit. I'm not sure where or how to get a cable. I don't have the skill or parts to make my own and don't want to spend a lot on a gamble. Like I said I will try to get a pic later but just wondering from the experts what you think.

#2 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,775 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:13 AM

Video cable here - https://www.arcadesh...tegory=23804650

#3 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,878 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 PM

I picked up a dirt cheap TI99 last weekend with the speech box and 3 carts. It had the power supply but no video. I tried my Sega video cable since it had the same pin out but it didn't seem to work (I later researched that the pin out is in fact different) What I got on the screen with every cart and even with no cart was a screen with black and white wavy horizontal lines. I will try to take a pic later

My question is whether this may be the cable or if it is a sign of a dead unit. I'm not sure where or how to get a cable. I don't have the skill or parts to make my own and don't want to spend a lot on a gamble. Like I said I will try to get a pic later but just wondering from the experts what you think.

Could definable be a cable issue, maybe audio and video is reversed.

correct pinout is HERE

If your cable is correct then your VDP could be bad.

#4 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 10,177 posts
  • TI-99/4A Fanatic

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 PM

I know you said it was a dirt-cheap TI and I don't know yet if you plan to stick with it or not, but my one and only suggestion for video concerning the TI can be found by ... << CLICKING HERE >>.

#5 eightbit ONLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,402 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 PM

That sounds like a cable issue. The same cable you can use for the Atari 8-bit computers, C64 and Vic-20 can be used with the TI99/4A....so if you have any of those you can use one from one of those computers as far as I remember.

Edited by eightbit, Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:40 PM.

#6 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,941 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 PM

I have the C64 RGB cable but I wouldn't have thought that would work. The one I tried was the Genesis AV cable.

#7 eightbit ONLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,402 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 PM

You mean like a chroma/luma cable? It might if one of the connectors is wired to the proper pin. I have one of those for my C64 (has chroma. luma, audio and composite...four connectors) and I have used it in the past for various consoles and computers...simply testing each connector until I got video! ;)

#8 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,941 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 PM

Doesn't look like it would fit, it has six pins it looks like. I took a pic of what I get with the genesis av cable

Attached Files

#9 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,941 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 PM

I found an RF box with my commodore 64 stuff and it has the proper pins but this time it gave me a black static screen with a high pitched whine sound. 

Hard to see in the bottom pic but that black screen had some green looking static almost like green dots like very faint matrix code

Attached Files

#10 eightbit ONLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,402 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:08 PM

Hmm, not sure. That RF box is from a vic-20. The whole modulator is in that box so I doubt that would work. I recently took my TI99/4A cable off of the TI (as I now have the F18A VGA adapter) and am now using the exact same cable with my Atari 65XE, so I know they are the same pinout. This is the cable purchased from basicwayne on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...YMAAOxy~g5Rykwx

These are good too and work for multiple machines:

http://www.ebay.com/...xwvlc7ClvaEIjWA

You'll need it anyway down the road. If the TI99 ends up being garbage you can get another for dirt cheap. Mine was $20. I have to say though that I have never had a bad TI99/4A out of quite a few I have had over the years.

Edited by eightbit, Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 PM.

#11 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,941 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:18 PM

Thanks eightbit I think when I get some extra paypal cash I'll pick up one of those cables, not too expensive so worth the gamble :)

#12 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,775 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:21 PM

It's a super easy and inexpensive mod.

http://www.instructa...te-Video-Cable/

EDIT - You don't have to disassemble the plug like in these instructions, you can just solder the wires. 

Also, is it PAL or NTSC? 

6721.png

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 PM.

#13 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,941 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:51 PM

Its NTSC but I don't have the tools or skills to do this

#14 Gip-Gip OFFLINE  

Gip-Gip

Chopper Commander

• 197 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 PM

Its NTSC but I don't have the tools or skills to do this

Soldering isn't that hard and the tools are usually pretty cheap. It wouldn't hurt to get one for the long run

Edited by Gip-Gip, Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:10 PM.

#15 Gip-Gip OFFLINE  

Gip-Gip

Chopper Commander

• 197 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 PM

Even if you're not into soldering you could easily make one yourself for approx. $6. Just tie the RCA cable in a fancy knot around the pins. 

Edited by Gip-Gip, Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 PM.

#16 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,941 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:44 AM

Soldering isn't that hard and the tools are usually pretty cheap. It wouldn't hurt to get one for the long run

I actually do want to get some equipment like a good soldering station and an o-scope and start learning

#17 TheTIGuy OFFLINE  

TheTIGuy

Space Invader

• 46 posts
  • ALIVE!
  • Location:The place i just so happen to not want to be at the moment.

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 PM

You can get video from the Sega cable but not audio by plugging the audio end into the video jack BUT DON'T PLUG THE VIDEO INTO THE AUDIO as the video will be outputting 12vdc.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users