IGNORED

Serial Mouse inquiry

Sinphaltimus

So I was on Stuart's website checking out the Web Browser information to see what I needed. I discovered that I can't get it working with the WiFi232, I'd have to setup my UDS-10 for that. But I also noticed the Serial Mouse section.

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#connecting_serial_mouse

I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to find a serial mouse these days when it struck me like a ton of bricks.

I've been reorganizing my basement and sorting all my vintage PC parts when I came across a serial to PS/2 adaptor. My only one. I tossed it into my "serial/Parallel" adaptors box and soon forgot about it until now. With the idea of seeing if this adaptor will work and connect a PS/2 mouse to my TI, I looked at the Serial Mouse write up again.

It's all in assembly, the code that is, so no chance I can decipher it but I also do not know how to enter this code into the TI and save it as a program (compile it or whatever needs to be done). Has anyone already saved this/these program(s) and can you attach here? I've surmised that I will probably need to launch it from EA cart, but that's OK. Just want to see if this adaptor works. My adaptor looks almost exactly like this one but mine has female connections on both ends which is exactly what I want I think, or I may need a 9 pin gender changer for the serial port side. I forget.. https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F4A611-Serial-Adapter-MiniDin6/dp/B00000J1TW

You might be able to play around with your serial mouse by creating a BASIC program that reads the serial port and prints to the screen.

Using the inter-web I found this article. http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/serialmouse/

So you need to configure your TI serial port to "1200 baud, 7 bit, 1 stop bit, no parity"

Read it in an endless loop and see what you get.

B

Your mouse won't work unless it is a 'combo' mouse - one that supports both serial and PS/2 protocols. And there's no obvious way to know if it is or not other than by trying it. The adaptor you have will just be connecting different pins on the two connectors - it doesn't do any protocol conversion. There are plenty of 'true' serial mice on eBay with the correct connector, but prices are becoming a premium ...

• Like 1

Your mouse won't work unless it is a 'combo' mouse - one that supports both serial and PS/2 protocols. And there's no obvious way to know if it is or not other than by trying it. The adaptor you have will just be connecting different pins on the two connectors - it doesn't do any protocol conversion. There are plenty of 'true' serial mice on eBay with the correct connector, but prices are becoming a premium ...

Yeah, I ran into that same issue trying to find a mouse that would work with my Amiga, it needed to be a USB mouse that supported the PS/2 Protocol. Luckily I found a PS/2 muse that worked with a USB adaptor. I'm fairly hopeful I have an old PS/2 mouse that may support serial protocol but I won't know until i test them all. I have a lot of vintage PC mouses. Too many actually. But none Serial. I think I still have a serial WACOm tablet in my attic someplace.

Well I hope this one works. $9.95 with free shipping. It arrived today. But I still have no programs to play with. I don't know what to do with the assembly code on your website Stuart. Does anyone have the program (or other programs) in dsk or bin or E/A or XB or anything I can use straight away?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332259534962

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Well I hope this one works. $9.95 with free shipping. It arrived today. But I still have no programs to play with. I don't know what to do with the assembly code on your website Stuart. Does anyone have the program (or other programs) in dsk or bin or E/A or XB or anything I can use straight away?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332259534962

I've attached a disk image with the mouse program. Unzip it and copy it into a spare volume on your NanoPEB (can go in as any volume). Then using the E/A cartridge you want option 3 "Load and Run", filename DSKx.MOUSE_O (replace x with the drive letter mapped to the volume), program name START.

(I've added the disk image to my web page as well. Also, someone who tried it reported that on the screen where you have to "click [here] to continue", it only works if you click on the last "e" in "here".)

Vol 9 Backup (Mouse).zip

Edited by Stuart

• 3 months later...

I think this is not quite what you were looking for, but for the sake of anyone else who might want it, this sent me looking for the old "Art Mouse" disk I got from Lucie Dorais back in Ottawa. This is a serial mouse driver that I believe was developed by Asgard, and has some XB support IIRC.

Posted here for archive and entertainment. ;)

A_Mouse.DSK

• Like 4