Photo

using arduino nano (16mhz) to drive vcs tia(ntsc) clock?

arduino nano arduino nano arduino nano (16mhz) (16mhz) vcs tia vcs 2600 TIA

1 reply to this topic

#1 universal2600 OFFLINE  

universal2600

Star Raider

• 89 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 PM

hello i've been searching around on the web but havent found a definitive  answer, i know that it's possible to get a 1 - 2 Mhz "clock" by toggling an arduino pin, but would it be possible to genrate  the 3.579545 Mhz since you can actually display a composite output using the arduino tv out library? the project is pretty much a general sound and video synth, just to see how much more one could get out of a TIA chip by removing it from the limiting memory map/configuration of the 2600, aswell as having the more oomph power of the arduino at 16mhz, could one generate the clock and still have enough cpu(arduino) cycles to actually do useful stuff.

P.s is it possible to use 2 74hc595 one for the addressing and the other for the data bus on the tia, or are the signal timings that precise?

Edited by universal2600, Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 PM.

#2 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,870 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:56 PM

the 3.57xxx mhz is required to generate color, which TV out does not, I used to be very familiar with it but not anymore, but it takes a fair amount of time at 16Mhz just generating the timing signals and even if ram is not a factor I think the best resolution I got was like 200x200

now that's not to say it cant be done with a micro, plenty of people have done it, what it does require typically is a base clock of some multiple of 3.57 (for instance the uzebox is 28.61818Mhz or 8x) and some good low level programming 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arduino, nano, arduino nano, arduino nano (16mhz), (16mhz), vcs tia, vcs, 2600, TIA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users