IGNORED

Atari 600 XL

DaveAtari

Yup...most of the software made will state 400/800, but there are a number of newer XL/XE computer models that Atari released that are compatable with most of the library (on it's own or with the Translator disk).

Or plug-in a new OS rom so you can switch between the 400/800 OS and the XL/XE OS so you don't need to load the translator.

With the 400/800 OS the 600XL will be like the 400/800 (16Kb) only with out joystick port 3 and 4....

A 256k expansion supposedly works for both 600XL and 800XL...but the 64k one probably wouldn't work like it's supposed to (since the Ram would be configured to use the same base 64k area that the 800XL's memory already has covered...you'd plug it in and it wouldn't show any change at all). Right?

If this 256k expansion has the same memory map of the first 64k as the 600XL&1064, and I don't see why it wouldn't be (also the same as the 800XL, after all a 64k 600xl and a 64k 800xl are virtually the same, right?), I then make a logical guess that it would basically ignore the internal 64k ram of an 800XL, in favor of the module memory, and the 800XL would work fine, kinda like a 600XL with the 1064, only 256k instead of 64k; same with the 600XL and this module.

Maybe the internal and external memory would conflict and you'd have to disable at least 48k of the internal memory? So it would work like a 600XL and memory module? Or does the 1064 disable the internal 16k of the 600XL in favor of a full 64k mocule? Or is the 1064 really only 48k+16k of the 600XL to make a total of 64k?

These would be the questions that need answering to have a good understanding of how these memory modules would respond depending on whether they are installed in a 600 or 800XL. :ponder:

Another question is whether this memory module is Rambo/Axlon compatible or XE compatible?

You can pick up the 1064 64k upgrade new for around $20, just plugs straight in the back.

I'm presuming it works with the 800XL as well, anyone tried it?

Hmm it should work the technique it used is funny.

Normal the 600XL has 16KB but there is an option to disable the internal ram and use external ram. This line is used on the 1064 which means your internal 16Kb just will be disabled and you use the external 64Kb.

On the 800XL with 64Kb it should work the sameway but what's the use then to disable the internal 64Kb for external 64Kb? The only use I can think of is to rebuild the 1064 for static ram with a battery.

TXG/MNX

You can pick up the 1064 64k upgrade new for around $20, just plugs straight in the back.

Normal the 600XL has 16KB but there is an option to disable the internal ram and use external ram. This line is used on the 1064 which means your internal 16Kb just will be disabled and you use the external 64Kb.

On the 800XL with 64Kb it should work the sameway but what's the use then to disable the internal 64Kb for external 64Kb? The only use I can think of is to rebuild the 1064 for static ram with a battery.

TXG/MNX

The 800XL doesn't have a 5 volt power line on the PBI so you first have to solder a wire inside the 800XL from a +5V source to pin 47 and 48 of the PBI.

Robert

TXG/MNX

The 800XL doesn't have a 5 volt power line on the PBI so you first have to solder a wire inside the 800XL from a +5V source to pin 47 and 48 of the PBI.

Robert

Yes or feed the 5V right in the interface and tap it from the joystick or normal power supply when you don't want to solder inside your computer...

Archived