Altirra 2.90 released

altirra emulation

285 replies to this topic

#276 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,346 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:45 PM

I wonder if toggling the "reuse instance" option would help?

#277 baktra OFFLINE  

baktra

Moonsweeper

• 367 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:55 PM

I wonder if toggling the "reuse instance" option would help?

I don't believe so. This option is in effect when Altirra is already running and you try running it again.

I would suspect graphics card drivers. When running Altirra for the first time, I would try selecting different graphics API before closing it. Tools/Options/Display. You can begin with deselecting Direct 3D. Then close Altirra and try running it again.

#278 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,114 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 PM

Have you updated your graphics card/chip drivers?

Do NOT just search for the drivers. You will get plenty of malware sites. If the driver comes from hp.com, dell.com, or a legit site, that's good, but stay away from driverguide.com and places that want to install their own driver tool.

I use drp.su with generally good results. Just make sure to select expert mode and UN-select all applications that you don't want.

#279 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,346 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 PM

If it's on by default, maybe turn it off. The reuse instance..

#280 phaeron ONLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,254 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:13 PM

I know what's causing the debugger crash and will fix it in the next test release. It's caused by a bug in the command alias handling.

Computer hard failing: OS, driver, or hardware issue. Make sure you have all outstanding fixes for XPSP3 installed, and besides graphics drivers, check your sound drivers. It won't be the reuse instance option as that's still entirely in unprivileged code.

#281 antrykot OFFLINE  

antrykot

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 AM

Hi,

I've also encountered a crash in the debugger.

I have a code like this

org $2000
main
        lda #$66
;##TRACE "a=%02x" (a)
        rts

run main

So I compile it, load it into Altirra, it is executed, the trace is printed and everything is fine,
but then I go to the disassembly window, click on the highlighted line (the rts instruction at $2002), press F9, and this is what happens:

---------------------------
Altirra Program Failure
---------------------------
A fatal error has occurred in the emulator. A minidump file called AltirraCrash.mdmp has been written for diagnostic purposes.
Exception code: 80000001  PC: 005ab570

I am using 32-bit Windows XP SP3.

Another thing I've found, the NOP zp (opcode $04) takes 4 cycles to execute in the emulator, it should take 3.

Edited by antrykot, Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:01 AM.

#282 baktra OFFLINE  

baktra

Moonsweeper

• 367 posts

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 AM

I know what's causing the debugger crash and will fix it in the next test release. It's caused by a bug in the command alias handling.

Computer hard failing: OS, driver, or hardware issue. Make sure you have all outstanding fixes for XPSP3 installed, and besides graphics drivers, check your sound drivers. It won't be the reuse instance option as that's still entirely in unprivileged code.

Another possibility would be running the DXDIAG and trying all the tests (sound and graphics) offered. I believe that DX 9 diag still includes the tests.

Edited by baktra, Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 AM.

#283 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,346 posts

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 PM

Run memtest.

#284 phaeron ONLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,254 posts

Posted Today, 12:03 AM

http://www.virtualdu...2.99-test14.zip

http://www.virtualdu...-test14-src.zip

Fixes debugger alias and toggle breakpoint crashes, fixed $04 opcode to be 3 cycles, fixed a DirectSound initialization issue that didn't seem to be causing functional issues but was triggering warnings, fixed an occasional pause in emulation when switching from PAL to NTSC.

Compatibility note: if you've upgraded to Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update, full screen mode may fail to work in all versions. From what I can tell, Microsoft broke some methods of doing full screen mode in D3D9 with their "fullscreen optimizations," and I'll have to make some major changes to the display code to work around their breakage. I've verified this on two independent systems, one with an Intel graphics card and another with NVIDIA, so it's not a driver problem. To work around it, either enable D3D11 mode or check the "disable fullscreen optimizations" compatibility option on the program's Compatibility property tab in Explorer.

#285 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,342 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Today, 7:06 AM

http://www.virtualdu...2.99-test14.zip

http://www.virtualdu...-test14-src.zip

Fixes debugger alias and toggle breakpoint crashes, fixed $04 opcode to be 3 cycles, fixed a DirectSound initialization issue that didn't seem to be causing functional issues but was triggering warnings, fixed an occasional pause in emulation when switching from PAL to NTSC.

Compatibility note: if you've upgraded to Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update, full screen mode may fail to work in all versions. From what I can tell, Microsoft broke some methods of doing full screen mode in D3D9 with their "fullscreen optimizations," and I'll have to make some major changes to the display code to work around their breakage. I've verified this on two independent systems, one with an Intel graphics card and another with NVIDIA, so it's not a driver problem. To work around it, either enable D3D11 mode or check the "disable fullscreen optimizations" compatibility option on the program's Compatibility property tab in Explorer.

In both Altirra 2.99-test 13 and -test 14, and using Direct3D 11, full-screen works fine for me on the latest Windows update (Build 17017.rs_prerelease.171010-1400).  However, in some prior Windows builds, my combination of hardware (Intel Integrated and GTX1070 graphics), I've had to switch to OpenGL to get things to work properly. 

#286 phaeron ONLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,254 posts

Posted Today, 1:25 PM

In both Altirra 2.99-test 13 and -test 14, and using Direct3D 11, full-screen works fine for me on the latest Windows update (Build 17017.rs_prerelease.171010-1400).  However, in some prior Windows builds, my combination of hardware (Intel Integrated and GTX1070 graphics), I've had to switch to OpenGL to get things to work properly. 

You're running prerelease Insider builds -- released Fall Creator's Update is 16299.19, while 17017 is from the Insider preview line. All bets are off in that case as I've seen even worse breakage in those builds in the past, such as all windowed-mode presentation being broken, and more recently device clipping not working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: altirra, emulation

3 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users