Photo

Intellivision controllers are a pain

30 replies to this topic

#26 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,323 posts

Posted Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:21 AM

You could use NTT Data, Famicom Network, or that Commodore controller (game pads with built in keypad)

#27 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,397 posts

Posted Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:46 AM

Well are they the same?

Keypad need an encoding chip, it's not send "wire by wire" like Atari joysticks (else you'd need quite the thick cable).

The problem being that different pads usually use their own encoding signal method.

#28 LiqMat OFFLINE  

LiqMat

Dragonstomper

• 596 posts

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:01 AM

All my Atari 2600 neighborhood friends would complain about the disc, but once they got used to it they soon realized it was a far superior system. The keypad with overlays was very innovative for the time and gave games much deeper gameplay. From a purely aesthetic point of view I think the gold disc has that total early 80s look which I love. Talking about aesthetics, the Sears Super Video Arcade is still my favorite model. It just has that perfect early 80s look to it IMO.

#29 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 640 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 PM

I always really liked the disc controller.

The number keypad was just OK after getting used to it. I kinda like the bubble top feel.

The biggest problem is the side buttons, they are just too small and too stiff for rapid repeated presses. They make games like Nova Blast very difficult, almost impossible to play.

I get the feeling that the game designers mostly shared these opinions, as most games use only occasional side button or keypad presses rather than rapid presses. Where rapid shooting is needed, they sometimes came up with ways around it, eg the gave you autofire in Astrosmash.

#30 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

Quadrunner

• 5,153 posts

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 AM

As someone who didn't start using the Intelivision (and for that matter, the Colecovision) controllers until after I bought the flashbacks of them in 2014, my thoughts on the Intelivision controller were better then I thought they were going to be.  The main drawback I had was that I was coming at them after decades of playing sideways based controllers, starting with the NES and going up to the current system.  They fit well in the hands, even if they aren't the most comfortable.  Trying to get used to a vertical controller was rough.  No matter how I held them, they still cramp my hands after a while of using them (the Colecovision one is worse in that respect).  I don't understand the design thought back then.  I understand it was early days when everything was brand new, but damn it, a sideways controller is just more comfortable to use!

The side buttons are another issue, but not as big a one.  Again, I wish they were on the controller FRONT, not on the side.  Never been a fan of controllers that did that.

Once I got used to the disc, though, I found it really easy to use and control and was moving around with ease.  It just felt like a early version of a thumbstick to me, just I'm using my finger as opposed to my thumb.

If I'd had one and used one as a kid, I'd probably feel different about it.  Just wanted to give my 'old man first time' perspective. :)

#31 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,917 posts

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 AM

The design thought on vertical controllers was to be symetrical and equally fair for right handed and left handed people. The reality is both hands are used anyway so people learned to use left-handed controllers like the NES without issue. Well those that started out using Intellivision controllers with their right thumb on the disc might have had issue adjusting to NES style left-handed controllers. Using the disc with your finger rather than thumb is unusual.

Edit:
One thing I might add to the controller would be marks on the plastic cover around the disc marking N, NE, E etc. It might help hitting diagonals in snafu. And better side buttons for rapid fire games. Otherwise the ergonomics are good. Having the choice of the two buttons on each side helps compared to colecovision or a7800 where you might have to use both buttons, one on either side.

Edited by mr_me, Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:20 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users