Photo

ti-99/4 (not A) equation calculator

6 replies to this topic

#1 notwhoyouthink OFFLINE  

notwhoyouthink

Star Raider

• 68 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 PM

The TI-99/4 had a equation calculator built into it.

It was removed in the 4a, but i was wondering if anyone has tried to recreate it, (looks, functionality and everything) for TI Basic, XB or Assembly?

#2 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 AM

No need to. We got Muliplan instead.

#3 chue OFFLINE  

chue

Chopper Commander

• 134 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:23 AM

My understanding is that everything you can do in the equation calculator, you can do in TI BASIC.

TI BASIC Calculator

Is there something specific you are trying to do?

#4 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Dragonstomper

• 508 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 PM

No need to. We got Muliplan instead.

The 99/4 Equation Calculator menu option is evidence that this calculator company lacked vision and invited too many calculator engineers to the party.

I'd be interested to hear about the decision to remove that (along with the calculator style overlay ready keyboard) from the 99/4A.

Seems the calculator guys lost a battle but not before TI had already embarrassed themselves.

#5 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Dragonstomper

• 508 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:10 PM

The 99/4 Equation Calculator menu option is evidence that this calculator company lacked vision and invited too many calculator engineers to the party.

I'd be interested to hear about the decision to remove that (along with the calculator style overlay ready keyboard) from the 99/4A.

Seems the calculator guys lost a battle but not before TI had already embarrassed themselves.

Of course hindsight is always 20/20. I suppose it can be argued that the 99/4's overall form factor was better than the Atari 400 and PET.

Edited by Airshack, Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:11 PM.

• RXB likes this

#6 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 PM

Also TI99 compared to the Vic20 the TI looked easy to use.

#7 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 AM

They not only invited a few calculator engineers to the party, they gave the whole responsibility for the TI 99/4 to the calculator division. They probably thought that a "home computer" was just a over-fed calculator anyway. To the calculator guys, the equation calculator probably made just as much sense as the chicklet style keyboard, which resembled a, well, I already wrote it, over-fed calculator's keys.

Take a look at the TI 74, the BASICALC, and you see the same idea again. By pressing a mode switch, you have either a full-function (but not programmable) scientific calculator, or you have a small BASIC-programmable computer. The BASIC is pretty similar to the Extended BASIC in the 99/4A.

For some unimaginable reason, it's two completely different things in the same housing. You can't even pass a value from the BASIC part to the calculator or vice versa. It would have been much smarter if there was some pre-defined data structure, like an array CALC(0..9) which corresponds with the storage registers 0-9 on the calculator. But no.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users