stella new tia debugger

63 replies to this topic

#51 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Dragonstomper

• 728 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 AM

Yes, it works for me as well.  Go to the downloads page, or download from the Visual C++ Redistributable link.

It worked - Thanks!!!

#52 hizzy ONLINE  

hizzy

Dragonstomper

• 645 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:25 PM

Works great! Just played Draconian with it!! 

#53 stephena ONLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,866 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 PM

The point release should be within a week.  There's something else I'd like to get fixed, but if it ends up taking too long, we'll just release as-is.

#54 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 17,379 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:01 PM

That'll suit me just dandy-flappers..

#55 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:59 PM

This issues with keypad controllers is now fixed, thanks to DirtyHairy.  This also affects several other controllers, notably the Genesis.  The fix will be in the next point release, which we hope to do soon, after fixing up a few other minor issues.

It turns out that the actual issue was more complicated than I though and connected to differences between the paddle circuit and the keyboard circuit. You can find a (lenghty) explanation here if you're curious: https://github.com/s...tella/issues/17

#56 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 17,379 posts

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 AM

The wife pointed out that most games or all games start with a delay of some sort like Air-Sea Battle or Cosmic Ark. Chosen as arbitrary examples and ease of making screenshots. She kept me up till I made screenshots and reported it. She thinks it breaks the illusion of the real VCS. I won't argue.

Air-Sea Battle starts normally on old Stella, but new Stella it is missing some 10 or 15 frames it seems. These screenies show immediate start, and delayed start. Notice how the planes are farther to the left on old, and on new they start later.

Air-Sea Battle (1977) (Atari)_3.png Air-Sea Battle (1977) (Atari)_6.png

And note in Cosmic Ark, on old Stella, we get to see the mothership rezz-up from the very first line like so. The first line, and then two more. And so on till it's complete.

Cosmic Ark (1982) (Imagic)_22.png Cosmic Ark (1982) (Imagic)_23.png

But with new 5.0 Stella the ship almost pops onto the screen, half-way completed already. This is the first image or very close to it +/- a frame or two. It doesn't start at the beginning like old stella.

Cosmic Ark (1982) (Imagic)_2.png

Another example would be Demon Attack, the old Stella shows the plasma cannon actually firing out of the ship. On new Stella, the game image starts being drawn too late, and the cannon fire appears to begin mid-screen. So we're missing frames.

I don't know what's all going on in there. But I think if you guys are doing some sort of frame detection and analysis.. why not keep doing it as you are now. Keep the screen black, sound off, run the game, get the reading on YStart or whatever. Full stop. Turn on the screen and restart the rom "old-style" with the value just tested/discovered. Just plug it in. And this 2nd time, no need to hide the screen. No need to mess with the sound, it would work like versions 3 and 4 that didn't do that funky autodetecting stuff.

Cheating? Maybe. I call it taking a look, getting the lay of the land, setting things up. Unless a more elegant solution can be developed..?

And maybe it could be done in emulator time and not user time. We wouldn't even know it happened! So what do you think?

Edited by Keatah, Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 AM.

#57 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,462 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:25 AM

On real hardware something very similar happens. Therefore I consider this as a feature, not a bug. :)

#58 stephena ONLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,866 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 AM

This has been reported in https://github.com/s...ella/issues/176.  It won't be fixed for the next point release, but we're looking into it for the one after that.

BTW, Stella 5.0.1 will be posted in 30 minutes or so, which fixes the keypad controller issues.

#59 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 622 posts

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:37 PM

I tried the 64 bit version for Windows 10 and the games seem to be running at about 1/4 normal speed.  Do I need to use a different version or change a setting?

#60 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 17,379 posts

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 PM

Change in behavior with save-states? #9 is the point in question. For example.

Old stella:

1- load game rom

2- play game

3- make a save state at some point, because it's an interesting point in the game

4- exit to rom selector

5- goto options>videosettings>framerate and adjust to 10 to study the action

6- load rom again

7- game is running slow at 10fps

8- load savestate to get to interesting point

9- game still continues to run at 10fps and we can study the action

New stella:

1- load game rom

2- play game

3- make a save state at some point, because it's an interesting point in the game

4- exit to rom selector

5- goto options>videosettings>framerate and adjust to 10 to study the action

6- load rom again

7- game is running slow at 10fps

8- load savestate to get to interesting point

9- game speeds up to the original speed in original savestate. Can't study the action

10- Game speed has to be adjusted, in-game, with the tab menu

..is this expected behavior in v5? A more complete set of options being saved?

#61 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 22,462 posts

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:09 AM

I tried the 64 bit version for Windows 10 and the games seem to be running at about 1/4 normal speed.  Do I need to use a different version or change a setting?

Are you maybe using very old, now too slow hardware? What's the CPU load in the TaskManager?

Else, check the Video Settings, especially the Framerate.

#62 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,750 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 AM

I'm just curious about this comment..

• Several other ROMs that have never worked in any emulator are now emulated correctly

Could someone list some of those ROMs?  I'm just curious what they are.

Thanks..

#63 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:49 AM

I'm just curious about this comment..

• Several other ROMs that have never worked in any emulator are now emulated correctly

Could someone list some of those ROMs?  I'm just curious what they are.

Thanks..

From the top of my head:

#64 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 22,462 posts

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 AM

Meltdown is the most obvious one. Plus some ROMs with rather subtle fixes (e.g. Pole Position, Pete Rose Baseball, Spike's Peak, Snoopy and the Red Baron, Tapper, Video Chess).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch, Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stella, new tia, debugger

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users