IGNORED

Forget VR! Microsoft MIXED REALITY HoloLens is the Future & I HAVE IT

Microsoft's HOLOLENS is a $3,000 mixed reality technical marvel...and I got the opportunity to play many of the games ...in my own game room.

Games Shown:

Fragments
RoboRaid
Young Conker
Actiongram
Galaxy Explorer
HoloTube
Anybody else see the potential for this device? Not just for games, but other computer applications too.
  • Like 5

We have had one at work since the developers pre release, videos do not do it justice! Needs to be lighter but playing Conker in a large cubical environment is very cool, it is aware every surface (horizontal/vertical and underneath,) the random level generation based the real world is amazing. It is a full Windows 10 machine built into it and I wore it in my office for awhile. You can uses all your normal apps and pin them to the walls so I had Outlook and word on one wall, VLC on another playing a tv show that I could see out of the corner of my eye and I could quickly look at if some thing drew my attention. The third wall had my calendar and some other monitoring tools. If you have a Microsoft Store near you go check it out in person.

• Like 2

You can uses all your normal apps and pin them to the walls so I had Outlook and word on one wall, VLC on another playing a tv show that I could see out of the corner of my eye and I could quickly look at if some thing drew my attention. The third wall had my calendar and some other monitoring tools. If you have a Microsoft Store near you go check it out in person.

You're absolutely right about this and I didn't really cover it like I should have in the video. The ability to pin your apps around the room and have them stick there... even when you come back days or weeks later just feels like magic. And it does it when you MOVE between rooms too. The implementation of the Kinect technology is really what makes this special.

I remain unconvinced that VR is anything besides a neat gimmick, at least as far as pedestrian uses for it go. It may end up having a second life in the professional sector like Kinect (it's used for medical tech now), but I think the way tech companies are trying to push it as a consumer product is misguided.

• Like 3

While I'm sure AR will have its uses, for games, a lot will depend a lot on the environment you are in. VR gives developers full control over that.

For example

in VR a game like Skyrim will take you to another world to fight dragons or whatever.

AR will have you fighting dragons... in your office park? Cool for sure, but I don't think ultimately it would hold my interest as long.

I don't think ultimately it would hold my interest as long.

Imagine playing a top down RTS like Command & Conquer or Warcraft 2...but on your actual kitchen table? That could be pretty damn cool.

Or maybe a mix of D&D, where the DM has a top view on the table and the rooms and corridors...but the players see it in first person traditional VR? The possibilities are pretty amazing.

• Like 1

I say.. brush up your Unity skills...and be the first:

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/04/29/announcing-support-for-microsoft-hololens/

I'm sure there's already hundreds in secret development already. ;)

$3000 is hardly going to help it spread to the masses. Kinda makes VR setups seem kinda cheap actually. Where I'm not able to afford a VR setup, I don't see this being on my radar regardless of what gets released for it. Where it's Microsoft I'm sure it phones home everything it can about you while it's at it anyway. :D

I could a swore this device released years ago and basically flopped on its ass. Did I miss something?

Not sure if it's been out that long but I know they've been talking about it for about as long as the VR setups have been around.

Still gotta wear funky VR headgear. And outside of the professional sector, it's a solution in search of a problem.

It would be amusing to see all the mothering and technical fiddling needed to get something like this working, let alone make a video. I'm happy that it is the future, as long as it stays in the future.

I remain unconvinced that VR is anything besides a neat gimmick, at least as far as pedestrian uses for it go. It may end up having a second life in the professional sector like Kinect (it's used for medical tech now), but I think the way tech companies are trying to push it as a consumer product is misguided.

Yes. Absolutely. VR is useful and enhances certain select activities. And most all of them are professional and educational. Walmart bargain-bin VR is hopefully many years away.

The industry has been trying to push VR on the consumer since the early 1990's. And some 25 years later they have yet to succeed.

---

The Holmes Stereoscope.. Something like this is just as good, perhaps better, because you can take a moment to study the scenery and actually learn something. It doesn't fret and bounce around like an idiot trying to entertain itself!

post-4806-0-21339300-1500153527_thumb.jpg

Imagine playing a top down RTS like Command & Conquer or Warcraft 2...but on your actual kitchen table? That could be pretty damn cool.

Or maybe a mix of D&D, where the DM has a top view on the table and the rooms and corridors...but the players see it in first person traditional VR? The possibilities are pretty amazing.

That's just the thing with VR. Everything surrounding it seems cool. Can be cool. But all the restrictions and technicalities quickly turn it into an annoyance. So I say, "Convince me otherwise!"

---

People are looking for the razzle-dazzle glitz and "cyber-power" that "hollywood VR" has. It's never going to be that way. And that's all consumer VR has going for it.

Edited by Keatah

After watching this a second time I have a question. When you are using the headset is your room part of the video or are you seeing it through the lenses? I hope for the later.

What you see from my perspective is exactly how I see it with the headset. The only difference is my eyes saw everything in 3D and in a higher resolution.

What you see from my perspective is exactly how I see it with the headset. The only difference is my eyes saw everything in 3D and in a higher resolution.

I meant only the room itself. Is the room video displayed on the screens or are you seeing it through the lenses and the computer is overlaying characters over it. It's kind of hard to describe this through text.

After watching this a second time I have a question. When you are using the headset is your room part of the video or are you seeing it through the lenses? I hope for the later.

Imagine wearing sunglasses, the room you see is with your own eyes. All the computer generated objects and critters are projected onto the inside of the lens so you are seeing both the real world and the computer generated stuff, at a high frame rate, it is actually a way more immersive experience than other, regular vr setups since you aren't blind to the real world you are standing in. Hololens lets you record "what you see" or even just broadcast it, but it is at a lower resolution so no video can do justice to the hands on. Naysayers usually have never actually tried the Hololens and like to pick at it as if it is just another VR headset, but having used both, regular VR and Hololens are night and day.

With Hololens you could recreate the Star Wars chess scene and still see and interact with the other people around the table, grab your beer etc....try doing that with the Oculus.

I meant only the room itself. Is the room video displayed on the screens or are you seeing it through the lenses and the computer is overlaying characters over it. It's kind of hard to describe this through text.

Oh you are referring to the 2nd camera? I had two additional cameras to capture me walking around the room and then I just added that in post in the corner to give people context