IGNORED

Lode Runner for Atari 7800

sixersfan105

Is anybody up to the task of creating a version of Lode Runner for the 7800? I understand it did appear in some promotional materials back in the day but no known prototypes exist. Perhaps a port incorporating some of the Atari 8-bit and XE(GS) versions? Frankly, the two button aspect of the 7800 controller would work great with left and right blasting.

Are there other Lode Runner fans out there that would like to see this come to fruition? Hope so!

• Like 4

I loved Lode Runner. First played it on a friends Apple ][e.

I used to play the updated Windows one that Sierra released Lode Runner - The Legend Returns. Fun stuff.

ME TOO! I was obsessed with the updated Windows version. The same updated version was ported over to Mac and PS1, too!

• Like 1

I find lode runner extremely well done on the a8 computer. So good I cant make it past the first screen!! So if someone made it and the game was that difficult I would have to pass. How about downland or an updated downland!! If you don't know what that is google it. Never been done outside of the trs version. I would buy 5 copies if someone made that! Yeah I highjacked your thread!! J/K now back to "lode runner'..blah blah lol lol lol J/k

Shouldn't be too hard to port that, there isn't really anything magic about it. I don't have that kind of time though.

Yeah, I kind of doubt it, too. Last PC I tried it on was XP, and it worked fine. I have it for PS1 and play it occasionally through my PS3.

So who is going to step up and make a 7800 version??

I find lode runner extremely well done on the a8 computer. So good I cant make it past the first screen!! So if someone made it and the game was that difficult I would have to pass. How about downland or an updated downland!! If you don't know what that is google it. Never been done outside of the trs version. I would buy 5 copies if someone made that! Yeah I highjacked your thread!! J/K now back to "lode runner'..blah blah lol lol lol J/k

Downland looks interesting, Jinks (I had never heard of it), but I'm partial to Lode Runner :)

Downland looks interesting, Jinks (I had never heard of it), but I'm partial to Lode Runner :)

I had downland as a kid. Every coleco, intellivision, and some NES kids would come over to play as I was the only kid in town with it and they were not going to run out and buy a coco 2.

Lode runner is a cool game as well. I remember playing on a old tandy 1000 30 some years ago wben having the green monochrome was the upgrade over amber.

• Like 1

I have a DOS PC and a PS1 but never played Lode Runner - The Legend Returns on either of them.

How did I miss that :-o

Will have to check it out as I love the Lode Runner games!! :-D

Gotta get on that, Jouster! It was an extremely well done reimagination of Lode Runner with different themed "worlds," various traps at your disposal for the bad guys (cannibal monks in the updated versions, believe it or not!)...HIGHLY recommend it.

Honestly I could see a 7800 version somewhere between the classic Lode Runner and the Windows/PS1 Lode Runner Returns! That would be a blast to play. A man can dream...

Personally I think this game is screaming to be done in 320B mode. High resolution in 7 colors would be a dream!

I'm not at all familiar with the programming side of things so I had to look up 320B. In case there are any others out there like me: https://sites.google.com/site/atari7800wiki/graphics-modes

:)

• Like 1

Personally I think this game is screaming to be done in 320B mode. High resolution in 7 colors would be a dream!

As someone using 320B primarily, it's not quite 7 colors. Colors P0C1 and P4C1 have limitations on when they can be used - using them outside of those limitations results in nothing being displayed So it's best to go into it thinking "5 colors, with occasional splatterings of 2 other colors!"

• Like 4

The homebrew Froggie makes excellent use of the 320B mode. Schmutzpuppe provided details.

In the same thread, PAC-MAN-RED highlighted how the palettes are arranged.

Screen capture is posted below for convenience:

Froggie_Palettes.png

Very cool. Appreciate the visual, Trebor. Seeing Froggie with all these colors makes me think Tapper would also look great using 320B mode. Would likely come close to recreating the arcade experience! And that music with Pokey...now I'm salivating ?

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well if my Sky Scraper project comes off well and I feel confident enough in 7800basic at that point, I might give it a try.

Synthpopalooza, you about ready to tackle the Lode Runner on 7800 project?! And/or any others that are up to the task! I may even be willing to be an investor!