Altirra 2.90 released

altirra emulation

106 replies to this topic

#101 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,472 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:20 PM

When you full-screen the emulator, it's essentially a media player, so perhaps some ideas could be borrowed (auto-hiding control bar, etc). I happen to have Altirra laid out like this (occupying a whole second monitor) 99 per cent of the time:

Capture.PNG

I could not deal with floating palettes so I got used to docking the debugger windows in that exact arrangement and ended up sticking with it. Altirra's UI is already pretty flexible in this sense, but keeping everyone happy (or trying to) must be a headache.

#102 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 17,379 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:59 PM

I would love the following items

• Dialog windows working in full screen (if technically possible, of course)

They work in full screen. You probably have a problem with your graphics settings.

#103 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,196 posts

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 PM

Floating windows won't be the default -- too messy and adds new problems without actually solving existing ones. Docked or auto-hide is a much better experience.

Note that there is some existing drag-and-drop functionality for drives -- if you right-drop you will get a context menu to mount to specific drive slots.

Dialogs only work in full screen if you are using one of the less well supported display modes (GDI/DirectDraw/OpenGL) or have the borderless option enabled. This is because dialogs can't be supported in exclusive full screen mode and won't be fixed. Use borderless mode if this is a problem for you.

#104 gorgh ONLINE  

gorgh

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:01 AM

I've noticed an inacurracy in Altirra 2.80. When I changed DL during the display of the frame Altirra hasn't crashed but on real Atari the code crashed.
edit: unfortunatelly I cannot provide any more information, because I haven't got this bug in my files, and I can't remember what exactly was happening.

Edited by gorgh, Yesterday, 1:03 AM.

#105 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,196 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:24 AM

I've noticed an inacurracy in Altirra 2.80. When I changed DL during the display of the frame Altirra hasn't crashed but on real Atari the code crashed.
edit: unfortunatelly I cannot provide any more information, because I haven't got this bug in my files, and I can't remember what exactly was happening.

This is not nearly enough information to assume it is an inaccuracy in the emulator.

There are many reasons this can occur that are completely correct behavior. For one thing, there is a main division in the XL/XE line between models that have a floating data bus and a pulled up bus. Both are emulated, depending on whether you select 800XL or 130XE as the base hardware. If the display list fetch extends into the hardware region, this can then depend upon what hardware you have occupying the cartridge control region ($D5xx) and the PBI regions ($D6xx and $D7xx). Then, there is usage of uninitialized memory, the contents of which depends both on the type of RAM chips that you have as well as the loader that you have used to load the problem. Finally, the exact timing at which the program starts will influence when the display list is switched and exactly what garbage data ANTIC reads. Unless you are running your program directly from a cartridge, it is almost certain the program will not start at the same beam location.

Long story short, it is not reasonable to expect that the emulator will show you the exact same results as your physical computer in all cases, especially when it isn't configured identically. Like running on a second computer, running on the emulator in one configuration does not rule out all possible failures. However, the emulator does make it easier to try many configurations, as well as diagnostic modes that are more likely to reveal specific types of common problems.

Finally... this is the 2.90 thread, so if you actually did mean 2.80, it is time to upgrade.

#106 Atari_Force OFFLINE  

Atari_Force

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:16 PM

If you start Altirra, the previously mounted drives still mounted.
Maybe an option would be helpful: If Altirra is closed, unload all drives (disks, cassette)

#107 baktra OFFLINE  

baktra

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Today, 4:02 AM

Dialogs only work in full screen if you are using one of the less well supported display modes (GDI/DirectDraw/OpenGL) or have the borderless option enabled. This is because dialogs can't be supported in exclusive full screen mode and won't be fixed. Use borderless mode if this is a problem for you.

I will have to subject this to a deeper experimentation. If I select only "OpenGL" Tools->Options->Display and restart Altirra, opening a dialog kicks me from full screen. This is not a complaint. I am new to Altirra and just getting familiar with it, so I tend to miss things or ask questions that have obvious RTFM answers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: altirra, emulation

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users