IGNORED

My Apple IIgs Purchase, a nightmare

Banquo

Yes the keyboard has a nice feel to it, though not as nice as my Model M of course. I would probably like the Extended Keyboard II I think.

I took the computer out and opened it up to see what I could salvage if anything, and there wasn't much. The photos I took were nothing compared to the horrors I found underneath the power supply when I took it out. All the chips and caps and everything under it were eaten completely away. It had even eaten through the RF shielding on the side and into the plastic. The front portion of the motherboard was clean and I pulled the two ROM chips and a third longer chip which I don't know what is called at the moment. Those were the only 3 socketed chips. The top half of the case can probably be cleaned up and saved but the bottom is in very bad condition. I don't know if the power supply works or not, it has a lot of corrosion on the outside but the inside seems clean. The only other thing I saw that could be saved is the speaker. I suppose one could desolder the RAM chips but I don't like even touching the thing, so much corrosion and wet green sludge on it. I'm guessing they aren't worth it.

• Like 1

You can't expect every seller to have a 100% rating.

I buy and sell with my ebay account and purchase several things that were not as advertised in the first 100 things I purchased/sold.

Several sellers wouldn't leave feedback until after I did, and I had to leave negative feedback... so they left negative feedback.

Up until I left negative feedback they all had a 100% rating... and once one person (me) gave them negative feedback, buyers seemed to come out of the woodwork with negative feedback for the sellers.

If someone has negative feedback, read it and the reply. Also check to see if the people that left negative feedback are still listed.

Everyone I left negative feedback for was gone within a few months.

Just sayin

Normally a new seller will try to make a good impression on their store and give themselves credibility, so they are usually as honest as they can be. If they are honest, then yeah, they usually can have a 100% rating within the first few hundred sales and it should be expected.

A couple of negative feedbacks I do discard or ignore are for late shipping and, for sellers negative feebacks on buyers, due to, more often than not, is in retaliation to the buyers negative feedback.

Still being listed as a buyer or seller that may have left or received negative feedback is redundant as they can just as easily sign up under a new name and let the old one retire, to start fresh.

The keyboard is not the original but is still quite a good Keyboard (Keyboard II). I have one and really like it. The monitor looks good and if it works that will be great. I think keeping those and a partial refund will still make this deal well worth it. Don't let this deter you on grabbing a IIGS though. You have most of the parts you need (aside a 3 1/2 drive) and your persistence will pay off. It is a super machine.

+1 to this. I have both an original IIgs keyboard and a Keyboard II and I much prefer the Keyboard II (and use it as my main keyboard). It's a very nice keyboard to type on. In comparison, the IIgs keyboard whilst still OK, IMHO definitely has a "cheaper" feel to it.

Normally a new seller will try to make a good impression on their store and give themselves credibility, so they are usually as honest as they can be. If they are honest, then yeah, they usually can have a 100% rating within the first few hundred sales and it should be expected.

A couple of negative feedbacks I do discard or ignore are for late shipping and, for sellers negative feebacks on buyers, due to, more often than not, is in retaliation to the buyers negative feedback.

Still being listed as a buyer or seller that may have left or received negative feedback is redundant as they can just as easily sign up under a new name and let the old one retire, to start fresh.

I'm pretty certain ebay stopped allowing sellers to leave anything except positive feedback for buyers a number of years back. I remember being majorly mad about that at the time because I'd get shill bidders, people who wouldn't pay but leave me negative feedback because they didn't like what I was selling (collectible promotional items), and other BS situations. And I can certainly relate to some of the idiotic negative feedback when looking at some sellers' feedback ratings. As bad or worse than Amazon where people give an item a 1-star rating when they really mean the seller's rating with comments like "took forever to ship" or "never received."