Version 2.90 of my emulator Altirra is now officially released:
As usual, thanks to everyone for feedback and encouragement. This release is functionally the same as the last test release, but here are the highlights:
- 5200: Built-in database now provides mapper types for the popular cartridges, reducing the need to guess between 16K one-chip and two-chip.
- Cassette: Improved randomization, more boot options, improved acceleration support.
- Development: Many fixes to coprocessor debugging on Veronica or disk drives, export profiling data, capture debugger logs.
- Devices: Attach multiple SCSI devices to the emulated BlackBox or MIO, change the PBI device ID on your IDE+2. Accuracy fixes for VBXE and modems.
- Disk drives: Full emulation of popular disk drives, including: 810, 1050, US Doubler, Happy 810/1050, 1050 Turbo, Speedy 1050, XF551, Indus GT, and ATR8000. Run the original firmware and utilities for the drives, even ones that upload custom code; see track buffering, LED displays, and even boot CP/M on the drive. Emulate multiple drives at once and reenact a multi-copy between them.
- Firmware: More fixes to the built-in firmware, and a new command to export the internal ROM sets for use on your real hardware or other emulators.
- Hardware: CTIA emulation, change 65C816 speed on the fly without restarting, ANTIC and POKEY accuracy fixes.
- UI: Borderless mode, improved NTSC artifacting and default palettes, hold keys on reset, take screenshots with correct aspect ratio, confirm before reset or exit, improved XEP80 display support, resizable disk dialog with drag-and-drop support.
And, now, time to start the next set of test releases:
- C++ compiler updated from VS2015.3 to VS2017.2.
- System requirements change: SSE2 support is now required; 2.90 will be the last version supporting Athlon XP and Pentium III CPUs. Minimum OS is still Windows XP SP2 for now.
- Cassette tape revamp: OSD shows %age position, current tape is saved along with other mounted images, raw FSK decoder improved, turbo decoding options added. New analysis mode writes out a multichannel audio file that can be viewed in a sound editor to compare the raw audio against the FSK and turbo decoder outputs to check where and why errors are occurring. Debugger history can now label instruction execution with tape position.
- Debugger history window upgraded with more powerful loop detector, supporting larger loops, nested loops, and subroutine calls within loops.
- ATBasic updated to 1.55: now compatible with programs that directly peek at the internal variable for current DATA line.
- VideoBoard XE revamp: core version is now selectable between FX1.20, FX1.24, and FX1.26. Pre-FX1.26 cores show the VBXE-specific GR.11 emulation bug, and FX1.26 enables the new priority bit scheme. Attribute map and overlay collision detection is implemented, attribute map cells narrower than 8 pixels work now. Blits can now start and stop mid-scanline and blitter speed has been adjusted to be more accurate.
- SCSI devices now support fast and slow timing.
- The browser (B:) device is now supported for launching the web browser from within the emulation.
- PS4 controllers are now detected and appear in the input UI with button and axis names.
- Saved ATX disks now use a unique creator ID.
- Improved high DPI support in the UI: dialogs now automatically adjust to per-monitor DPI, and the new per-monitor V2 support in Windows 10 Creator's Update is now also supported.