IGNORED

An Idea for Crowd Funding: Making 2600 Reproductions

vidak

This may be something that has been brought up elsewhere, but how many 2600 games are there that could even be considered abandonware? Atari, Activision, Imagic and M-Network games are all still actively marketed. Coleco and Parker Bros games were all arcade ports or licensed properties. Those alone rule out a large percentage of the games people come to the 2600 for.

^^ THIS ^^ you guys do realize that "abandonware" is just a made up term coined by people stealing games to feel better about their actions, right? On top of that, and to add to the above post, regardless of whether or not any given game's manufacturer is still in business, some entity, somewhere, owns the rights to that game, or a character in that game or a song in that game, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea in theory, but even a purely non-profit "social mission," as I believe the OP mentioned he would like this to be, would be 100% illegal. I don't like to pull the lawyer card but I am a lawyer. So there's that.

• Like 2

I got paid $18,000 a year with tuition waived, by the university (not student aide) to go to grad school. Not easy street, but not living the slum life either.

I know some schools are able to offer tuition waivers and stipends. Unfortunately, most of my colleagues who've gone to grad school (at least in my field) have had to pay at least part of the sticker price, and with the exception of one who went to an Ivy League school, none have gotten a true no-strings-attached stipend -- usually they've had TAs, which typically has meant teaching undergraduate classes for adjunct pay. Believe me, they'd jump at $18K + no tuition in a heartbeat!

You are welcome here but I wouldn't advertise your political or religious views which is against forum policy anyway.

(Agreed, and) Folks also need to remember that the only correct response to a political post is no response -- in other words, ignoring it and being silent, no matter how they feel about what was said (or how offended they feel).

It's surprising to me how many people think that if someone makes an overt political statement, it's OK for them to respond with their own views because "Jimmy started it!" But AFAIK the ban on political posts means that no one ever gets to put their two cents in, even in response to a provocation -- which is exactly the way it should be: everyone is equally muzzled. :)

• Like 1

Even if you could find games that were public domain (or just decided to ignore the whole "immoral" copyright thing), how many of them would there actually be a repro market for? Anything that can be found for the price of the reproduction or less is out (why buy a repro when you can get the real thing?). Anything rare would be out too. Even if they're sold labelled as reproductions, unscrupulous dealers would snatch up repros being sold at cost, relabel them and try to pass them off as the real deal. What's left?

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

Sorry I didn't realise you're not allowed to talk about political or religious issues. I spend my life talking about nothing but politics and philosophy and I'm not used to having a filter.

I've learned a lot from this thread. It is the assessment of many that there is not a market for reproductions, and even then many besides myself think it would be immoral if not illegal to make reproductions.

The one thing someone probably could do is manufacture new shells for carts, seeing as there is a dwindling amount of them out there.

I was wondering about whether there is much abandonware out there on the Atari 2600, but it seems as if it is the opinion of many that there isn't much abandonware worth reproducing.

Abandonware is a made up term, and it means intellectual property which belongs to no-one. Has an indeterminate owner, or belongs to an owner with rights which are unenforceable.

I think perhaps there are better ways to allow oppressed people to have video games. Sure, workers want bread, but they also want roses. Video games are actually a very inexpensive art form when done correctly. They cost way less than travelling, and in the long run, less than expensive food.

• Like 1

The one thing someone probably could do is manufacture new shells for carts, seeing as there is a dwindling amount of them out there.

If you have the means or know someone who can offer affordable injection molding services, please let Albert know. He's been toying around with the idea of producing 2600/7800 compatible shells for years without the means to produce them.

AtariAge_Cart_Rev3.jpg

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214472-about-cartridges-molds-colors-etc-etc/?p=3038878

There's a dozen companies making molds now for NES, and we see homebrew in brightly colored new shells as a result. I would love for such a product on the Atari scene.

• Like 2