IGNORED

Are Retro Gamers Ruining YouTube?

Though I've been playing the treble recorder for 35 years, making this kind of video has never occurred to me. Perhaps it is for the better.

Then again, you find new kinds of .. uh .. awesome on YouTube every day, if you look for it, so if anything ruins the video service, it is all of us together, none named and none forgotten.

• Like 2

I'm not watching any of these, nor do I feel the need to. "Sturgeon's law" says that ninety percent of everything is crap. How much crap is in crap, then?

attachicon.gif1.png

attachicon.gif2.png

attachicon.gif3.png

attachicon.gif4.png

attachicon.gif5.png

attachicon.gif6.png

attachicon.gif7.png

attachicon.gif8.png

attachicon.gif9.png

attachicon.gif10.png

Ugh, hate all of them. I don't know why people follow and subscribe to all that nonsensical drivel. Shame most of my friends do...perhaps I need new friends! LOL

• Like 1

These are career Youtubers. Look how many hits they get. You take the latest headline, switch the camera on, and talk about it. I'm not going to say they're all crap. I do think Youtube needs to eventually build in a better way to distinguish actual content and just talking heads. Not sure how we do that when the clickbaity stuff gets the views.

I was hoping to get some of their views when I moved up my planned Star Fox 2 video after the SNES Mini was announced, but that hasn't worked so far.

From this thread, it seems more accurate to say the SNES Classic is ruining YouTube.

Nope. Take any headline. Look for ones about the Everdrive voltage then.

Edited by DJ Clae

Give a very high number of people a platform to be heard publicly, and eventually certain figureheads will emerge from the chaos that ensues. It all feels very normal to me, and it also feels normal to me that people who are not the figureheads would eventually complain about the chaos itself. Media, no matter who is at the helm when we watch/listen/read it, affects our everyday lives. Currency exchange rates, oil prices, inter-racial tensions, etc. are all affected by the messages (information or opinion) broadcast by the global media in all its forms.

And all of the above paragraph can be summed up into a single word: Yawn.

• Like 2

I admit I watch alot of those youtube channels as I love retro gaming but 99% of those youtubers all have common elements

1. They believe Nes was the greatest thing ever invented next to Oxygen. 2nd runner up is the SNES

2. The genesis didn't exist and if it did its a "niche" console.

3. What's an Amiga?

4. Shelves in the background filled with boxes of Nintendo 64 games. Sports games are fine as long as the shelves look full.

5. Pick up videos also known as the Brag video. "I got sent Little Samson for free, thanks Jack from Michigan!" Unless the game is super rare or a prototype the pick up videos tend to be the worst for me especially the ones where they are mailed the free shit.

• Like 4

Retro gamers aren't ruining youtube any more than any other space wasting pile of filth up there that has no real entertainment value once you get beyond the shock, stupidity value, or the rest. Still on the whole you can find so much sorta-tv quality stuff from all sorts of topics, and far more interesting and helpfully setup instructional videos for much of anything.

I might watch if they're putting together a Survivor season with retro gaming YouTubers. In particular if they're placed on a deserted place with almost nothing to eat and hard to even find fresh water.

I think a cross between "Naked and Afraid" and "Survivor Antarctica Edition" may actually be interesting.

With a little luck it'll all be over in 30sec.

• Like 1

5. Pick up videos also known as the Brag video. "I got sent Little Samson for free, thanks Jack from Michigan!" Unless the game is super rare or a prototype the pick up videos tend to be the worst for me especially the ones where they are mailed the free shit.

As long as I like their other content, I don't mind the occasional 'look at what I found thrifting today!' Videos dedicated to viewer submissions though, I don't like. It feels like a cross between haughtiness ("look at how much people like me") and busking ("send me things and I'll put them in a video!") It can really come across as games being 'payment' for fan interaction.

I think a cross between "Naked and Afraid" and "Survivor Antarctica Edition" may actually be interesting.

With a little luck it'll all be over in 30sec.

Too much effort. It can be done far more simply:

-Big Brother style setup

-1 console in the house (probably a retron for flexibility)

- A strict rule against buying any other systems, although games are fair play

Either we learn who doesn't really play their retro games, or we watch people choke each other with controller cords for a chance to review their latest pickup.

• Like 1

Now are they gamers or collectors? I get more annoyed with folks showing off games more than knowing the experiences they have when playing them. might as well go around talking about everything in life like that.

So my wife looks great on the shelf and in selfies. No idea what its like to play with her though....but look at the shelf space it looks great with her. :D

• Like 2

Now are they gamers or collectors? I get more annoyed with folks showing off games more than knowing the experiences they have when playing them. might as well go around talking about everything in life like that.

So my wife looks great on the shelf and in selfies. No idea what its like to play with her though....but look at the shelf space it looks great with her. :D

Best post ever.

Edited by jce3000gt

Ugh, hate all of them. I don't know why people follow and subscribe to all that nonsensical drivel. Shame most of my friends do...perhaps I need new friends! LOL

John Hancock is a really cool down to earth guy. I wouldn't catagorize him with the others. He is also a member here. In case you are wondering I am not subscribed to him or any of the others.

• Like 1