Hey Stella Team:
1) Is there a way to dump ram to a text file? I tried dump and it shows in the debugger. I would like to be able to export it or at least be able to copy paste it.
2) Stella recently caught a bug for me where I had a cmp ($F7,X) command reading an somewhere that must have had some undefined bits. I am thankful for that, but it was extremely hard to pin down that one line of code. The problem was I once I saw it happen in the debbuger I would rewind and go forward again scanline by scanline, but the undefined value would not be the same when I hit that line of code so it would work. I had the same issue with trying to locate it with savestates.
3) It looks like strobes are now working in the debugger, thank you very much!
4) I made use of "X" and "Y" in the terminal command set by using a breakif statement for pc==address and y==some value. The listing in the debugger seems to imply to me that X an Y can only be used to set a value, but obviously and to our benefit that is not the case. Can this info please be updated to be more clearer?
5) I ran into glitch in Stella with a rom that changes from a splash screen to instruction screen. The first few frames of instruction screen the bottom line of text is unchanged, but as soon after it rises up a few lines. Looking in the debugger the scanline those graphics appear on is the same. I am just taking a guess, but maybe this is some code that automatically adjusts the Y pos start of the display? Something that has been tweeked so that Stella can handle games that change the display count (i.e. PAL --> NTSC) on the fly with a menu?
I will PM the rom to you stephena and DirtyHairy.
Thanks again for all the hardwork. I know that I am listing a lot of problems here, but I only want to make Stella better.
I will address each point in turn:
- There is no way to save RAM to text file currently. I have created an issue for it: https://github.com/s...ella/issues/202. BTW, this is now the preferred way to report bugs and or request enhancements; create an issue on Github. Also, each issue should be for one specific thing.
- Rewind outside the debugger is https://github.com/s...tella/issues/71. There is no ETA for this yet. As for the undefined value changing, this was because the random data wasn't being saved to the state file; this is now fixed.
- Good that strobes are working. In addition to a completely new TIA implementation, the debugger got a huge overhaul in 5.0 too.
- I'm not sure what you mean. The 'X' and 'Y' commands can indeed only be used to set the registers; try just typing the command itself, and it will request you to enter more data. The fact that the registers can be used in conditional breakpoints has nothing to do with the 'X' and 'Y' commands. In fact, all registers can be used in conditional breakpoints.
- This is being looked into.